Drinkers with a Running Problem

Home Brewers... (Read 1606 times)

Prince of Fatness

WhoDat, once we get through C-R's beer class, we should think about the next step.  I will not have time in the foreseeable future to make the jump into beermaking on my own, both due to the research on how to do it right and getting all of the equipment together.

Just reading this post now.  To get it right the biggies for me are keeping the recipes simple and hitting the temperatures (not anal with it but be in the ballpark) for the mash and for fermenting.  For equipment get food grade buckets for free at a bakery (ask), or Lowes sells them for not much.  Go to a LHBS for a bucket lid.  Get a good 5 - 6 gallon stainless kettle (your most expensive purchase).  And Lowes also has paint strainer bags.  With that you can brew a case of beer right in your kitchen (caveat your stove needs to be able to bring about 4 1/2 gallons to a rolling boil).  LHBS will crush your grains for you,  Wort chiller not needed.  Either do an ice bath in the sink like me or just let it chill overnight and pitch yeast the next day as Trent does.  It still amazes me how easy it is to brew good beer.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

That's true. GFJ gets its grapefruit flavors just from the hops rather than any zest. I don't know what hops GFJ uses, so it may not even use citra hops.

Is it maybe like a Zombie Dust with a grapefruit kicker? Lots of citra in ZD.

If not Citra I'm sure GFJ uses hops such as Cascade, Centennial, Simcoe..

Been a while since I had a Zombie Dust but my beer does have the Citra hop flavor.  Really got to wait until it carbs up before doing the final evaluation.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

I know what my next one is.  It's a coffee beer taking ideas from a couple of coffee beers that I have tried recently and really enjoyed.

The first is Carton Regular Coffee.  This is an imperial cream ale (12%) with coffee.  They wanted it to taste like a cup of regular coffee and I'll be damned if it doesn't.  So I will start with a big cream ale (7 - 8%).  What I don't want is the sweetness that the Carton has, so I will mash low in order for this thing to ferment dry.  This is also where the next beer comes in.  Southern Tier 2xPresso.  They added lemon and I really like what that did to the beer.  So I will add some lemon zest with the coffee.  For coffee I will use lighter roast.  Need to go to the roaster and find something.  Should be interesting.

I am brewing this tomorrow night.  I got some coffee from a local roaster and will cold brew it this evening.  Coffee and lemon zest will be added at flame out.   Thinking Double Vienna Cream Ale as the base beer.

Not at it at all. 

Not_Race_Coach

'15 Forumite of the Year

I am brewing this tomorrow night.  I got some coffee from a local roaster and will cold brew it this evening.  Coffee and lemon zest will be added at flame out.   Thinking Double Vienna Cream Ale as the base beer.

cool.

I have the day off today, so if I get the motivation to drive 5 mins to LHBS I may start a sour wort for a berliner weiss.  I need something low abv and refreshing in the kegs for spring.

...this post has been brought to you by gossip websites and whiskey.

Prince of Fatness

Need to think about doing a sour one of these days.  Berliner seems to be a good pick for a first stab at it.

Not at it at all. 

Not_Race_Coach

'15 Forumite of the Year

Need to think about doing a sour one of these days.  Berliner seems to be a good pick for a first stab at it.

For home brews, I have an oud bruin and a wild ale hanging out around the house.  The flanders probably needs at least 6 more months.  I have no idea when the wild will be ready.  Looking at the carboys daily makes me want something tart now.

Commercially, our summer seasonal will be a peach wheat done with a sour mash (it is technically a berliner, but I am not sure how the label will describe the style... can't scare off the Kroger customers!).  15bbl test batch will be brewed next week and I am excited!

...this post has been brought to you by gossip websites and whiskey.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Berliners seem to be an entry sour for loads of folks

Feeling the growl again

Just reading this post now.  To get it right the biggies for me are keeping the recipes simple and hitting the temperatures (not anal with it but be in the ballpark) for the mash and for fermenting.  For equipment get food grade buckets for free at a bakery (ask), or Lowes sells them for not much.  Go to a LHBS for a bucket lid.  Get a good 5 - 6 gallon stainless kettle (your most expensive purchase).  And Lowes also has paint strainer bags.  With that you can brew a case of beer right in your kitchen (caveat your stove needs to be able to bring about 4 1/2 gallons to a rolling boil).  LHBS will crush your grains for you,  Wort chiller not needed.  Either do an ice bath in the sink like me or just let it chill overnight and pitch yeast the next day as Trent does.  It still amazes me how easy it is to brew good beer.

I've got a turkey fryer, that should work well and save the stove.  The whole temp thing, yeah, would need to set some stuff up for that.

Given I can't even find time to run anymore, my beer making career moves further and further away.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

I've got a turkey fryer, that should work well and save the stove.  The whole temp thing, yeah, would need to set some stuff up for that.

Given I can't even find time to run anymore, my beer making career moves further and further away.

For fermenting you just pick the right place in the house depending on the time of the year and maybe only work with certain yeast strains at the right time of the year. I don't have any special setup for temperature control.

Anyway don't worry. I'll send you more home brew.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

For fermenting you just pick the right place in the house depending on the time of the year and maybe only work with certain yeast strains at the right time of the year. I don't have any special setup for temperature control.

Anyway don't worry. I'll send you more home brew.

Temp control I have.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

Coffee is steeping.  Damn it smells good.  Also brewed a pot of it this morning and had a cup on the way to work.  Tasty.

Atypical Coffee Beer

5.5 lbs Vienna Malt

2.0 lbs Flaked Maize

Hops all Willamette (4.8% AA)

.50 oz 60 mins

.50 oz 45 mins

A day before steep 1/4 lb of coffee in a pint or so of water.  Strain and add coffee at flame out.

Zest three lemons and add at flame out.

Safale US-05 dry yeast.

Mash 149 for an hour.  Boil an hour, chill, and pitch yeast. Bottle after 3 weeks or so.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Done and cleaned up. OG 1.070. More lemon than coffee in the sample. We'll see. I think that it will be a good beer.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Grapefruit Citra IPA

Drank my first bottle of this yesterday.  I must say, if I had to do it again I don't think that I would change anything.  It's quite tasty.

Not at it at all. 

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Drank my first bottle of this yesterday.  I must say, if I had to do it again I don't think that I would change anything.  It's quite tasty.

I liked it, but there was a bit of underlying sweetness that kept me from really liking it.

I really do appreciate getting to try these.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Prince of Fatness

I liked it, but there was a bit of underlying sweetness that kept me from really liking it.

I really do appreciate getting to try these.

Not sure what that would be from. It fermented down plenty and there were enough bittering hops in there. Maybe the zest adds that impression. I'll pay more attention next bottle but it was just right for my taste.

Not at it at all.