Denver Area Runners

Races and goals for 2008 (Read 166 times)

Rim Rock Dad

I was thinking the other day (I know, that's dangerous), and it seems like this is going to be a good year to reach some goals, and run some races never run before. Here's some of mine: Get back up to at least 500 miles for the year. Join a running club. (This one gets repeated every year.) Cherry Creek Sneak. Always a fun one, but skipped it last year. Bolder Boulder. No matter how many are there, it always a good time. Mt. Evans Ascent. This would be the first time for me. Always wanted to do it. Duathlon. I'm thinking Mile High Series the Racing Underground guys put on. Another half marathon. Anything but Colfax. Denver Marathon. Gotta go for the second one. Rim Rock Run out in Grand Junction. 22 miles, 1700 ft in elevation. 'Nuff said. What have you got on your to do list?
    James "We're only at home when we're on the run." -Neil Peart

Top 'O the World!

Well, I was just reading RW & thinkin' about what I should shoot for for 2008 goals ....I didn't even have a goal of running this time last year!! Still "finding myself" in this sport....absolutely had a blast w/the 2 5K's that I did Sept/Oct....have a running friend who has invited me to do the Bolder Boulder w/her(Yay!) & I just loved the whole Denver Marathon experience & at least want to shoot for the HM! I've heard that Cherry Creek is fun...there's a quirky thing out @ Bear Creek Lake Park ~ the Bearable, I think....you'd have to look @ the site as I'm not sure exactly how to describe this "modified tri!" Grand Junction.....hmmm, I didn't know that anything was that low of an elevation anywhere in this state! What's the deal w/Colfax???
      Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
      sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

Here are my goals for 2008 January - Frosty's Frozen Five 10M February- Snowman Stampede 20M May - Collegiate Peaks 25 June - Big Horn 50 July - Leadville Marathon August - Pace 50 of Leadville Oct - Dec - Some 100 Depending on how my 50's feel and how I recover.
        If you're bored ask why you're boring

Top 'O the World!

Hooleee Carp Krista!!! Shocked thas some mileage girl! I am hugely impressed!!
          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Rim Rock Dad

I've seen the Bearable posted in the window at the Runner's Roost in Lakewood. I think you're right, it does look quirky. I misspoke about Rim Rock Run. The elevation change is about 1700'. Its at the Colorado National Monument, and follows the only road that goes through it. http://www.rimrockrun.org/race_course.html As far as Colorado Colfax Marathon goes, they changed the course for the 3rd time in 3 years. And last year, they messed it up, and everyone ran further than they were supposed to. Can you imagine that? I need them to nail the course down before I run it again. Sour grapes. Tongue

Rim Rock Dad

I forgot. I also signed up for the Winter Distance Series. I'm looking forward to the 5 miler now. I just have to start getting ready for the 10 miler next month. Smile
              sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

I did my first 50 last year and even though it hurt a lot it was an amazing experience. I have wanted to run Leadville for years. I paced it last year and hope to pace 1/2 of it this year. That should get me ready to run it the following year. I love to run trails in the mountians. The longer the better. I am really looking foreward to when the snow melts exploring new routes.

Top 'O the World!

Krista: here's something that I found in the Readers group from jlynnbob that I thought you might like: If you are serious about ultrarunning, a good reference book is Fixing Your Feet found here --> http://www.fixingyourfeet.com/aboutfyf.html. THE ultimate ultra magazine is called ultraRUNNING (link http://www.ultrarunning.com/ultra/issues/may-2006.shtml - yours truly took the picture on the cover of the 25th anniversary edition!). It includes lots of "how to" regarding hydration and nutrition, as well as many, many race reports on various races across the country. Some good running books are... Running Through the Wall: Personal Encounters With the Ultramarathon, To the Edge: A Man, Death Valley, and the Mystery of Endurance (my personal favorite about a non-ultra runner tackling Badwater - http://www.amazon.com/Edge-Death-Valley-Mystery-Endurance/dp/044667902X/ref=sr_1_112/105-0622151-3229245?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1184862050&sr=1-112), And Then the Vulture Eats You, Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All Night Runner (http://www.amazon.com/Edge-Death-Valley-Mystery-Endurance/dp/044667902X/ref=sr_1_112/105-0622151-3229245?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1184862050&sr=1-112) and The Ultimate Guide to Trail Running.

Rim Rock Dad

Geez, Krista. I'll be estatic when I can run another marathon. YOU RAWK! Cool

Top 'O the World!

Krista: I just found this in my new (Feb) issue of RW ~ pg 103: http://transrockies.com/ looks like fun! Wink
                      sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

Yeah a friend told me about that race last year. I would love to do it but its a little hard to find people that want to do a marathon a day in the Mts. I would want to do it with a partner. It also follows pretty close to Leadville. I don't think I could pace 50 and do that race 2 weeks later. If I am fit enough to do that I should just try to run Leadville. There is another race that goes from Grand Junction to Moab that I would love to do. So many races so few slow twitch muscle fibers.