Drinkers with a Running Problem

Home Brewers... (Read 1606 times)

Prince of Fatness

This has been bubbling away since Sunday morning.  The bad news is that my OG was a bit lower than expected.  When I was emptying the grains from the cooler I noticed a lot of liquid at the bottom.  It did not stick, as I got the expected volume from each sparge.  I think that the braid is messed up a bit.  It looks beat up.  Pisses me off as it is relatively new.  I hit my temperature fine and the grains seemed to be stirred in well enough.  I'll get a new braid for next time.  The good news is that the sample tasted fantastic.  I really like the combination of spices.

Bottled the Spiced Dubbel Trouble up last week, It fermented down quite a bit, enough that the ABV comes in around 8%.  The sample did not taste overly dry however, and I really like the combination of spices.  I got a six pack more than expected so it appears that I overshot the volume a bit.  This would explain at least in part the lower OG reading.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Dunkelweizen  - 11 qts

Also bottled this up last week.  Its OK.  I just cannot seem to coax much in the way of yeast flavor in any weizen that I have brewed.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

So all of my bottling is out of the way.  I am in a holding pattern as my kitchen is being redone and is all apart now.  My downstairs is all hardwood floors and the kitchen floors were refinished late last week.  Since we are trying to stay off of the floor as much as possible it is doubtful that I'll be able to brew until about mid August.  The saving grace of having the floors redone is that the guy was able to do half at a time, which meant that we did not have to move anything real heavy out of the house or up and down any stairs.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Ended up with 12 gallons split into two buckets; this was the 4 gallon starter and the 8 gallon 1.080 half-biscuit/half-wheat wort. Wheat has a load of protein. Protein makes foam...

The black lid on this one fits VERY tight, and I can barely remove it with supreme effort. Morning after I pitched, I found the top across the room, foam everywhere and the O ring from the lid across the room in a different direction. I added a blowoff tube, but that did not work. So I ended up rigging a flap to let out the foam and flap down when things calmed.

Added sorghum last night once things calmed down.

mash with the biscuit in it, too...

Prince of Fatness

The black lid on this one fits VERY tight, and I can barely remove it with supreme effort.

Not at it at all. 

Not_Race_Coach

'15 Forumite of the Year

best money I ever spent on brewing gear.

...this post has been brought to you by gossip websites and whiskey.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Heh. I just use the pressure from over-vigorous krauzen

Prince of Fatness

My cabinets are all being replaced tomorrow so I will have no sink for at least a week.  I needed to get a brew in so I did it last night,

Potato Cream Ale 2015 (11 qts)

3 lbs US 2 Row Malt

.5 lb Vienna Malt

1.5 lbs grated potatoes (fresh from my garden)

Hops

.5 oz Mt Hood (5.8%AA) 60 mins

Wyeast 1272 American Ale II yeast, no starter.

Mash 149 for an hour.  Boil an hour, chill, and pitch yeast.

OG ended up at 1.040.

This should be a nice light easy drinker.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

I have not tasted anything you made which was NOT easy drinking.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

tim uf

Upgraded: Sort of Broken

My cabinets are all being replaced tomorrow so I will have no sink for at least a week.  I needed to get a brew in so I did it last night,

Potato Cream Ale 2015 (11 qts)

3 lbs US 2 Row Malt

.5 lb Vienna Malt

1.5 lbs grated potatoes (fresh from my garden)

Hops

.5 oz Mt Hood (5.8%AA) 60 mins

Wyeast 1272 American Ale II yeast, no starter.

Mash 149 for an hour.  Boil an hour, chill, and pitch yeast.

OG ended up at 1.040.

did the purple from the potatoes come through to the wort ?

Chill, be mellow, and be in a mood for embracing the sun.

"ooohhh, what is the malted liquor, what gets you drunker quicker,
                      what comes in bottles or in cans?
                      BEER!"

Prince of Fatness

did the purple from the potatoes come through to the wort ?

Not really.  Whatever color they have does leech into the wort because when I am done with the mash the grated potatoes are colorless.  There is just too much liquid for the potatoes to have any influence on the color.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Spiced Dubbel Trouble

Took my first taste of this over the weekend and am really pleased how this one came out.  Nice holiday beer.

Potato Cream Ale 2015

Bottled this last night.  No frills, sessionable beer at 4.2%.

I am at the home stretch with all of the kitchen work being done, so hoping to get the brewing going again.  I have a couple of ideas for the near future.

Not at it at all. 

tim uf

Upgraded: Sort of Broken

Took my first taste of this over the weekend and am really pleased how this one came out.  Nice holiday beer.

Bottled this last night.  No frills, sessionable beer at 4.2%.

I am at the home stretch with all of the kitchen work being done, so hoping to get the brewing going again.  I have a couple of ideas for the near future.

I was reading a quick article on roasting veggies a couple evenings ago, and the author's description of what he does with sweet potatoes made me think of the potato cream ale (and beer making in general).

Chill, be mellow, and be in a mood for embracing the sun.

"ooohhh, what is the malted liquor, what gets you drunker quicker,
                            what comes in bottles or in cans?
                            BEER!"

Prince of Fatness

I was reading a quick article on roasting veggies a couple evenings ago, and the author's description of what he does with sweet potatoes made me think of the potato cream ale (and beer making in general).

Timely that you post this.  Next weekend I am brewing an English Bitter and plan to add some roasted sweet potatoes.  I have had a few beers with sweet potatoes and have struggled to taste them.  I'm thinking that if you simply grate them and add them to the mash you won't get much flavor out of them so that is why I am going with roasting.  The idea of converting the sweet potatoes prior to roasting is intriguing.  Was thinking of pureeing the roasted sweet potatoes and adding it to the mash.  That's what I'll do.

I also read the part on roasting regular potatoes.  Boil with a little vinegar then roast.  Hmm.  I have some fresh spuds that I just dug up last weekend.  May have to give that a shot this weekend.

Not at it at all.