Denver Area Runners

Anyone still here? (Read 197 times)

AutBatgirl

Anyone still around? I just started posting here (refugee from RWOL) and I saw the group. I moved to Longmont in October and it would be nice to get to know some of the locals. It doesn't look like this is a very active forum, though.

No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.

Penguin Forever

Hi batgirl, I also migrated from RWOL... live in Westminster. I just started running in July so I tend to be more of a lurker...
      AutBatgirl

I saw you on some other thread and started to ask if you were stalking me (I'm also a "Kris in CO").

Also in CO.  I'm in Arvada - so probably not too far from you Kris.  I have been on RWOL for several years but mostly a lurker.   I am just coming back from an injury so trying to ramp my mileage back up.   

You can call me Anna

philipfromga

I'm new to CO just moved to Aurora from Atlanta.  Good to see a bit on traffic on here.  Hopefully more will join in.

wildchild

Carolyn

Hi to the RW refugees!  I first joined RA as a CoolRunning refugee several years ago, and I mostly post over in the Masters Forum.  I live near Black Hawk and work in Englewood (yeah, long commute...)   I mostly run trails.

I've signed up for the Winter Distance Series in Littleton again this year - I ran the 3 races last winter and enjoyed them.  If anyone else is interested in signing up, we could meet up at the races.    Santa Stampede 5k/10k- Dec 15th,  Frosty's Frozen 5M/10M January 19th, and Snowman Stampede 5M/10M - Feb 16th.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

sacgirl3.0

king of the divan

Hi everyone! I'm a northern california native (and RWOL refugee) moving to Denver in 8 months. Eek! Figured I'd scope out the Denver running scene out there early. Hi Batgirl!

Sacgirl,

Don't know your running preferences but you may want to check out a club called the Rocky Mountain Road Runners.  They host a monthly race, that ranges from 2 miles to 10 miles.  Any races 5 miles or longer have a 5k option, as well.    It is hosted in a different location every month, so some times it is North of the city and some times South.

Couple of great running stores in the Denver Metro area as well - Runners Roost and Boulder Running Company.   Denver has a huge running community - the folks at either one of those stores can point you to a ton of resources.   And you can find several races almost every weekend all over the metro area.     

If you are going to be close to Denver proper, some of the popular running spots are Washington Park (aka Wash Park), the Cherry Creek Trail and the Platte River Trail.  

But the entire metro area is pretty runner friendly with many multi-use paths, and greenbelts to run on.  

If you are into trail running, I believe there is a pretty big trail running community, as well - and many, many mountain trails to run on. 

Lastly, if you are coming from sea level you may need a few days/weeks to adjust to running at altitude.  

It is a beautiful place, hope you fall in love with it like I did when I moved here in 1999.

You can call me Anna

Hi to the RW refugees!  I first joined RA as a CoolRunning refugee several years ago, and I mostly post over in the Masters Forum.  I live near Black Hawk and work in Englewood (yeah, long commute...)   I mostly run trails.

I've signed up for the Winter Distance Series in Littleton again this year - I ran the 3 races last winter and enjoyed them.  If anyone else is interested in signing up, we could meet up at the races.    Santa Stampede 5k/10k- Dec 15th,  Frosty's Frozen 5M/10M January 19th, and Snowman Stampede 5M/10M - Feb 16th.

Wild Child, I may be ready to race in February but probably not before then - darn leg.  I wanted to do these races this year - darn leg!

You can call me Anna

AutBatgirl

I think I'm still acclimating, so I'm planning on waiting until spring to race. I saw a 24k in Colorado Springs on April 6 that looked good. I've never done much racing, but hoping to get more into it starting this year.

And hi Sacgirl! Good to see people I "know" in the area!

sacgirl3.0

king of the divan

Sacgirl,

Don't know your running preferences but you may want to check out a club called the Rocky Mountain Road Runners.  They host a monthly race, that ranges from 2 miles to 10 miles.  Any races 5 miles or longer have a 5k option, as well.    It is hosted in a different location every month, so some times it is North of the city and some times South.

Couple of great running stores in the Denver Metro area as well - Runners Roost and Boulder Running Company.   Denver has a huge running community - the folks at either one of those stores can point you to a ton of resources.   And you can find several races almost every weekend all over the metro area.     

If you are going to be close to Denver proper, some of the popular running spots are Washington Park (aka Wash Park), the Cherry Creek Trail and the Platte River Trail.  

But the entire metro area is pretty runner friendly with many multi-use paths, and greenbelts to run on.  

If you are into trail running, I believe there is a pretty big trail running community, as well - and many, many mountain trails to run on. 

Lastly, if you are coming from sea level you may need a few days/weeks to adjust to running at altitude.  

It is a beautiful place, hope you fall in love with it like I did when I moved here in 1999.

Awesome! I'm in the coastal foothills so I do most of my running on hilly trails, but I race mostly on roads since I haven't gotten into ultras. I think we'll be in Denver proper- I would love the option of not having to drive to a decent place to run everyday and it looks as if the city park system has a good number of multi-use paths. This makes me happy. I'm excited about living someplace else, but super nervous about cold weather and snow, hence the eek. Thanks for the tips! Smile

It's a well kept secret that Denver does not really get that much snow (CO does at the higher altitudes - think ski areas).  But here in the city at 5280', it can snow on Monday and it will most likely be melted by the end of the week with 60/70 degree days.   On of our claims to fame (claim to fames Confused) is 300 days of sunshine per year.  

I grew up in Northern CA, a cold San Francisco day can be worse than a cold CO day even if it is 10 15 degrees colder in CO.  It is dry year round, and the dry cold doesn't  cut through to the bone like a damp cold.  

I bet you acclimate quickly.  

You can call me Anna

Penguin Forever

Hey rkymtnanna, I joined RMRR and ran this past weekend... saw that you did too! Cold but lovely day.

Oh, good.  They are good group.  How did you do?  Did you do the 10k or the 5k?

This was my first run with them since last April - I went out with an injury in June and have been struggling to come back.  My performance SUCKED.  But I can only go up from here.  I will most likely run the Feb one - barring, illness, injury, or horrible weather.  Let me know if you plan to run it, and maybe we can meet up.  

You can call me Anna

Penguin Forever

I ran the 10K (first ever 10K race!) and was very happy with how I did. I'm slow, I've only been running since July, but I had a blast. I'm pretty sure I'll be going to Feb race; I enjoyed the atmosphere and the people!