Connecticut Runners

Any good 5K/10K race in late Aug/early Sep? (Read 10 times)

yond

Hi all, I want to find a good 5K or 10K race around in late August or early September.

As mentioned previously, I will have a HM on 09/14 and FM (Baystate) on 10/19.  Before that, I want to run a short race to testify my speed since I will just have finished my speed training at the end of August.  I prefer the course to be flat and fast, thanks!

Tough time of year to find a lot, right in the thick of the summer heat, and the schedule is kind of dead before the fall season kicks in. (Except for New Haven 20K).

My suggestion would be Newtown Road Race, Aug 26. Course is part of my everyday weekend run, and it's definitely flat (or as flat as you can get away from the shore).

Though New Haven does have a 5k option (I think mgerwin has run that before and can probably tell you more about it) on Labor Day. That could be a good one, I'm sure it's flat and fast.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Hip Redux

How about the Old Wethersfield 5k/10k on Aug 24?  Flat and fast.

http://www.hartfordmarathon.com/Events/Old_Wethersfield_5K___10K.htm

yond

Thanks Kevin.  Both races seem very attractive, but my only concern is that both are about one-hour driving from my home.

Tough time of year to find a lot, right in the thick of the summer heat, and the schedule is kind of dead before the fall season kicks in. (Except for New Haven 20K).

My suggestion would be Newtown Road Race, Aug 26. Course is part of my everyday weekend run, and it's definitely flat (or as flat as you can get away from the shore).

Though New Haven does have a 5k option (I think mgerwin has run that before and can probably tell you more about it) on Labor Day. That could be a good one, I'm sure it's flat and fast.

yond

Actually this is the race I think about in the beginning.  I prefer it to be one or two weeks later.  But if I cannot find a good race in that time slot, I will shoot for this one.  Thanks!

PS, are you running this one too?

How about the Old Wethersfield 5k/10k on Aug 24?  Flat and fast.

http://www.hartfordmarathon.com/Events/Old_Wethersfield_5K___10K.htm

Hip Redux

Actually this is the race I think about in the beginning.  I prefer it to be one or two weeks later.  But if I cannot find a good race in that time slot, I will shoot for this one.  Thanks!

I won't get cleared for running until August, so unlikely - but I "may" run/walk the 5k, depending on how things are going.

delicate flower

Have you done Old Wethersfield before?  It is most definitely flat and fast...the flattest race I run all year.  The 10K is two laps around the 5K course.   I'll be doing it and gunning for a PR.  Looking at your log, you should have no problem thoroughly kicking my ass (I'm hoping for 41-42 minutes).

<3

yond

Thanks for your info.  I like flat course and I will do the 10K.  This will be my second 10K and I am gunning for a PR too.  My first one was the famous Holyoke 10K (38:34) earlier this year.

Have you done Old Wethersfield before?  It is most definitely flat and fast...the flattest race I run all year.  The 10K is two laps around the 5K course.   I'll be doing it and gunning for a PR.  Looking at your log, you should have no problem thoroughly kicking my ass (I'm hoping for 41-42 minutes).

delicate flower

Thanks for your info.  I like flat course and I will do the 10K.  This will be my second 10K and I am gunning for a PR too.  My first one was the famous Holyoke 10K (38:34) earlier this year.

Nice...Old Wethersfield is much flatter and much less crowded.  At your speed, you'll have very few people around you until you start passing the tail end of the 5K runners late in the race.

<3

yond

Great!  Hope to see you there.  I may send you a message couple of days before the race. Smile

Nice...Old Wethersfield is much flatter and much less crowded.  At your speed, you'll have very few people around you until you start passing the tail end of the 5K runners late in the race.

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

A little later on - September 14th - is the Darien Road Race (10k).  There are a few others in between, but none are even close to flat.

As I recall, Darien is mostly flat - a few small rollers but no energy sucking big climbs.  Biggest height change is about 80 feet over about 1/3 mile, twice.

There's also the Fall Frolic 10K/20K/30K Sept 21st in the Lordship section of Stratford.  That may be a bit late in the month, but it is pancake flat and very fast.

There also used to be a 10K for Sickle Cell Disease in New Haven the week after the Labor Day race, but I can't find registration info on it at the moment.  You might want to look for that one too.