Drinkers with a Running Problem

Home Brewers... (Read 1606 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Planning to make me an Old Ale with Rye, to age in my rye barrel after taking out the barley wine.

Brewed this batch yesterday.

Brew Day 4/18/2015
    - 6 gal @ 170F in cooler + malts -> 154F exactly
    - 80 minutes with first runnings @ 1.070 SG, 3.8 gallons
    - 3.9 gallons sparge at 180F x 45 minutes
    - Second runnings @ 1.050, ~4 gallons
    - Added 16.5 oz molasses
    - 9 gallons put on to boil. Boiled 60 minutes down to 7.5 gallons, then added 3oz goldings, 1.5 oz fuggles
    - After 45 minutes more (1:45 total), was 7 gallons, added 1.5 oz fuggles
    - Boiled a bit longer to 2:30 total to 5.5 gallons @ 1.092

4/19/2015
    - Pitched yeast from dregs in 3 x 1/2 gallon cold crashed apple cider starters

Also, I built a new 10 gallon round cooler brewing apparatus last week, with integrated mash tun and sparging. SO MUCH easier, more temperature stable and satisfying. No leaks. Yesterday was the first batch brewed in it.

Prince of Fatness

Atypical Coffee Beer

Bottled this last night.  When I pitched the yeast I thought that it was a little too much lemon and not enough coffee.  Well, when I pulled the sample last night there was definitely a coffee aroma.  There is a good taste of coffee and the lemon is just right for my taste.  I was looking for something similar to Carton Regular Coffee but less sweet.  I achieved that goal.  The only thing that I might do different is add a bit more coffee, but not much more.  Can't wait for this to carb up.  ABV came to 7.6%.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Saturday was National Homebrew Day.  I had too much going on that day but did manage to get a batch brewed Friday evening.  Just a simple SMaSH.

2 Row / Equinox SMaSH

5.5 lbs US 2 Row Malt

Hops all Equinox (14.7% AA)

.25 oz first wort

.25 oz 60 mins

.25 oz 15 mins

.25 oz 10 mins

.25 oz 5 mins

.75 oz flameout

A few days beforehand, toast 1 lb of the malt at 300 for 25 minutes.

Wyeast 1056 American Ale yeast, no starter.

Mash 152 for an hour.  Boil an hour, chill, and pitch yeast.

OG ended up at 1.055.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Just got done bottling this. The grapefruit is easily distinguishable. I am very pleased with this. I think that I got myself a bitter grapefruit bomb. FG 1.011.

You should be pleased.  I just finished mine and it was a great beer.  I loved the profile.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

You should be pleased.  I just finished mine and it was a great beer.  I loved the profile.

Thanks.  I'd really like to brew this one again but have so many other ideas floating around in my head who knows when I'll get to it.  I may end up experimenting with other hop and citrus combinations.  El Dorado and orange comes to mind.  Or maybe Sorachi Ace and lemon.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Tracy's Wit

Bottled this up last night.  It's a nice solid wit.  Some nice flavor from the orange zest and coriander, not over the top.  FG was 1.009 giving an ABV of 5.9%.  That's a bit high for a wit but that's how the ball bounces sometimes.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Atypical Coffee Beer

Have had several bottles of this and am really liking it.  Just a bit more coffee and it would be perfect.  Goes down way to easy for the 7.6% ABV.

Jack in the Kitchen Sink

Bottled this up Friday.  It's a nice stout, and the JD is quite noticeable.  The gravity was a bit high when I racked it to the secondary but I lost a few more points there.  FG was 1.016. Comes to 9.2% ABV.  Now to let it sit.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I brewed a Founders Breakfast Stout inspired oatmeal stout the other week. Added rye and some pale malt varieties to get some depth. Just ordered a sorghum whiskey barrel to age the stuff with chocolate and coffee... http://oldsugardistillery.com/<wbr>whiskey.html

Targets:
                  - Volume: 6.5 gal
                  - Original Gravity: 1.076
                  - Final Gravity: 1.019
                  - IBU: 30.3
                  - Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
                  - Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 2 weeks @ 65F
                  - Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 4 weeks @ 65F

Grain Bill:
                  - 4.0 lbs. (21.3%) American 2-row
                  - 4.0 lbs. (21.3%) Vienna malt
                  - 4.0 lbs. (21.3%) Maris Otter
                  - 1.0 lb. (5.3%) American Chocolate Malt
                  - 0.5 lbs. (2.7%) Special B
                  - 2.0 lbs. (10.7%) Oats (flaked)
                  - 2.0 lbs. (10.7%) Rye (flaked)
                  - 0.75 lbs. (4.0%) Roasted Barley
                  - 0.5 lbs (2.7%) American Black Patent

Total Grain Weight: 18.75 lbs

Hops / Adjuncts Bill:
                  - 0.5 oz Nugget (Whole, 13.00 %AA) boiled 60 min.
                  - 0.5 oz Mt. Hood (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 30 min.
                  - 0.5 oz Mt. Hood (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 2 min.

- 2 oz Ground Sumatran coffee at flameout
                  - 2 oz Ground Kona coffee cold brewed, added at bottling
                  - 2.5 oz Dark bittersweet baker's chocolate at 15 mins.
                  - 1.5 oz Unsweetened chocolate baking nibs at 15 mins.

Yeast:
                  - English Ale (White Labs #WLP002)

My math (Strike Water Temperature Tw = (.2/R)(T2 - T1) + T2; r is ratio of water to grain in quarts/lb
                  - for r = 1.25 = x/19; x = 24 quarts = 6 gallons
                  = (0.2/1.33)(155 - 65) + 155
                  = 168 degrees (6.25 gallons for 18.75 lbs grain)

Mash Schedule:
                  - Single Infusion @ 155F x 60 min

Brew Day Notes (5/19/2015)
                  - 6.25 gallons cold tap water heated to 163.
                  - Mashed in, hit 150. Held for 2 hours (Extra time to compensate for lower temp.
                  - Collected 3 gallons first runnings at 1.070
                  - Batch Sparge with 3 gallons at 180
                  - Sparge stabilized at 158.
                  - Collected 3.5 gallons second runnings starting at 1.070, dropping to 1.030, total wort at 1.055.
                  -- (single second running, probably didn’t let the first one go long enough)
                  - Heat to boil over 80 minutes
                  - 0.5 oz Nugget pellets added
                  - 0.5 oz Mt. Hood pellets added 30 minutes later
                  - 0.5 oz Mt. Hood pellets added another 30 minutes later
                  - Pulled immediately off heat and into primary to cool overnight.
                  - Yield was 6.75 gallons at 1.080, total brew time 5.5 hours

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Prince of Fatness

I brewed a Founders Breakfast Stout inspired oatmeal stout the other week. Added rye and some pale malt varieties to get some depth. Just ordered a sorghum whiskey barrel to age the stuff with chocolate and coffee... http://oldsugardistillery.com/whiskey.html

What are you using for coffee and how are you adding it?  And how's this coming along?

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Tracy's Wit

I have shared quite a bit of this (gone through about a case), and must say that this one is a keeper.  Everyone that has tried it has enjoyed it.  I'm real happy with the amount of orange that comes out.  Obvious but not over the top.  I'm glad that I have more for the summer months.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

1/2 gallon of a medium roast, single origin, fair trade Guatemalan hot brewed coffee, poured straight into the barrel with the beer prior to a 4 week or so age. Today I added 2 lbs of fresh home-roasted cocoa nibs. There is some vanilla in there too.

What are you using for coffee and how are you adding it?  And how's this coming along?

Prince of Fatness

1/2 gallon of a medium roast, single origin, fair trade Guatemalan hot brewed coffee, poured straight into the barrel with the beer prior to a 4 week or so age. Today I added 2 lbs of fresh home-roasted cocoa nibs. There is some vanilla in there too.

I would have steeped the coffee at room temperature for a day. A lot less bitter that way.  Plus there is the added bonus of your kitchen smelling like a coffee shop. Smells so good when you cold brew coffee.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Cold brewed coffee and hot brewed coffee are two different things with different flavor profiles. This stuff is yummy, rich and sweet, and should go nicely with the rest of the beer. Plus, the hot brew process is more antiseptic than cold brewed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

(plus I did not have a day with my travel schedule...)