Drinkers with a Running Problem

Extreme beer (Read 452 times)

...---...

“The hoppiest beer?” Garrett asked. “It’s a fairly idiotic pursuit, like a chef saying, ‘This is the saltiest dish.’ Anyone can toss hops in a pot, but can you make it beautiful?” Phil likened the appeal of these beers to the macho allure of hot sauces, which almost dare enthusiasts to try the hottest ones. I tend to agree. The DIPA's I've had lately have been kind-of harsh...even sour (vs. bitter). A triple? Wow. Don't know if I could go there. I'm still learning BUT does a double or triple have to have alcohol levels so high? That, to me, kills the character. Maybe it's just me but I think 6 - 7.5% is plenty...probably my comfort zone on alcohol. I tried a DIPA Hebrew recently...finishing it was an exercise in suffering. I think the americal pales ales fit my taste buds best...right now.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Head Procrastinator

DFH 90 minute is my personal #1 too. I feel so special Wink
      ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
        I'm not an IPA guy to begin with. A "hoppy" taste is not enjoyable to me, and I can only imagine what the extreme IPA's are like. Give me a nice porter or stout any day - aaaahhhhh...

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

Imminent Catastrophe

I love a good IPA. Strangely, they are hard to find in India. Ironic, eh?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

DFH 90 minute is my personal #1 too. I feel so special Wink
            I had that for the first time last month and REALLY liked it! I need to find it close to me.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

...---...

I love a good IPA. Strangely, they are hard to find in India. Ironic, eh?
              LOL! You're killing me with that avatar.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

My wife, PDR, is a real hop-head. Consequently, all of the beers I make tend to be overhopped. I did make a double IPA once -- but you don't want that stuff hanging around your house in a keg too often -- generally 9% ABH or higher.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Head Procrastinator

I had that for the first time last month and REALLY liked it! I need to find it close to me.
                  That sounds just a little kinky Shocked Lou, does it go bad in a keg because of the high alcohol content? You know I offered myself up for adoption, it wouldn't be around long with me there Tongue

Head Procrastinator

I'm not an IPA guy to begin with. A "hoppy" taste is not enjoyable to me, and I can only imagine what the extreme IPA's are like. Give me a nice porter or stout any day - aaaahhhhh...
                    I love a good Porter or Stout too. My brother brought me a six pack of DuckRabbit porter from NC that isn't sold anywhere near here. It was yummy. Scored high on Beer Advocate too. I see a trend here, I tend to like higher alcohol beers. But, I am satisfied with one or two where the lower ones I can keep drinking.
                      That sounds just a little kinky Shocked Lou, does it go bad in a keg because of the high alcohol content? You know I offered myself up for adoption, it wouldn't be around long with me there Tongue
                      I bet he means you'd be apt to be loaded all the time, since it's high-test and readily available.

All business

DFH 90 minute is my personal #1 too.
                        Dogfish is great stuff. I saw this DFH 120 at the Maproom last time i was there. 20% ABV, 450 calories per bottle. Wooo! MTA: Now i've RTFA and see it was mentioned there. Oh well.

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

Lou, does it go bad in a keg because of the high alcohol content?
                          It doesn't go bad, but the problem is it goes down too easy and is a shock to the system, especially for us morning risers.
                          I bet he means you'd be apt to be loaded all the time, since it's high-test and readily available.
                          Uh, yeah. What he said.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Dogfish is great stuff. I saw this DFH 120 at the Maproom last time i was there. 20% ABV, 450 calories per bottle. Wooo! MTA: Now i've RTFA and see it was mentioned there. Oh well.
                            Hey, I was just at the Maproom last month after my brother's grad school graduation. I know someone here was already familiar with that little place...was it you? What an awesome little joint. Smile k ETA: I see it was you...I went back to read that thread. Wish I lived in Bucktown. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Head Procrastinator

It doesn't go bad, but the problem is it goes down too easy and is a shock to the system, especially for us morning risers. Uh, yeah. What he said.
                              Oh, is that all the problem is? I don't get up that early Big grin They had the DFH 120 at my local beer store too. I fainted from sticker shock Shocked