Drinkers with a Running Problem

Home Brewers... (Read 1606 times)

Prince of Fatness

I just racked a gallon to a jug with the oak cubes and bottled the remainder of the batch.

I spooned out the cubes and put them in the jug, so there was just a little bourbon that went in there with them.  There was about a shot of bourbon left and I sipped on that.  Oaked Makers Mark is good!

Bottled this evening.  The bourbon and oak is very subtle. Maybe too much so.  I will need to do a side by side comparison with the unoaked version once this carbs up.  The base beer is good so no harm if there is not much difference.  I am glad that I only experimented with a gallon.

In retrospect I would have been better off mixing in all of the bourbon.  It is only one shot to a gallon and I think that what I left out took some oak flavor with it.  Next time I do this all of the booze goes in with the beer.

Not at it at all. 

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I prefer the bourbon flavor to be subtle. A lot of the bourbon barrel beers that I've had I thought would have been a lot better if they would have dialed back on the bourbon.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Prince of Fatness

I prefer the bourbon flavor to be subtle.

Yeah me too.  I really need to do a side by side to tell how much flavor there is.  Next month.

Pouring that shpt out (OK, down my stomach) not only took bourbon away but also took a lot of oak away I think.  The bourbon was discolored and deliciously oakey.

I am gonna do this with a full 5 gallon batch.  Scotch ale with Glen Livet.  I am thinking that 5 times the cubes won't require 5 shots of Scotch depending on the container that I use.  I'll pour it all into the secondary.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

.  Scotch ale with Glen Livet. 

You certainly don't cut corners on ingredients...  Shocked

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

You certainly don't cut corners on ingredients...  Shocked

It is what is on hand.  I don't drink all that much Scotch so I won't miss a couple of shots.  It was either that or Johnny Black.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Coffee Porter came out nice.  Hard to tell whether I like this year or last year better.

Brewed this up yesterday.

Galaxy Amber

5 lb US 2-Row

1 lb Light Munich Malt

12 oz Crystal 40L

2 oz Crystal 120L

All Galaxy Hops

.25 oz  first wort

.25 oz  60 minutes

.25 oz  15 minutes

.25 oz  10 minutes

.25 oz  5 minutes

.75 oz  flameout

1 oz 7 day dry hop

Safale US-05 dry yeast

Mash 152 degrees for 60 minutes, boil 60 minutes.  Chill and pitch yeast.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Looking for a nice session beer to fit the cold season so I brewed this up yesterday.

Minute Munich Cream Ale

Drank my first bottle of this last week.  It came out nice and malty from the Munich Malt but also light and refreshing.  Just what I was looking for.

Galaxy Amber

Bottled this up last night.  A 7% Amber Ale loaded with Galaxy hops.  Yum!

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Enjoying a bourbon oaked tripel right now.  I would like a little more bourbon and oak but I must say that it is damn delicious.

I have days to burn so no work today.  Might as well brew.

Kitchen Sink Russian Imperial Stout

5.5 lbs US 2 Row

1 lb Light Munich

.25 lb Roasted Barley

.25 lb Chocolate Malt

.25 lb Special B

.25 lb Crystal 20L

1 scoop 8 o'clock coffee also added to the mash

1 oz Nugget hops (60 minutes)

.25 oz US Tettnang hops (15 minutes)

SafeAle US-05 dry yeast

I usually like to keep my recipes simple with this style affords itself to mixing it up, hence the name.  Looking for something around 8%.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

I usually have a brewing party in my garage the Saturday after Thanksgiving but this year my appendix had other ideas so it was postponed until this coming Saturday.

Dubbel Trouble

10 lb US 2-row

2 lb Light Munich

.5 lb Caramunich I

.25 lb Special B

1 lb D-180 Candi Syrup (add late in boil)

.5 oz Nugget (60 min)

.5 oz US Tettnang (15 min)

Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes (1 qt starter)

Mash 152 degrees for 60 minutes.  Sparge, then boil 60 minutes.  Chill and pitch yeast.  Ferment 3 - 4 weeks then bottle.  Gonna try to ferment as warm as possible.  May be tough given the time of year.

I expect a large turnout for this event.  Might turn into a bottle share.  Temperatures are supposed to be in the mid 40s so I luck out there.

Not at it at all. 

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

That looks like it would be mighty tasty. Have you made it before?

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Prince of Fatness

That looks like it would be mighty tasty. Have you made it before?

Nope, and that's a little out of character for me.  Usually I try out my new recipes by doing small batches on the stove.  But this is a fairly simple recipe and I usually have good luck brewing Belgians.  The only catch is that I usually brew Belgians when the weather is warmer because I like to ramp the temperature up during primary fermentation.  That brings out all of those good Belgian yeasty flavors.  I'll have to put this up in a warmer room upstairs, me thinks.

Not at it at all. 

gusgordon

I've been reading up on dubbel/tripel/quad recipes, and one bit of advice I've seen to avoid harsh alcohol flavors is to start the fermentation somewhat low--low to mid 60s--and then let the temp rise gradually after that.  But that might be specific to certain yeast strains.

I'm finally about to take the all-grain plunge, and, while I'm at it, I'm going to start making 10-gallon batches and to start kegging.

Prince of Fatness

I've been reading up on dubbel/tripel/quad recipes, and one bit of advice I've seen to avoid harsh alcohol flavors is to start the fermentation somewhat low--low to mid 60s--and then let the temp rise gradually after that.  But that might be specific to certain yeast strains.

I'm finally about to take the all-grain plunge, and, while I'm at it, I'm going to start making 10-gallon batches and to start kegging.

Yeah as a rule I like to pitch around 60 degrees, even cooler for some yeast strains.  I had some good fortune with this batch as we had a couple of days of warm weather so the temperature ramped up to a little over 70.  Good thing that I used a blow off tube otherwise I would have had a ceiling full of beer.  That would not have gone over well.

Good luck going all grain.  You're gonna need a big brew kettle to do 10 gallon batches.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Galaxy Amber

Got my first taste of this yesterday.  This came out great.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Kitchen Sink Russian Imperial Stout

I usually like to keep my recipes simple with this style affords itself to mixing it up, hence the name.  Looking for something around 8%.

Just bottled this up tonight.  OG 1.074, FG 1.016, ABV ~8.4%  That's about the ABV that I was looking for.  Sample tasted pretty damn good so I am optimistic.  Gonna let this one sit until late next fall.  Will sample a bottle every few months to see how it is coming along.

Keeping with the kitchen sink theme I primed with dark brown sugar.

Not at it at all.