Denver Area Runners

hello to all (Read 149 times)

runninmom

I have just joined this group as I am looking for some motivation to get me through winter. I live in SE Aurora - any chance any of you live in the area or are training for anything? My husband thought it would be fun to do the Ft. Collins marathon in May together. However, since we just moved here not even 2 years ago, I am not all that accustomed to training in winter and he is faster than me so we can't really train together. I am finding this whole experience very difficult. i did the Denver marathon last October so I know I can do it.....just don't know what's going on with me..... anyway, sorry for whinning... have a good day everone! kristin
    seemomgo

Welcome Kristin! These winter months are tough for training! You aren't alone in your whining and difficulties! You sound like you run a lot - seeing that you ran the Denver marathon last year - in that awful weather!! I am still warming up from that run! I am out in Littleton - so I am no help to you on suggestions where to run in Aurora. I am sure there are some good bike paths out there. We all go through the ups and downs of training and motivation....now that the weather is starting to get better - you'll probably get more ethusiastic about getting out! I end up on my treadmill more than I care to admit. Any other runs coming up sooner that will help to motivate you? Platte River half is on April 6.....
      sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

I ran laps on Green Mountain yesterday and its pretty much mud free. If you want to go west I think there are a few options. I am a trail runner but there are tons of bike paths in Denver. I am sure all of them are free of snow by now. SG
        If you're bored ask why you're boring

Rim Rock Dad

Welcome, Kristen! I'm glad you joined up with us. Naturally, we'll be expecting doughnuts from you at the next meeting. (Just kidding) Wink If you're anywhere near Cherry Creek Res., I believe dacook can point you in the right direction. There's always the Highline Canal, but I think the closest that gets in your area is around Havana and Alameda. If you're willing to drive a little, the best place to hit that trail is probably at the Goodson Rec Center off of University and Arapahoe. Try these links: http://www.denverwater.org/recreation/hilcnlmap.html http://www.ssprd.org/southsubnew/map.asp?tl=5&m=2 Sorry I'm not much help, I'm a west side boy, myself. Big grin You've probaby noticed by now, but the weather will at least give you a chance to run in the outdoors here. It could be worse. You could be in southern Colorado right now, contending with the feet of snow thats been on the ground for month now. We look forward to meeting you whenever one of us can run with you!
          James "We're only at home when we're on the run." -Neil Peart

Top 'O the World!

Welcome Kristin! I'm in the Lone Tree section of Littleton! Wink I'm finding lots of trails out here..... how far SE Aurora?? Try this trail resource: http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail.asp?trailid=HGR229-004 Ditto on the Winter running...taking some experimentation to get the clothing/ layering/foot-gear stuff right....& then there are just those days Roll eyes.....& I don't have a treadmill (trying not to get one) & I don't have a club membership (also trying not to get one..) but I did get a large dog who needs frequent excercise..... Tongue she reminds me that if I can figure out the right clothing for snowboarding..... I've been poking around the internet for some running clubs in the area, although, not much I can do w/my schedule just now...mayhaps come Summer.... here's one option: http://www.rmrr.org/ I'm thinking (hoping) to do the Colorado (HM) in May...& whatever I can train up for in Oct! Here's an event calendar for you: http://www.coloradorunnermag.com/calendar/smu.html
            Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
            runninmom

I do run in cherry creek resevoir as there is an entrance not far from my house. And I did a long run on Highline yesterday (sunday) but that was miserable since the dirt was frozen and almost worse than running on the sidewalk. I came away from yesterday with severly sore shins and a sore ankle - this never happened last summer when I trained on highline so I'm chalking it up to the ruts in the very hard ground. My issues are more motivation related. I did the Denver full last october - this was my first marathon. And when we decided to go for another one, I said I wanted to better my time by 24mins to at least be right under the 4hr mark. At least 3 people have told me that I'm crazy and that it will take me more than just one more marathon to better my time by that much so that got me really discouraged - it's never fun for someone to tell you can't do something. And I really don't think I will want to train for another one....at least not until my kids are much older and I have more time and patience on my hands (did I also mention I am a full-time on-line degree student). So my dilemna is really do I just switch to the half and not worry about bettering my time or continue on for the full and hope that I do better and try not to be dissappointed if I don't. Thanks everyone for your replys! and the training links! I really am thankful we (in the metro area) aren't having the same winter we had last year! Kristin

Rim Rock Dad

Kristen, if you can shave 24 minutes off your 26.2 time, God bless you. If you can't, God bless you. Here's my point: The important thing is that you do your best. You learn from what works, and what doesn't work. When I ran my first, I made some huge mistakes. I blew off my last 2 long runs, I didn't pay enough attention to hydration/nutririon for during the run, and I was way too ambitious for my training level (I did the classic start too fast thing Roll eyes ). Its a humbling experience when you tell the guys at the packet pickup that you ran a 2:15 HM, and want to run a 4:30 M. They told me to not expect more than 4:45. I learned the hard way, that because of my mistakes, I ran a 5:11. Tongue That being said, I learned alot about myself. That is more important to me that what everyone else said. Go for what you can get, Kristen. They can never downplay what you get out of it.
                James "We're only at home when we're on the run." -Neil Peart
                  Hi Kristin, welcome to the group! A couple of things. I have found huge motivation from others telling me I can't do something. I ran my first marathon on a bar bet! Non- running smoker to 3:43 marathon in 10 months. That was crazy. A year later, I ran a 3:22. 21 minute PR. Hard work, lots of miles. Right now, I'm training for an April 5th marathon where I hope to run about 3:15. Harder work, lots of miles, speed work, more miles. I guess my point is this, I think you CAN shave 24 minutes off your marathon time, but, unless you have a huge mileage base right now, I don't think a May marathon is realistic. I would look towards Denver in October or some other fall marathon to try to break 4:00. But, please, please, don't get discouraged. And if you decide to prove me wrong, well, that's OK too! Then again, that marathon is decidedly downhill....... Big grin Keep us posted, hope motivation falls your way! Dave
                  Dave
                  "Run like hell and get the agony over with."
                  --- Clarence DeMar
                  Wicked Pickle

Mama Pickle

Kristen - Little slow on the Welcome....but none the less....Welcome!! Having never run a marathon...I really don't have any advice to give you. But I will say this....go for the gusto sista' and even if you don't shave off 24 minutes, guess what.....you're running a freaking marathon which 90% of people will never do! So there! And if you don't shave off 24 minutes this go around, I have no doubt you will shave some time which is an improvement. Don't be discouraged by what other people say. I admire the fact that you have even run one and are now considering doing it again!
                    "The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." - John Bingham