Drinkers with a Running Problem

Strong beers, barley wines, heavies, and the like (Read 470 times)

Anybody else a fan of strong beers? I figured I'd start a thread about them so we can share our favorites and hopefully get the 411 on some we might not have tried. What constitutes a strong beer? Generally, anything 6.5% ABV and up! Bock: >=6.5 % ABV; Strong/old ales: 6.5 - 8.5% ABV; Imperial stouts: >= 7.5%; Barleywine: >= 8.5 % Me? I regularly rotate the following into my cellar, listed in no particular order, except that Brooklyn is my current favorite: Black Chocolate Stout, Brooklyn Brewery (Imperial Stout) 10.60% ABV Skullsplitter, Orkney Brewery (Wee Heavy) 8.50% ABV Bigfoot Ale, Sierra Nevada (Barleywine) 9.6% ABV Grande Reserve Blue, Chimay (Strong Ale) 9.00% Piraat, Van Steenberge Brouwerij (Strong Ale/IPA?) 10.50% I'd like to hear recommendations about other strong beers!

All business

This thread listed a bunch of good ones. I'm still up on the Dogfish head as it's readily available around here (though i still haven't tried the 120 minute!). When I lived in CA, Arrogant Bastard was good. Lots of flavor, i think their motto was something like: "you probably won't like it". Stone had a couple other good ones too, though not the 10% you're talking about. Also in Cali, Rock Bottom had a good one that was 10 or 12% (called maryjane something?). Otherwise, the Belgian Tripel Karmeliet is fantastic or a Rochefort 10. Ummm Belgians....

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

The voice of mile 18

Used to love some european beer (possibly belgian) called elephants. they were awesome. might have to find one tonight.

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

All business

That reminds me of this delicious little guy Delirium Tremens

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Me? I regularly rotate the following into my cellar, listed in no particular order, except that Brooklyn is my current favorite: Black Chocolate Stout, Brooklyn Brewery (Imperial Stout) 10.60% ABV Skullsplitter, Orkney Brewery (Wee Heavy) 8.50% ABV
            I will definitely take your advice, as I have had both of those beers and LOVE them!!! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Flying Dog makes a good porter (Road Dog Porter) that I discovered this winter. Found it in a mixed case, going this weekend to get a full case of it. Good "cold night in February with a nice thick steak" beer.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

This thread listed a bunch of good ones.
                OOPS! I don't know how I managed to miss that thread. Undecided I apologize! That Dogfish Head 120 Minute discussed on that thread sounds intriguing. And I thought that Samichlaus was a serious bruiser at it's lowly 14%! jdmcgregor: I'll keep my eyes open for those Belgians you mentioned. I've had Delerium Tremens, but had no clue that there was a whole family of Delirium beers! I probably shouldn't have started this thread. I'm in a training lull - between work deadlines, teething babies, and two of my target Spring races getting sh!t-canned, my training has taken a massive hit the past couple weeks and I've been making up for it with beer training. JVol44: I didn't know Flying Dog made a stout. That sounds worthy of a hunt.
                I will definitely take your advice, as I have had both of those beers and LOVE them!!! Big grin
                zoom-zoom: If you loved Brooklyn and the Skullsplitter, you will enjoy the Bigfoot and the Chimay. I'll warn you and everybody about the Piraat though: when you first sniff and sip it, your first thoughts will be something like "the cat missed the litter box again" or "this smells like a pirate who's pissed himself," but let it breathe for a while and it's pretty seductive. OK back to my Brooklyn and watching The Exorcist.

Queen of 3rd Place

Our local brewpub, Sequoia, makes a nice barleywine, but IMO their crowning achievement is their Imperial Stout (10%) which is the smoothest Imperial I've had. See now - y'all have a good reason to come to Fresno and run our marathon (NEW next year!). Plus, you must try the deep-fried pickles. Seriously. My first introduction to strong beer was St. Sixtus, I traveling by bicycle in Belgium, a little tired, and this stuff really took me by surprise! I guess you now have to buy St. Sixtus ales in person and with a reservation Sad http://www.sintsixtus.be/eng/index2.html Arla

Ex runner

On that NYT article, it was like a checklist: Had it, had it, had it, for the most part. Hoppy beers are definitely the IT style now. Yesterday, I tried a Bell's Cherry Stout (8.5%) at a bar with lunch. Was OK, definitely didn't love it and was so glad I didn't buy a case the other week whille perusing my beer store (here in PA, we have distributors which sell by the case; you could buy six packs in a bar, but it makes it foolishly expensive, ie, like, between two and three sixers, you are financially better off getting a case. And who doesn't want to save $$$) Generally, I like Bell's products.

...---...

http://www.bjsbrewhouse.com/ Haven't been a big fan of the strong beers to date mainly because they've tasted like rubbing alcohol was added. However, BJ's does a nice job with their high grav and strong brews. Besides, if I have a strong one...I'm just about done and I like hanging out for at least 2...depending on who's driving.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

...---...

(here in PA, we have distributors which sell by the case; you could buy six packs in a bar, but it makes it foolishly expensive, ie, like, between two and three sixers
                        Yeah, what's the deal with that? Was visiting a buddy in Philly not long ago and on the way in, thought I would stop in a grocery store and pick up a couple of 6's. Man, I looked and looked and looked and... So I finally found a distributor...only cash? and people say South Carolina is a strange state in how things are done Wink

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Say what? In PA, you can't buy 6 packs at a grocery?

...---...

Say what? In PA, you can't buy 6 packs at a grocery?
                            Someone living in PA could know something I don't but I couldn't find a 6'er anywhere. No gas station, no convenience store...nada.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

yep, NO beer in grocery stores or gas station/convienence stores. now, some food places that aren't quite bars sell sixers to go, ie pizza/sub shops. as do bars. as for the cash-only distributor ... can't explain that.