Drinkers with a Running Problem

Home Brewers... (Read 1606 times)

Prince of Fatness

Been off from work this week.  After a few days in SC, I am back in cold NJ.  Today I will light a fire and brew some beer.

Grapefruit Citra IPA

6.0 lb 2 row malt

.5 lb Flaked barley

.25 lb Crystal 20L malt

All Citra hops 14.5% AA

.375 oz first wort

.375 oz 60 min

.5 oz 15 min

.5 oz 10 min

.5 oz 5 min

.75 oz flameout

1 oz 7 day dry hop

Zest one grapefruit and add to mash

Zest one grapefruit and add to wort at flameout

Safale US-05 dry yeast (no starter)

Mash 151 for 60 minutes.  Boil 60 minutes.  Chill and pitch yeast.  1 week before bottling add the dry hops.

I have a few ideas for adding citrus zest so this is sort of a test run.  Not sure how much flavor I will get from the grapefruit zest.  The Citra hops may dominate.  Or, the hop flavor may be enhanced.  Either way I love Citra hops so I am thinking that this will be good.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Had everything done and cleaned up well before dinner. OG was 1.068. I could taste a hint of grapefruit in the sample that I pulled. It remains to be seen whether I will taste any when I bottle.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I would drink that...

tim uf

Upgraded: Sort of Broken

Had everything done and cleaned up well before dinner. OG was 1.068. I could taste a hint of grapefruit in the sample that I pulled. It remains to be seen whether I will taste any when I bottle.

if its anyhting like limoncello, the alcohol will pull a lot of the oils out of the zest as it is produced in the fermenter.

Chill, be mellow, and be in a mood for embracing the sun.

"ooohhh, what is the malted liquor, what gets you drunker quicker,
          what comes in bottles or in cans?
          BEER!"

Prince of Fatness

if its anyhting like limoncello, the alcohol will pull a lot of the oils out of the zest as it is produced in the fermenter.

I did not leave any zest in the fermenter. When I fill the bucket I line it with a strainer bag and pull the bag out. Most of the particulate comes out with the bag.

But yeah, fermentation changes the flavor. Also there will be the dry hop. I would think that the beer would be citrusy if nothing else.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

tim uf

Upgraded: Sort of Broken

Anyone use Briess Ashburne Mild Malt? Looks like they are saying it has a less fermentable sugar yield than typical 2-row or pale malt. I think i want to make porter with it comprising 25-40% of my grist.

Chill, be mellow, and be in a mood for embracing the sun.

"ooohhh, what is the malted liquor, what gets you drunker quicker,
                what comes in bottles or in cans?
                BEER!"

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Prince of Fatness

Anyone use Briess Ashburne Mild Malt? Looks like they are saying it has a less fermentable sugar yield than typical 2-row or pale malt. I think i want to make porter with it comprising 25-40% of my grist.

Have not used it but feel free to brew a batch and send me some.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

OK.  So I brewed yesterday.  Here's how it went.

First I took the yeast out of the fridge.  The yeast came in a packet.  You break an inner nutrient packet and then it said that the packet should swell over a couple of hours time.  That is what happened.

Steeping the grains was pretty easy.  I divided them into two muslin bags and soaked them for 30 minutes.  Temperature stayed at a steady 160 degrees during this process.  My wife's thermometer worked pretty well.  The guy at the store said to run some water through the bags when done, but do not squeeze them.  This was pretty easy to accomplish with a colander.

I added the extract and brought it to a boil.  I also added the hops (in another muslin bag).  I boiled for an hour.  I used this time to sanitize the fermenting stuff.

After the boil I put the pot in an ice bath in the sink.  It took about 30 minutes to cool enough.  I removed the hop bag.

I combined the wort and water to 5 gallons, then added the yeast.  Then I had an accident.  As I was putting the airlock on I pressed too hard and pushed the o-ring down into the wort.  I had a hard time fishing to o-ring out, got pissed off, and just stuck my arm in and grabbed it.  So I may have screwed up this batch.  But hey, it got named.  Elbow Deep Dunkelweisen.  The lesson here is to put the airlock on the lid first, then put the lid on the fermenter.  Nothing I can do about it now and I'm not going to worry about it.

This morning I looked and did not notice much of any activity in the air lock.  It was pretty cool in the house overnight so I wonder if that is it.  I don't want to keep opening the thing up to check it (yes I will get a carboy).  I think that the yeast was good because the packet expanded as it said it should.  And I don't think that the wort was too hot when I added the yeast.  Any suggestions?

So this coming Saturday marks the 5th anniversary of this, my first batch of beer.  I guess that I am no longer a newb.  Gonna have to drink a homebrew to celebrate.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

still a newb...

heh

you've done well, young padawan

Prince of Fatness

That beer actually turned out pretty good all things considered.  It was an extract kit and I still have the recipe.  Maybe this year I will convert it to all grain and brew it again to celebrate the 5 years.  Need to wait a few months so I can ferment warm.  Hmmmm.

Not at it at all. 

Not_Race_Coach

'15 Forumite of the Year

I am itching to do a homebrew batch too.  Just not sure what.

I am thinking a gose in a few weeks/months for summer drinking, but maybe I should do some test batches to decide what I want in the taproom (still leaning towards a mild, but it will have to be really good)

...this post has been brought to you by gossip websites and whiskey.

Prince of Fatness

I know what my next one is.  It's a coffee beer taking ideas from a couple of coffee beers that I have tried recently and really enjoyed.

The first is Carton Regular Coffee.  This is an imperial cream ale (12%) with coffee.  They wanted it to taste like a cup of regular coffee and I'll be damned if it doesn't.  So I will start with a big cream ale (7 - 8%).  What I don't want is the sweetness that the Carton has, so I will mash low in order for this thing to ferment dry.  This is also where the next beer comes in.  Southern Tier 2xPresso.  They added lemon and I really like what that did to the beer.  So I will add some lemon zest with the coffee.  For coffee I will use lighter roast.  Need to go to the roaster and find something.  Should be interesting.

Not at it at all. 

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Hey Finn, do you take requests? The talk of coffee beers got me thinking. I'd like to propose a Cafe Au Lait Porter. It would be a milk porter brewed with coffee and chicory.

MTA: Preferably served with beignets :-)

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.