Denver Area Runners

Georgetown to Idaho Springs Half Marathon (Read 253 times)

I'm in.  Anyone else running this on Saturday??
    Dave
    "Run like hell and get the agony over with."
    --- Clarence DeMar
    wildchild

Carolyn

I'd like to, but have a family reunion, along with a cousin's baby shower, and they probably wouldn't take kindly to me sneaking off for a race.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Top 'O the World!

Hmmmm, not already signed up, but may be "doable"...I'm still not at all fast!

...& my Family Rebellion is on Sunday!

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Right on Hereford...

I'm in, Dave. I'll look for you at the start...

What can you tell us about the course?

Top 'O the World!

it's a slight downhill running somewhat along the river/I-70 from beside the lake @ Georgetown to the school athletic field in I.S....
            Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

I'm in, Dave. I'll look for you at the start...

What can you tell us about the course?

The first two miles are in town, flat and a little uphill.  Take them easy.  Mile two you pass the start again and then start dropping down the hill.  It's not all downhill, as there is some pretty nasty little uphill sections, but you can definitely use the down to your advantage.  It flattens out at mile 12 and there is a completely uncalled for up going into Idaho Springs as you go under the Interstate.  That one hurts.  Be ready for it.  After climbing up the road in town there is a short downhill and a right hand turn to the finish.  It's a very short block or two to the finish... you should be in full kick before you make the turn.  It's a pretty fast course but don't be suprised by the rolling hills.

I'll keep an eye out for you at the start.  Not sure what I'll be wearing yet.  I'll most likely be with a group of guys from the Rocky Mountain Road Runners...

Dave
              --- Clarence DeMar

Right on Hereford...

The first two miles are in town, flat and a little uphill.  Take them easy.  Mile two you pass the start again and then start dropping down the hill.  It's not all downhill, as there is some pretty nasty little uphill sections, but you can definitely use the down to your advantage.  It flattens out at mile 12 and there is a completely uncalled for up going into Idaho Springs as you go under the Interstate.  That one hurts.  Be ready for it.  After climbing up the road in town there is a short downhill and a right hand turn to the finish.  It's a very short block or two to the finish... you should be in full kick before you make the turn.  It's a pretty fast course but don't be suprised by the rolling hills.

I'll keep an eye out for you at the start.  Not sure what I'll be wearing yet.  I'll most likely be with a group of guys from the Rocky Mountain Road Runners...

Cool, thanks for the beta. How does it compare to something like the Platte River Half in terms of finishing times? Faster? Slower? By how much?

I haven't run Platte so I can't say first hand, but others have said Georgetown is easily a couple of minutes faster.  Don't be surprised if your mile splits start to look more like they do in a 10k than a half,,, in fact, I think my 2 fastest 10k times last year came in this race.  If you get much faster than that, it might be too fast.  Then again, a couple of the downhill sections can easily put you under 6:00 pace for a while.  I ran 1:21 last year, I'd say you could easily be right there.

BTW, wearing ugly white and blue Rocky Mountain Road Runners singlet and blue shorts.  Bib #898.  Long sleeve yellow Boston Marathon shirt for warm up.  Looking forward to seeing you again... have some questions about running in Boulder for you...

Dave
                  --- Clarence DeMar

Right on Hereford...

I haven't run Platte so I can't say first hand, but others have said Georgetown is easily a couple of minutes faster.  Don't be surprised if your mile splits start to look more like they do in a 10k than a half,,, in fact, I think my 2 fastest 10k times last year came in this race.  If you get much faster than that, it might be too fast.  Then again, a couple of the downhill sections can easily put you under 6:00 pace for a while.  I ran 1:21 last year, I'd say you could easily be right there.

BTW, wearing ugly white and blue Rocky Mountain Road Runners singlet and blue shorts.  Bib #898.  Long sleeve yellow Boston Marathon shirt for warm up.  Looking forward to seeing you again... have some questions about running in Boulder for you...

Whoa, that was not a fast course for me. I wish I could run that kind of course as fast as you, Dave! You rocked it today.

I had an ok race, that's about it. 1:24:20, which is close to my PR, but no cigar.

Did anyone else think this was one of the worst-organized races they've ever done? I think I'm going to email the race director with some suggestions for improvements.

Whoa, that was not a fast course for me. I wish I could run that kind of course as fast as you, Dave! You rocked it today.

I had an ok race, that's about it. 1:24:20, which is close to my PR, but no cigar.

Did anyone else think this was one of the worst-organized races they've ever done? I think I'm going to email the race director with some suggestions for improvements.

I was only 9 secs off of last years time so I was pretty pleased.  The extra two miles of dirt and gravel due to the road construction slowed me down some for sure.  I'm sure we must have walked right past each other at the finish.  I was there when a friend finished mid 1:24!

As far as the organization, I did hear some stories of lost entries and such.  A friend of mine registered online, went to pick up his bib, they had him on the list but it said he still hadn't paid... and they made him prove he had paid!  Of course, he couldn't standing there in the store, so it took a couple days to straighten out.  That shouldn't be happening in a race that has been around this long.  I know they had a lot more people than ever before, but still...

MTA:  I just saw in the Swamp that you took home a pan!  Nice...even if it was a bit of a mistake on their part. (I forgot to mention above the new timing company this year).  I also took home a third place pan...how I didn't see you I don't know!!!

Dave
                      --- Clarence DeMar