Drinkers with a Running Problem

Flavored simple syrup (Read 477 times)

Jazz hands!

I made ginger-flavored simple syrup the other night and it's pretty good. Can't wait to get some mint (and also rum? I don't know if we've got any) to make mojitos with it.

Anyone else made other flavors? What's good in this stuff?

run run run AHHHHHH run run run
    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Recipe?

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Queen of 3rd Place

Never heard of that, what a good idea!

When you get your mint, stick a sprig in some water for a few days, then in a pot. You'll be surprised how many things it's good for. Well. Mostly mojitos.

Ex runner

Jazz hands!

Recipe:

equal parts of water and white sugar

slice up a bunch of ginger

put it all in one pot

boil

let sit around for a day or so

strain into container

Not terribly fancy, but it made a pretty decent ginger mojito Friday night.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Not terribly fancy, but it made a pretty decent ginger mojito Friday night.

Recipe (in addition to the aforementioned simple sugar)?

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

This is similar to Thai ginger tea, but with that the sugar concentration is much lower and you can drink it straight (or spiked).  1-2 tbs sugar per cup of water, simmered with sliced ginger.

A buddy just made a ginger infused vodka (sliced ginger added to vodka, stored for a month, then strained).  It was killer good in a traditional ginger ale over rocks.  Dude.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

A buddy just made a ginger infused vodka (sliced ginger added to vodka, stored for a month, then strained).  It was killer good in a traditional ginger ale over rocks.  Dude.

Oh, yum...and that would settle an upset tummy, too! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Jazz hands!

Recipe (in addition to the aforementioned simple sugar)?

A real Mojito is (I think) 1.5 oz rum, 1oz simple syrup muddled with mint, topped off with seltzer. However the lazy fairy struck last week and I just went 1:1:fill 'er with fizzy water (no mint). Which was also good.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

A real Mojito is (I think) 1.5 oz rum, 1oz simple syrup muddled with mint, topped off with seltzer.

You forgot the lime.  The way we've done Mojitos lately is kind of cheating...rum, lime, 7-Up, mint, a dash of Angostura (the Angostura was part of the Mojito recipe that DH's cousin brought back with her from Cuba...before Mojitos became trendy in the US).  The recipe she brought back didn't use 7-Up, but instead used club soda and sugar.

~ Sarah Kay

Jazz hands!

Right, the important part.

A word of recommendation: flavored syrups go in the fridge because with the extra stuff in there they get moldy, and then when you're really excited one afternon about making a ginger sour which is gonna be SO AWESOME there will be a big green thing floating in your lovingly-made hand-crafted simple syrup and you will have to pitch it and then you'll cry and cry.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh noes!!!  Though I guess the mold thing isn't too surprising.  REAL maple syrup has to be refrigerated, too.

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

No worries.  The alcohol should kill off anything bad.

Jazz hands!

No worries.  The alcohol should kill off anything bad.

If my dear darling boyfriend hadn't been in the room I totally would have fished it out, cleaned the nozzle and gone ahead with the plan, but I can be really gross. He'll never know about the time I made pumpkin cookies with leftover (previously canned) pumpkin in the fridge and had to remove some mold. It got baked! It was fine!

You guys are never gonna eat at my house now.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Pumpkin cookies.  

Mmmm...

Jazz hands!

Pumpkin cookies with cream cheese frosting. They're really good.