Drinkers with a Running Problem

Home Brewers... (Read 1606 times)

Prince of Fatness

Fermenting is a 2-Row / Sorachi Ace SMaSH.  Can't wait to taste those hops.

Just got done bottling this.  Tasty.  Those Sorachi Ace hops had a lemony taste as advertised.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Mashing a small batch right now.

Belgian Tripel

11 quarts

6 lbs Pilsner

1 lb US 2 Row (did not have enough pilsner)

.5 lbs Lyle's Golden Syrup (add late in the boil)

German Hallertau hop pellets 4.1%AA

.75 oz 60 minutes

.25 oz 30 minutes

Wyeast Belgian Abbey Yeast (1214)

Mash 150 degrees for 70 minutes.

Boil 80 minutes.

Chill and pitch yeast.  Since this is a higher gravity beer I pitched a starter.  I crash cooled it and will decant off most of the liquid before pitching.

Ferment 3 weeks or so then rack one gallon onto some oak cubes soaked in bourbon.  Bottle the rest.

Bottle the oaked wort after 6 weeks or so.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Mashing a small batch right now.

Belgian Tripel

11 quarts

6 lbs Pilsner

1 lb US 2 Row (did not have enough pilsner)

.5 lbs Lyle's Golden Syrup (add late in the boil)

German Hallertau hop pellets 4.1%AA

.75 oz 60 minutes

.25 oz 30 minutes

Wyeast Belgian Abbey Yeast (1214)

Mash 150 degrees for 70 minutes.

Boil 80 minutes.

Chill and pitch yeast.  Since this is a higher gravity beer I pitched a starter.  I crash cooled it and will decant off most of the liquid before pitching.

Ferment 3 weeks or so then rack one gallon onto some oak cubes soaked in bourbon.  Bottle the rest.

Let us know how this one turns out for sure, I'm very interested.  How long you going to soak/age the oaked portion.

I spent both weekend afternoons making wine.  It was not planned, but with grapes they plan for you.  The sugar and acid got in balance so it was time to go.  In the end I will get about 5 gallons each of Marachel Foch and Oberlin Noir.  Last year I threw both together just to get 3 gallons.  Smile

I will be laboring on Labor Day to get the whites in, most likely...really, REALLY hope I can find some help to pick them or it will take hours.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

Let us know how this one turns out for sure, I'm very interested.  How long you going to soak/age the oaked portion.

I just added the cubes to the bourbon.  I will do that for the duration of the primary fermentation.  That link that I referenced a page back seemed to hint that you would get full absorption in a couple of weeks so I should be OK.  For reference a quarter ounce was 9 cubes.  Each cube was about the size of a pea.  They smelled good!

I don't like my tripels spiced, so for the base beer I want to get my flavor from the yeast.  Weyerbacher makes a nice tripel, no spices.  The brewers hinted that it is basically pilsner malt and the same yeast that I am using.  I am going to ferment this one warm to try to coax some good flavors out of the yeast.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

No issues brewing.  I hit my target OG of 1.079 and am thinking that I will finish with an ABV of 8 - 8.5%.  It's been a while since I have brewed a bigger beer.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

I have some lactose leftover from the stout and was thinking what to use it in.  Maybe an oat brown ale.  Sort of like cookies and cream.

Off from work.  It is time.

Cookies and Cream - 11 quarts

3.5 lbs Maris Otter

1.5 lbs Oat Malt

6 oz Special B Malt

1 oz Chocolate Malt

8 oz Lactose (add with 10 minutes left in the boil)

Tettnang whole leaf hops, 6.3% AA

.5 oz 45 minutes

.25 oz 15 minutes

Wyeast 1098 British Ale, no starter

Mash 152 for 60 minutes

Boil 60 minutes

Chill, pitch, and ferment 3 weeks or so.  Then package.

Hoping for oatmeal raisin cookies.  Loosely based on an English Brown Ale.  Special B gives a raisiny taste.  The lactose is your milk.  This is totally on a whim, so we will see.  Sure sounds interesting.

Not at it at all. 

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Hoping for oatmeal raisin cookies.  Loosely based on an English Brown Ale.  Special B gives a raisiny taste.  The lactose is your milk.  This is totally on a whim, so we will see.  Sure sounds interesting.

Sounds like it might be pretty tasty if it works out.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Prince of Fatness

Sounds like it might be pretty tasty if it works out.

I will provide tasting notes when I bottle so I will report back then.  A couple of more weeks.

And Whodat, Saturday the 21st is a big day.  I will be brewing 5 gallons of, wait for it .......... Coffee Porter!

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Belgian Tripel

I just racked a gallon to a jug with the oak cubes and bottled the remainder of the batch.

The beer smelled and tasted very similar to Weyerbacher Merry Monks.  They posted on their web site that the beer was all pilsner malt and the same yeast that I used.  I let the temperature get up to the low 70's during active fermentation and it really drew out the flavors from the yeast.  FG was 1.010 and this beer comes in around 9% ABV.  For as young as this was it did not have a hot alcohol burn.  I am quite happy with the way that this turned out.

I spooned out the cubes and put them in the jug, so there was just a little bourbon that went in there with them.  There was about a shot of bourbon left and I sipped on that.  Oaked Makers Mark is good!

So far so good.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

I spooned out the cubes and put them in the jug, so there was just a little bourbon that went in there with them.  There was about a shot of bourbon left and I sipped on that.  Oaked Makers Mark is good!

So far so good.

Waste not, want not...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

Saturday the 21st is a big day.  I will be brewing 5 gallons of, wait for it .......... Coffee Porter!

Brewing will start in a couple of hours.  I have a pint or so of coffee concentrate in the fridge.  I steeped a half a pound of coffee in a quart of water overnight.  You can smell the coffee when you open the fridge.  Yum.

Coffee will be added to the wort at flame out.

Not at it at all. 

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Belgian Tripel, Cookies & Cream, and Coffee Porter. That's a damn fine lineup you've got going there.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Prince of Fatness

Belgian Tripel, Cookies & Cream, and Coffee Porter. That's a damn fine lineup you've got going there.

I will probably taste a Tripel about a month after bottling just to see how it is coming along but I really want to age them until at least December or beyond.

I will bottle the Cookies and Cream early next week.  Real curious as to how it will taste.

No issues brewing the Coffee Porter.  I hit my target gravity and fermentation took of by the next morning.  Airlock activity has slowed down significantly.  This will be fermented for 3 - 4 weeks then I will bottle.

I have ideas for my next batch .... a few weeks away for that.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Coffee Porter was bottled last week.  Sample was tasty.

Looking for a nice session beer to fit the cold season so I brewed this up yesterday.

Minute Munich Cream Ale

3.5 lb Light Munich Malt

1.5 lb Minute Rice

.5 oz US Tettnang hops (60 min)

.25 oz US Tettnang hops (15 min)

Wyeast American Ale (1056) yeast, no starter.

Mash 150 degrees for 60 minutes, boil 60 minutes.  Chill and pitch yeast.

I have done all Munich beers before and this malt can really stand on its own.  This should be good.,

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

I will probably taste a Tripel about a month after bottling just to see how it is coming along but I really want to age them until at least December or beyond.

Wow that came out nice.  I really got some great flavor from the yeast.  Might be the best beer that I have brewed to date.  Will bottle the oaked version soon.

I will bottle the Cookies and Cream early next week.  Real curious as to how it will taste.

Was not impressed when I bottled but after 4 weeks I just took my first taste and it ain't half bad.

Not at it at all.