Drinkers with a Running Problem

What Craft Beer Style is the most widely enjoyed? (Read 22 times)

Ultra Cowboy

By this I mean if you were going to have one craft beer that you wanted all your friends, and relatives (even non beer-snobs) to like, what would you make?

WYBMADIITY

Save

Prince of Fatness

From my vantage point IPA's and stouts seem to get the most chatter among craft beer aficionados.  I know a couple of guys that mostly drink the domestic stuff and they do not like either of those styles.  If I were tasked with making a beer to cater to a larger audience I would pick pale ale.  You can hop it up enough to make it interesting for the craft beer crowd yet palatable to the swill drinkers.

Not at it at all. 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/index.cfm/beers/ourbeers/beer/spotted-cow

I've never met anyone who doesn't like it.  From my mother to beer snobs.

Running is dumb.

Am I doing this right?

Not easy coming up with a beer for both beer snobs and "coors light" drinkers.  MrFinn had a good suggestion with a pale ale.  I've done a Dry Dock Breakwater Pale ale clone that a lot of people seem to like.  Not too hoppy, good crisp flavor.  A cream ale or a wheat beer would also appeal to quite a few, but you will start to lose the snobs like me.  Wink

My go to right now is a Sierra Nevada Pale clone that is real quick and easy.  2.5 weeks from brewing to glass and it tastes good.  A little young, but good.

In the end the "bud light" drinkers might tolerate it, but they aren't really looking for anything with good flavor.  They just want cold cans that you can't taste what's coming out.

No excuses....

Prince of Fatness

Not easy coming up with a beer for both beer snobs and "coors light" drinkers.  MrFinn had a good suggestion with a pale ale.  I've done a Dry Dock Breakwater Pale ale clone that a lot of people seem to like.  Not too hoppy, good crisp flavor.  A cream ale or a wheat beer would also appeal to quite a few, but you will start to lose the snobs like me.  Wink

Right.  I thought about cream ale and yeah it may be a little boring for the snobs.  I make a cream ale with potatoes from my garden every year that the swill drinkers just love (it's good).

Thought about wheat beers and such but there are some people that I know that don't want anything to do with them.  Maybe if you used a neutral yeast.  Also thought about saison but a belgian yeast may be trick the swill drinkers into thinking that you fruited the beer, so that would be out.

So yeah you can make a pale ale that almost anyone would drink.  You could even go British pale.  Those tend to be less hoppy than the American pales.  I love me a good bitter.

Not at it at all. 

Am I doing this right?

I love me a good bitter.

+1

Another I thought of was a good brown ale.  Usually not very hoppy, but can be pretty refreshing.  If you can get them past the "dark" color they may enjoy it.  And it might lead them to other more flavorful "dark" beers.

Dark is in quotes as I usually hate using that word when talking about beer with a mainstream lite beer drinker.  They always talk about the one time they tried Guiness (which of course is fantastic) and they now hate dark beer.

No excuses....

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

I just don't "get" the IPA appeal.  I like most all other styles but the hoppiness (pine tar taste) of IPAs just turn me off.

You people have issues 

Prince of Fatness

I just don't "get" the IPA appeal.  I like most all other styles but the hoppiness (pine tar taste) of IPAs just turn me off.

I have always said that hops are an acquired taste.  Once acquired you will crave a nice IPA.  At least that's the way it worked with me.

Not at it at all. 

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I'm not a hophead, but I can appreciate a good IPA. I'm not real crazy about the big in your face hop type beers though.

I don't think Amber Ales have been mentioned yet. They can vary from malty to hoppy. Ambers and Browns are probably my favorite session beers.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Prince of Fatness

I don't think Amber Ales have been mentioned yet. They can vary from malty to hoppy. Ambers and Browns are probably my favorite session beers.

Speaking of which have you had the Troegs Nugget Nectar that I sent out to you?  You really should drink it soon if you haven't.

Not at it at all. 

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Speaking of which have you had the Troegs Nugget Nectar that I sent out to you?  You really should drink it soon if you haven't.

I think somebody claimed to have "accidentally" drank both of those. Blamed it on his wife. Wink

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Prince of Fatness

I think somebody claimed to have "accidentally" drank both of those. Blamed it on his wife. Wink

Maybe next time I should "accidentally" put your name and address on the box.  Hopefully not all of the rest of them accidentally disappeared.

Not at it at all. 

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Maybe next time I should "accidentally" put your name and address on the box.  Hopefully not all of the rest of them accidentally disappeared.

He has shared everything else nicely. I'm sure it was an honest mistake. Heh.

gusgordon

Damn fine beer.

Feeling the growl again

WhoDat's beer was immediately set aside when it arrived.  My wife did not understand my beer stash's organization and grabbed that one for me by mistake one night.  Honest mistake.  I replaced it with something I thought was really, really good.

Yes, I think that was an easy drinker most people could appreciate.  Most decent ambers are.  I really enjoy browns but people used to lighter, commercial swill would probably have a bit of an issue appreciating those as much.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills