Drinkers with a Running Problem

Can't wait until Wednesday! (Read 540 times)

Wednesday marks the bottling day of my first batch of homemade wine!  My husband & I bought the equipment and the first wine making kit for me for Christmas.  I say it will cut down on the cost of my drinking, he says I'll just drink more.  It all comes out in the wash, I say!

My first batch had to be something sweeter that my mom would drink since she paid for half of the first kit.  This one is a Mango Mint Chenin Blanc.  A running friend of mine owns the store that sells the equipment (what, more runners that drink??), and they happened to have a bottle on hand so I was able to sample it before I bought the kit.  Light, slightly fruity & sweet.  More a summer wine, but mom will like it.  They have a great limited edition wine kit in stock now, but it is much pricier.  If I can find a few people that like a semi-dry leaning towards dry white wine, I'll talk them into going in with me so I can make that one.

I am amazed at how easy the process is.  The first step took maybe 30 minutes and that was only because I had to assemble a couple things and figure out what things were.  The second step was maybe 25 minutes.  And I'm told bottling doesn't take very long either.  I should have between 25-30 bottles provided I don't have any accidental spills.  I think I'll scrub the floors prior in case I need to grab a straw & drink the mistakes!  Smile

Oh, and by the way, I need a name for my new "winery".  Any creative ideas?  My last name is Petersheim which just isn't working for me...no one can pronounce it or spell it correctly. 

So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
      And I'm going to insert a shameless little plug here for my friends.  If you don't have a good supplier for beer and wine making supplies or coffee roasting supplies, I recommend them.  They are great people, great runners and have an on-line store.  I run regularly with both of them...they are faster than me & often make me suffer, but it is a good kind of torture!

www.brewgadgets.com

Former runner

I started experimenting with homebrewing last March. It's a bit more involved than the wine but still fun. Once you get something in the bottle it's hard to wait until it ready to be sampled. How long do you need to age the wine once its in the bottle?

If your wine kit is anything like my beer kit you'll want to plan on some spillage when bottling. Especially if you're drinking while bottling.  Getting that filling wand into the bottle isn't as easy as it looks and the valve is a bit sensitive to being bumped. I usually do my filling somewhere I'm not worried about some spillage.

Ross

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If I can find a few people that like a semi-dry leaning towards dry white wine, I'll talk them into going in with me so I can make that one.

Hmmm...I wonder who you know who likes semi-dry/dry whites...hmmm...

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

The voice of mile 18

that's sooo cool. have a drink on me

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Will you be corking?
                Will you be corking?

Yes, the corker came with the kit.  Please tell me isn't something that I will cause bodily injury to myself doing?!  It looks like a fairly simple tool, but my husband will tell you I could injure myself with a butter knife.  Smile

Once you get something in the bottle it's hard to wait until it ready to be sampled. How long do you need to age the wine once its in the bottle?

This stuff is a fairly sweet wine that doesn't require much aging at all.  They say it is best to leave it for a few weeks but that it won't be bad at all if you drink some right away. 

If your wine kit is anything like my beer kit you'll want to plan on some spillage when bottling. Especially if you're drinking while bottling.  Getting that filling wand into the bottle isn't as easy as it looks and the valve is a bit sensitive to being bumped. I usually do my filling somewhere I'm not worried about some spillage.

My friends warned me about the potential bottling mess.  I have the option of transferring it from the carboy back to the fermenting bucket then using the spigot on the bucket, but I think that sounds like even more work.  Do you think it is easier to do with two people or will I be okay on my own?  Just wondering if I should call in the reserves tomorrow?  Smile

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yes, the corker came with the kit.  Please tell me isn't something that I will cause bodily injury to myself doing?!  It looks like a fairly simple tool, but my husband will tell you I could injure myself with a butter knife.  Smile

Corking is a bear if you have the wrong kind.  Do you have a picture of it?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Use a siphon for bottling.  Much easier and fewer bubbles than any other method.  I always have towels down and work with somebody else.  One person controls the siphon tip and the other always has the next bottle ready to go.

Corking is a bear if you have the wrong kind.  Do you have a picture of it?

http://brewgadgets.com/wine/winebottlingsupplies.htm

It is the Portuguese double lever corker most of the way down on the page.  

Use a siphon for bottling.  Much easier and fewer bubbles than any other method.  I always have towels down and work with somebody else.  One person controls the siphon tip and the other always has the next bottle ready to go.

Thanks for the advice.  I'm going to get more bottles today & I'll put my hubby to work tonight.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

http://brewgadgets.com/wine/winebottlingsupplies.htm

It is the Portuguese double lever corker most of the way down on the page.  

Bad.

Those suck.

You will break your hand and most of the corks.  You need one that compresses the corks laterally intead of from the end, like this:

So does the Portugese stand one just under mine work better?  I only have one store in the area & I'm supposed to bottle today, so if Ed doesn't have it, I don't get to use it for this first round.

MTA:  The stand one appears to only have one handle like the one you showed me, but I don't know if it works the same.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The stand up one also compresses laterally, so it is good.  They are generally very good, but more expensive.