Connecticut Runners

Milford Winter Wonderland 5 Miler postponed until January 31st (Read 9 times)

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

From our club website:

"Due to the impending winter storm, for the safety of the runners and volunteers and to ensure emergency personnel and Milford DPW are available for storm related emergencies, the Milford Road Runners have decided to POSTPONE the Winter Wonderland 5 Miler until Sunday January 31, 2016. We apologize for any inconvenience."

Whoa - you guys lured Matty P and Sam Alexander out to run. Awesome. With a pretty close finish too - wish I could have seen it. Of course, had I been running I wouldn't have "seen" it at all, by many, many, many minutes...

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
      mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Yeah, we're still kind of mystified how that one happened...

We've been trying to get Matt to come down for several years, to no avail.

This was the first year our RD didn't contact him, and he showed up.

Apparently he's moved from Rhode Island to Sterling, CT, near Sam, which made the trip down for them easier.

I lucked out - I happened to be driving to my assigned corner at 4 miles to volunteer, after dropping off some other volunteers.  I happened to be going down the last half mile straightaway as they were coming in to the finish.  Matt had about 25 yards on Sam when I saw them, and they were both just flying.  Obviously they were both putting it all out there, one trying to keep the lead, the other trying to close the gap, both pushing each other faster and faster.

Matt ended up taking down the previous course record, and Sam also went under 25 minutes - first time anyone has ever broken 25 on that course, and yesterday we had two.  It was fun to watch, and a great day for racing - 39 degrees at the start, no wind, clear roads, and great cloud cover.

We also had a 90-year-old finisher (Herman Bershtein), who got the biggest laugh of the day.  The announcer didn't have the 80+ awards sheet in front of him, so he asked Mr. Bershtein "What was your finishing time ?" Herman responded back with "GOOD !"