Connecticut Runners

2015 Who's Racing Where - Post 'Em if You Got 'Em (Read 15 times)

Moonstruck

So update - race was cancelled on Friday due to the concerns of the state police.  Rescheduled for this upcoming weekend, but unfortunately that's the day of another USATF race: the WPLR 5K in New Haven which I am also registered for.  About 90% planning on doing the 5k as of now, goal of <20:00.

Next up, Baboon in the Colchester Half?

Hmmm...I guess they must be stuck on when they can reschedule? The Cup part of the race is going to be gutted, as I'm sure all the clubs will run shamrock 5k. Oh well - good luck and go get that sub 20.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

delicate flower

Next up, Baboon in the Colchester Half?

1:39:39, which I'll gladly take. 14 minute improvement on last year's time.  Up next for me is Savin Rock.  I wish I could quantify how much faster I might on the Savin Rock course.  I ran 1:38 last year, and certainly that course is more than a minute faster than Colchester.  My PR is 1:34:29 and I'm kind of hoping to beat that at Savin Rock.

<3

Moon - looks like you destroyed sub 20. Wow, nice work.

Baboon - solid effort at Colchester. You're in a good spot to get that PR at Savin Rock (which I'm not running this year). Since you've run it a couple of times now, you know when to hold em and fold em on which hills, so that's a big plus. Get to the top of that last one, and it's pretty much a downhill / flat 5k to the finish, which is awesome.

You probably know I don't do pace advice anymore - I gave my watch away for racing over 2 years ago now. I'd say don't sweat it too much worrying about how fast/slow to take it out - you've run enough HMs now to know what you're doing. Trust your legs.

Moonstruck

Nice job tackling those hills, Baboon!  Great confidence boost going into Savin Rock, especially considering your improvement between the two races last year.

Thanks, Kevin! It was a good race for me - ended up with 19:13 chip and 6th OA woman, and I really raced the whole time, so I'm pretty excited about it.  It was my fastest time since college.  I pinched a nerve in my neck the week before so I tapered a bit more than I was planning on which helped cause my faster time, but luckily it was feeling much better by race morning.  It is pretty incredible how much speed you can get off of mostly mileage.  Next up for me is a run of longer races (goal half in two weeks, bonus half in four weeks) , but I'm excited to see if after this training cycle I can pursue some shorter distance PRs.

delicate flower

Thanks, Kevin! It was a good race for me - ended up with 19:13 chip and 6th OA woman, and I really raced the whole time, so I'm pretty excited about it.  It was my fastest time since college. 

NICE!  Well done!  Dang...6th woman?  Fast field.

<3

Hip Redux

Anyone doing the Bolton 5-miler next weekend?

Hip Redux

OK, I'm in for the Greater Hartford Quarter Marathon.  Anyone else?

Not me. I really tend to not make it up to the Hartford area for races (though I know there are a lot of good ones up there).

Hartford 1/4 used to be part of the usatf-ct grand prix series...but I guess that little extra .35 miles was too much, and they went for proper 10ks since 2012.

Speaking of 10ks...I've never done one. I can hardly believe it myself. Going to change that in April (but it'll be a NY race - Kingston Classic).

delicate flower

Sweet!  I can't due to my training schedule.  I was thinking of volunteering, but every time I sign up to volunteer for that race, my dog dies that day.

<3

Baboon: Unsolicited advice for this weekend....Trust your training, believe in yourself, and relax. It's just running. And you're good at it. Go get 'em...

(see what I did there?...no numbers, no pace stuff - just run, baby. You are there as a runner to do that now.)

delicate flower

Baboon: Unsolicited advice for this weekend....Trust your training, believe in yourself, and relax. It's just running. And you're good at it. Go get 'em...

(see what I did there?...no numbers, no pace stuff - just run, baby. You are there as a runner to do that now.)

Thanks, Kevin!  I hear ya.  I really just don't know what to expect and I hate that.  My coach is telling me to forget the pace and run by effort.  That is new to me.  Big grin

<3

yond

Hey Kevin, are you running Boston this year?

Hey Kevin, are you running Boston this year?

Nope. I am taking an extended retirement from the marathon distance. Boston last year was great, but the distance is just not something I enjoy all that much. It's not the miles so much, but the fact that I haven't ever felt (in the four I've done) that I was ever "racing" - it was more a battle against the distance/myself, which I don't find as enjoyable.

I also hate the "gambling" aspect of marathoning...putting 16 grueling weeks of training on the hopes that the weather is good that one fateful day. A few degrees one way or another and the race is shot.

Though, those 16 weeks are money for building running toughness/ability/fitness, and it pays off at the other distances, so there is that.

So, short answer - no. Long answer, maybe not ever again...maybe. But Boston is great, and if you're running, it's a pretty awesome experience, and you'll enjoy it.

yond

Thanks Kevin.  You made a very good point here.  I think once I cannot PR any more, I will switch to short distance too.  Too much commitment to the marathon training.

Yes, this coming Boston will be my first boston marathon, and I will try to enjoy it.

Nope. I am taking an extended retirement from the marathon distance. Boston last year was great, but the distance is just not something I enjoy all that much. It's not the miles so much, but the fact that I haven't ever felt (in the four I've done) that I was ever "racing" - it was more a battle against the distance/myself, which I don't find as enjoyable.

I also hate the "gambling" aspect of marathoning...putting 16 grueling weeks of training on the hopes that the weather is good that one fateful day. A few degrees one way or another and the race is shot.

Though, those 16 weeks are money for building running toughness/ability/fitness, and it pays off at the other distances, so there is that.

So, short answer - no. Long answer, maybe not ever again...maybe. But Boston is great, and if you're running, it's a pretty awesome experience, and you'll enjoy it.