Marathon Trainers

Week of 3-30 (Read 351 times)

My own business has dried. up. Always had an 8-5 job. Did the other thing in the evenings and on weekends. the fact that it's died, leaves me time to run in the evenings. DW is actually very understanding..She just hangs out and relaxes most days. I will forego the real long mid-week runs once taper starts in a couple weeks. Then I will go to a more traditional schedule, and just keep a solid base leading up to Coluimbus.
    Cashmason

5.23 miles tonight around the neighborhood. Time to get some Sea Safe ( a lotion you put on when you swim so if a Jellyfish touches you, you dont feel the sting.)

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - that girl is gone for good. The one that has replaced her thought a nickname would be fun! And jellyfish are so beautiful and unsuspecting yet when you look a little closer you discover they are totally bad ass! So you know I thought that was fitting... hahaha - soo humble I know! Wink I promise you I am not doing all of this alone. I have a friend who is helping me and monitoring my nutrition, aches, pains, mileage, races. So, yes, I'm racing alot, yes, i'm still running during the week, no, I do not taper for these races, yes, I'm building my mileage to better support the racing, yes, I'm taking good care of myself, and yes, I love you for all your concerns. I know there isn't anything I can say to stop the concern, but I really am being as smart as I can about this. If you want I can stop telling you whether or not I'm racing - I don't like causing so much worrying.
          From my perspective, I want to hear/watch what you're doing, Shan -- I miss seeing your log by the way, but I know you have your reasons to keep it private. Have a great race this weekend, and have fun! (I know you will). Longest mid-week run I do is 13 miles. I just.can't.get.up.any.earlier Roll eyes Very light drizzle and warmer this morning at 50°F. It supposed to get windy tomorrow but at least it's only a short run planned. 3.1 miles, 28:46, 9:10/mi, AHR 131 (67% MHR) Tomorrow I'm taking the day off of work to brew beer -- a Czech Pilsner. This is a new recipe, different process from other Czech Pilsners I've brewed -- consequently, it'll be an easier day -- hopefully it turns out ok.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Kimmie

I'm with Lou. I like hearing about your running and races, Shan. I actually want to hear more, just because I think we all learn from each other. You're taking the day off to brew beer? That's very cool. Someday I'd like to try it. My shins are really sore. I have no idea why. This is not usually an issue for me. I'm guessing it's the treadmill. I think I change my stride or something. I don't know. Anytime I read that someone feels like the treadmill is less impact than the road, I'm surprised. Because for me, it seems to be the other way around. I iced them and rolled them. What else should I do? Do you all think that I should take the day off? I'm trying to keep my mileage up there for this relay, but I do have a race on Sunday. Next up, Advil.
              Take tomorrow off Kimmie and run today Smile MTA" ooops if shins are sore maybe you should take the day off. My bad * mom mode on* I just wonder WHY you feel the need to do so much racing this EARLY in your running life Shan. I understand you have a "coach" I don't expect you to justify WHY you are doing this I just hope you understand that by doing all of this you could very well screw up your future running. I really hope it doesn't happen this way but if it does you will soon know what regret is! *mom mode off* (I do have a 19 year old son so even if I'm not quite old enough to be your mom) Yes my shoes are toast. I may go out shoe shopping today and run or I may go shoe shopping and take the day off. I've got the beginnings of a cold (thanks to dh and kids) and I really don't want it to go full blown.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Kimmie

You're taking the day off to brew beer? That's very cool. Someday I'd like to try it.- the beer, not brewing Smile .
                I am not awake today.... Thanks for the input, Pam. I am probably going to take today off and see what that does. I hope your cold does not become full fledged.
                  GO JELLYFISH!! Shan, you know we all love you. I am inspired by your enthusiasm and the passion you have found for running. Some people's bodies are very resiliant--you are one of those people. Im not as worried about you physically (although allowing some recovery time now and then will probably help) as I am that you will just burn out. With me, I know when I get into something, thats all I can think of for weeks or months, and then it loses its appeal.

Bugs

Bugs - I know there isn't anything I can say to stop the concern, but I really am being as smart as I can about this. If you want I can stop telling you whether or not I'm racing - I don't like causing so much worrying.
                    It's your body, time, life. I'm not loosing any sleep over it. Like I said what you're doing is cool, but also sort of reckless, but you know that. Life isn't much fun if you never take a risk but injuries suck too. We all make our own decesions. You post on a public board, you risk hearing what someone thinks of what you're doing. Take with a grain of salt. MTA: As far as "people's bodies are very resiliant--your's is one of them" Hym...I don't know we know that for sure. My first year of marathon running I had zero injuries, I thought injuries were just those other people and I ignored the Cash and Erika warnings too till boom my feet are very hurt. I've read that sometimes when you first start out your tissue is very healthy and more resilent, but it can catch up with you, but anyone of us could be injured tomorrow. Who knows what's going to happen to any of us.

Bugs

Happy Camper

.... My shins are really sore. I have no idea why. This is not usually an issue for me. I'm guessing it's the treadmill. I think I change my stride or something. I don't know. Anytime I read that someone feels like the treadmill is less impact than the road, I'm surprised. Because for me, it seems to be the other way around. I iced them and rolled them. What else should I do? Do you all think that I should take the day off? I'm trying to keep my mileage up there for this relay, but I do have a race on Sunday. Next up, Advil.
                      For me it helps to stretch the calf muscles. Stand facing a wall. Lean into the wall and then push away. Kind of like doing pushups standing up leaning into the wall. It works better for me doing them like pushup reps instead of as a longer, slower stretch. Hope it helps. Beat the rain and crap weather for a 10-miler this morning. Hope the rain breaks tonight as well.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Bugs

Kim, Sorry about the shins. I would try to massage the shin, well actually I'd take my butter knife and glide it over the area that is tight. BTW, my achilles patient was up and running within a week. No doc visit required.

Bugs

Cashmason

Shan is young, and she wants to push her limits. She knows the risks, and is doing what she can to prevent bad things from happening. Rather see her take this kind of risk, than riding a motorcycle with no helmet. Worst she can do here is an injury that will keep her from running for 8 weeks. Best wishes Shan. Go for it. Of to cycle.

Dave

Hmmm... Jellyfish. Jellyfish don't have legs.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Got out for a nice and easy 5.6 miler. Heading out to get new shoes. I think I'm going to try something new this time. Something lighter. Hopefully I don't regret that decision.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Bugs

Hmmm... Jellyfish. Jellyfish don't have legs.
                                They also bite. Shan - I agree with everything Cash said.

Bugs