Connecticut Runners

Tell me about Savin Rock HM (Read 11 times)

Hey guys,

I know a couple of you have run Savin Rock HM before (or at least planned to). It looks pretty well timed as a good tune-up race for Boston (4 or so weeks out). So, I'll probably end up running it, but any opinions (mostly about organization / ease of getting in-out)? Not worried about hills - only question would be is the course accurate / safe / marked? What are the "crowds" like? I guess it's only year 4 for the race, but maybe the kinks are worked out?

Thanks for any thoughts...

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

delicate flower

Hi Kevin.  I ran this race in 2012 (my second HM) and volunteered last year (damn knee).  I'll be running it next year as an early tune up for Vermont City.  It is well organized, as are all the Shoreline Sharks races I've done.  Plenty of water stations, well marked route, police support, mile markers, and closed roads.  No clocks on the course that I can recall though, as I know you like to run sans watch.  Plenty of parking at the conference center if you get there early enough, and if not there is lots of on street parking.  I think the race caps at around 800 people, so crowds will be thin at your pace.  It will sell out.  Crowd support is about what you'd expect for a race of that size.  The shirts and medals are nice if you like that stuff (I do!).

The course measured a hair over 13.1 on my and my friend's Garmins.  I'm surprised to see it's not certified.  I assumed it was.  It's a nice course though.  Four miles or so along the ocean, with the rest being on side streets and some main roads.  The five middle miles are where most of the elevation gain is, and it is not insignificant.

Really, I have nothing but good things to say about this race.  No kinks that need to be worked out IMO.

<3

Awesome, thanks Baboon. Sounds like a good one. Hope to meet you there!

MTA: met mgerwn last weekend at Run Santa Run, so if I meet you that's like 83% of the active Connecticut Runners forum I'll know personally...

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Hi Kevin, good to meet you at RSR ! The one problem that always seems to crop up at bigger Sharks races is congestion at bib pick up on race day. If you're planning to pick up on race morning, leave plenty of time - don't know why, but there never seems to be enough volunteers, or great organization, or something.

As Baboon said, the course is well marked, plenty of traffic control at the corners, either by police or volunteers (the roads are not closed, however).  The first four miles is a pancake flat loop, along the water and through the suburbs around West Haven, back to near the start.  The next five have some pretty tough up and downs, especially in the last 2.5 or so.  Mile 9 ends with a short very steep climb (I power-walked up it in 2012 and passed people who were trying to run up it). Mile 10 is a l-o-o-o-n-g downhill, and the last three are again pancake flat along the shoreline to the finish.

Not a whole lot of crowd support, except at the start and the finish, but the course volunteers will cheer you on well.

Post race, if I recall correctly, is a pasta buffet and Subway sandwiches, plus the usual bagels, bananas, oranges, etc.

Having said all that, if you manage your effort well on the ups, this can be a fast course.  Plenty of downhills to take advantage of gravity on.  It's actually my half marathon PR course - so naturally I'll be out there running it again this year.  See ya both there !

Cool. I'm looking forward to it. Been too long since I've raced a half.

The course actually sounds pretty interesting, different enough to have some challenges and keep from getting boring, but still could be relatively fast. I'm not sure I'll want a pasta buffet and sammitches at 9:30 in the morning, but hey, maybe I will...

delicate flower

Just got an e-mail today and figured I'd pass it along....

100 days until the 4th Annual Savin Rock Half Marathon!  Spring into spring with this awesome race.  Registration has been going strong since October and it looks like another sell out!  600 Maximum field for the Half Marathon and 300 for the 5K.

From 2004-2010 years this race was run as The Shoreline Sharks Half Marathon. The race was renamed in 2011, honoring the great venue that we have. Since 2011 this race is open to ALL! This is just too good to keep to ourselves! Roads will be closed and The Savin Rock Conference Center is open for registration, bathrooms (plus porto-lets), awards, food, etc. The course consists of 4 miles flat (2 along the beach) followed by 5 miles of rolling hills and finishes with 4 miles flat (3 along the beach.) This is the most beautiful race in Connecticut.

Check the new website: www.ShorelineSharks.com

Aid stations every 2 miles stocked with Poland Spring Water, Gatorade Endurance and GU (2.5, 4.5, 6.5, 8.5 & 10.5)
              Custom Finisher Medals for Half Marathon Finishers
              Hot and Delicious Post Race Food Sponsored by Olive Garden
              Custom Race Shirts
              Great Goodie Bags
              Transponder Timing ON THE BIB. The newest and best technology
              Custom Awards for the Top 3 overall and in every 10 year division
              Time Limit for the Half Marathon in 3:30 (16 minute per mile pace)
              This race is perfectly timed within your running season!

DAY BEFORE PACKET PICK-UP AT THE SAVIN ROCK CONFERENCE CENTERFROM 3:30PM-6:30PM!

The Half Marathon Starts at 8am
              The 5K begins at 8:15am

<3

Nice. Do you know when it sold out last year? (just trying to spread my Xmas spending a little)

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

If I recall correctly, it was a week or two before race day last year, and last year's cap was 500.

If you wait until after you get your Christmas bonus you'll be fine (they do put in a couple of price jumps between now and then, though, so it might cost you an extra $10 or so to wait).

delicate flower

They'll also give frequent updates on Facebook on registration counts, so we'll keep you posted in here.

<3

delicate flower

I registered today.  

<3

I registered today.  

And....registered.

delicate flower

<3

Fingers crossed this wet forecast for Saturday improves a little...

And...looks like it may be "cold" and windy, but the rain threat has dissipated. That's good.

If anyone wants to say hi, I'll be racing in a bright lime green singlet and black shorts...but probably have grey sweatshirt and black adidas track pants on until about 10-5 mins to start...

delicate flower

And...looks like it may be "cold" and windy, but the rain threat has dissipated. That's good.

If anyone wants to say hi, I'll be racing in a bright lime green singlet and black shorts...but probably have grey sweatshirt and black adidas track pants on until about 10-5 mins to start...

I'll look for ya!  Not sure yet what I'll be wearing.

Weather forecast could certainly be worse.  If it rains, looks like it won't be a lot.  38 degrees....not bad.  I'll probably wear a long sleeve tech shirt and light gloves.  I am a cold weather wimp.

<3