Drinkers with a Running Problem

Home Brewers... (Read 1606 times)

Prince of Fatness

Bible arrived in the mail today.

Not at it at all. 

Former runner

The converted cooler isn't a whole lot different. Instead of heating the water and grain in the pot you put the milled grain in the cooler and add the water at a certain temp to achieve your mash temp. The trick is calculating the correct temp for the water to equalize the temp of the grain with the amount of water you add. I use a program called beersmith to calculate everything for me. There are also several iPhone apps and websites that will calculate the temps for you. Once you hit your temps in the cooler you just close the lid and wait an hour. The braided hose is what keeps the grain in the cooler and allows you to draw the wort.

Ross

Prince of Fatness

Went to the home brewing store.  I had a conversation with them and decided to go the partial mash route for the first couple of batches.  I'll go all grain at some point.  Going all extracts seemed too easy and boring perhaps so I figure that this is a good way to get started.

The people at this place were nice.  They said to call anytime I had a question and I got on their mailing list.

I have all of the equipment that I need, and the beer kit.  I will be brewing next weekend.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Out of Trent's list, this is what I am missing...

Equipment, for starting:

1-2 5 gallon glass carboys
          straining bag
          floating thermometer

Are any of these a big deal?  From what I read it is fine to ferment soley in the plastic bucket.  And my wife has a meat thermometer that we can use.  She said that it should go up past 170 degrees.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I really like using carboys.

Any thermometer that covers 80-180 should be fine

I really like the straining bag, but as long as you have a way to filter wort from spent grain you are fine.

Prince of Fatness

I shouldn't have to filter since I am not doing all grains for the first couple of batches (at least I think not).  What I got was a kit that had grains and extracts.  I'll steep the grains (the kit came with muslin bags), then add the extracts.

I am definitely going to go to all grains after a couple of batches.  All extracts seemed too easy, sort of like making the pancakes where you just add water, or are they "pancakes", heh.  This seemed like a good place to start.  I'll do this one, a couple more, the go all grain.

I'll look to get some of those missing supplies as I go along.

By the way, this is the beer I will be brewing.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I would get the carboy asap.  I would also go all grain asap.

Prince of Fatness

I would get the carboy asap.  I would also go all grain asap.

Yeah, I want the carboy if for no other reason just to watch the beer ferment.  That would make me happy.  And I want to go all grains because I want to experiment and stuff.

Don't worry, I'll get there.  Sooner rather than later.  Relax.  Have a home brew.  Heh.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

It ain't really homebrew when all you do is add water

Prince of Fatness

Dude, I am not doing all extracts.  Don't hate on me.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Relax.  Have a home brew.

Throwing grain into extract is like sprinkling Republican ideas in a 2700 page Democratic bill.  Wait.  Never mine.

Prince of Fatness

Very good.  At least you don't do take backs like the ones done in the Swamp.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Relax.  Have a home brew.

Wink

2nd batch for me this weekend. (yes still the kit, partial mash) IPA or Steam

But, I'm going to get the floating thermometer. Meat thermometer worked ok.

What's the next book to read ? (relax have a home brew, done)

Get off my porch

Prince of Fatness

(yes still the kit, partial mash) IPA or Steam

Trent is going to throw a fit.

Not at it at all.