Denver Area Runners

Motivation (Read 157 times)

seemomgo

So, with all of these freezing temps we have been having - how are you staying motivated and fit? Usally I keep signing up for races. Even that is not exciting me right now! Another cold day of the treadmill sucks.
      I just grin and bear it. I'll take the cold over the treadmill any day. Plus, I think about how much snow was on the ground this time last year and everything seems pretty simple! Also, I keep thinking about how great it will feel to BQ and the cold runs all seem worth it! Dave
      Dave
      "Run like hell and get the agony over with."
      --- Clarence DeMar

Rim Rock Dad

I like to think that the weather didn't kick my butt. I'm not happy with myself if I let the weather be an excuse not to run. Plus, I like the look on everyone's faces when they're bundled up like the kid in "A Christmas Story", and I'm running by in a pair of shorts. Big grin
        James "We're only at home when we're on the run." -Neil Peart
        Wicked Pickle

Mama Pickle

I hate to say this.....but I am starting to like the cold weather to run in. I went for a run yesterday that was one of the best I have ever had. It was cold and overcast, sure, but once I got going it was great! And since I am so new to running....I like to try and imaging that people think I am "hard core" because I am out there in the cold. Silly I know, but what ever keeps you going!
          "The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." - John Bingham

Top 'O the World!

Okay, I confess that it's been a bit of a challenge to me....This is my 1st winter running. Still experimenting w/layers, effort, footwear, trails, scheduling (my 8 yr old GD lives w/me & I have no back up 12+ hrs/day...mostly I run while she's in school - & btwn clients!) & now my other son & his family are camping here for the last few days before baby is due...wife is having chronic braxton hicks & has no other access to a driver & babysitter for their 2 yr old but me - so I gotta stay kinda close (circles around the neighborhood) & then I'm personally having temparature "issues" - part of which I believe are hormonal changes though (sorry guys!) but whilst several of my girlfriends talk of "hot flashes," I'm having more of a "deep freeze" these days...ie: I get cold & can't warm up! Sometimes running makes it worse Sad ...even drained the water heater standing in the shower! I think I've talked myself out of almost as many runs as I've talked myself into ~ especially with -0 wind chills! I'm not wanting to get a treadmill just now....not sure about the expense of a club.....but I need to do something!! .....then there's my poor dog! Looking at me with those eyes....wonderin' when I'm gonna get off my lazy butt & take her for a run! At least I have her to push me out the door at least a little bit!
            Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
            wildchild

Carolyn

I run at lunchtime, when its warmer. No way I could run early in single digit temps in the dark! I recently started a spreadsheet taken from my running log that lists the temperature, weather conditions, and what layers I was wearing. I sorted by temperature, so I can check the weather and look at my list to see how to dress. Mama Pickle, I know what you mean about hard core. The folks at work think I'm crazy to run in this weather. When it's warm quite a few of my co-workers walk at lunch, but this time of year I have the shower room to myself. Mtnchk, I know what you mean about the dogs being good motivation. My dogs are very neglected since I run at lunchtime at work, and I only take them out on weekends. And some weekends its too cold and I run at the rec center, and then they really give me that look... It's great that you can be there for your grandkids. Hope all goes well with the new baby! I can't personally imagine having grandkids yet - I'm older than you, but my daughter is only 14.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

I think I tend to get my motivation from setting a goal and working towards it. I have a little 'mini' gym here at home so its really easy for me to just jump on the treadmill after work. I bought it last year and its been money very well spent. I find a lot of time I end up using it just to save time and get my run it. I do admit I miss running outside. If I have a little extra time I Sometimes I find myself running in the cold and snow just to get out. Never fear spring is just around the corner.
                If you're bored ask why you're boring
                Wicked Pickle

Mama Pickle

Alright gang.....here is a new motivation challenge.....let's talk injury. As you may have read, I rolled my ankle last Sunday just before Frosty's Frozen Five and managed to sprain it. Now I am very blessed in that it doesn't appear that I tore or broke anything. But you want to talk some frustration!! When I am driving down the road and see someone running I get so bummed. I signed up for the winter distance series so have a 10 miler at the end of February that I am now worried about being able to run. It's not like I am some kind of ultra athletic to begin with.....so this certainly doesn't help. I got the okay from the doc to bike, so I biked about 50 miles this week. I even managed to get on the elliptical today for a few miles. But the 10 miler at the end of February still seems a little daunting. Any suggestions?
                  "The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." - John Bingham