Drinkers with a Running Problem

Home Brewers... (Read 1606 times)

Prince of Fatness

Typical price is in the $200-$300 dollar range, IIRC.

Ouch.  Oak cubes enough for several batches are < $10.

But yeah, I would prefer something used once for bourbon or scotch or something.  10 gallon max.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Ouch.  Oak cubes enough for several batches are < $10.

But yeah, I would prefer something used once for bourbon or scotch or something.  10 gallon max.

By definition bourbon barrels are only used once; love to find you one down in KY and ship it to you but I seriously doubt anybody uses ones that small.

You could season a 5gal barrel with Glenlivet for around $700... Big grin

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

http://www.thebrewbros.com/2013/01/the-next-big-thing-in-homebrewing-home-barrel-aging/

So it would need to be from a small distillery and I don't really care if it is bourbon or not.  Still may be too pricey for my liking, especially if the cubes work out.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

http://www.thebrewbros.com/2013/01/the-next-big-thing-in-homebrewing-home-barrel-aging/

So it would need to be from a small distillery and I don't really care if it is bourbon or not.  Still may be too pricey for my liking, especially if the cubes work out.

It's not beer but I will let you know my impression on cubes about a year from now.  I switched to them from chips for wine.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

It's not beer but I will let you know my impression on cubes about a year from now.  I switched to them from chips for wine.

I will know in 2 months, heh.  I was disappointed that I did not get much bourbon or oak in the Tripel but that was the whole point of experimenting with a gallon.  And the beer itself is delicious, just not much extra flavor added (although I should do a side by side comparison.  Have not done that).

What I did learn was to pour all of the liquor in with the cubes.  Control the intensity of the flavor via amount of cubes and liquor used.  Gonna be hard not to hit on the oaked Glen Livet tho!

I am trying to think of some other beer and liquor combinations to try.  I like Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Ale so an Oaked Frangelico Brown may work.  I am really enjoying my Dubbel.  Maybe rum with that.  If this Scotch Ale comes out good I may kick it up a notch with an Islay scotch.  May need to buy more carboys.

Not at it at all. 

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I guess that I shouldn't have left the Swamp.  Sounds like I missed out on something.

They've been lamenting the loss of your Friday threads over there.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Prince of Fatness

They've been lamenting the loss of your Friday threads over there.

Tell those idiots that anyone can do it.  Took me a couple of minutes every Friday.  Google images.  Example:

https://www.google.com/search?q=jessica+alba+bikini&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=6OQQU6jCJuWp0QGcrYCgAQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=655

Not at it at all. 

gusgordon

What I did learn was to pour all of the liquor in with the cubes. 

Could you use those cubes later for smoking/grilling food?

I've got to get my lazy ass into the kitchen to start some brewing.  Still haven't pulled the trigger on the upgrades I have been thinking of to go all-grain at a bigger scale.

Has anyone here ever used melanoidin?   A local brewery uses this in their session-ish rye pale ale and it gives the beer outstanding mouthfeel and maltiness.  Seems like a nice solution to give some balance to a hopped-up lower-ABV IPA/PA, a style that I often find not particularly satisfying (e.g., Founders All-Day session IPA--tastes like hoppy water).

Prince of Fatness

Could you use those cubes later for smoking/grilling food?

I don't see why not.  This issue that you will have is that there just are not that many of them.  I only used an ounce and a half of cubes for a 5 gallon batch.

Has anyone here ever used melanoidin?

I used it in an Irish Red once.  A little goes a long way.  Besides the malty flavor it adds a reddish hue to the beer.  If I had to describe it I would say it is like Munich Malt on steroids.  If you get some chew on a couple of grains.  Lots of flavor.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Double post.  Move along.

Scratch that.  I have an update.

So this evening I racked the beer over the Glen Livet and the oak cubes.  I was proud of myself for not taking a sip of the Scotch.  You definitely got a nice oakey scotch aroma as the beer was filling the carboy.  I sampled the base beer and it was sweet and malty, just as a wee heavy should be.  It will sit for a couple of months and then I will bottle.  The big question that remains is whether I used the right amount of cubes and booze.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Altbier

This came out good.  Nice and malty.

Gotta get some beer in the pipeline before hip surgery next month so I brewed this past Sunday.  Been a while since I brewed a SMaSH, so...

2 Row / Falconer's Flight SMaSH

5.5 lbs US 2 Row Malt

Hops all Falconer's Flight (11.4% AA)

.25 oz first wort

.25 oz 60 mins

.25 oz 15 mins

.25 oz 10 mins

.25 oz 5 mins

.75 oz flameout

A few days beforehand, toast 1 lb of the malt at 300 for 25 minutes, and .25 lb at 325 for 30 minutes.

Wyeast 1272 American Ale II yeast, no starter

Mash 152 for an hour.  Boil an hour, chill, and pitch yeast.

More on Falconer's Flight hops.  I can say that there was lots of citrus aroma when I opened up the pack.  Looking forward to tasting.

http://beerpulse.com/2011/03/hopunion-releases-falconers-flight-hop-to-honor-glen-hay-falconer/

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Sigh.  It is good to know that my government loves me and is looking out for me.

http://beerofsc.com/2014/02/06/its-not-easy-being-green-a-new-spent-grain-rule/

For the record, I have a compost bin by my vegetable garden and my spent grains are dumped in there.  Personally I would take the extremely minimal risk of catching some kind of disease over having tons of spent grains dumped in landfills.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

2 Row / Falconer's Flight SMaSH

Bottled this up tonight.  Hops had a citrusy profile as advertised.  Tasty pale ale.  You could brew a mighty fine IPA with them me thinks.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You could brew a mighty fine IPA with them me thinks.

Yes. Yes you could. Yazoo did. Hop Project 77. Headed your way soon.

Not_Race_Coach

'15 Forumite of the Year

hello, my friends.

The Black IPA (which actually ended up as dark as I wanted) was bottled last night.

My English Pale stopped bubbling a few days ago so I will rack it to the secondaries this weekend (2 gal are going into a carboy, 1 gal is going to be dry hopped in a jug).  They will be ready just in time for Tim to help me bottle.

I am not sure what is up next.  I have a 1 gallon rye kit sitting around, so I guess I will brew that next time I am bored.

...this post has been brought to you by gossip websites and whiskey.