Drinkers with a Running Problem

Can't wait until Wednesday! (Read 540 times)

Can I pick your brains again about the bottling process.  My wine is currently in the glass carboy & there is sediment in the bottom.  Should I bottle from the carboy or should I siphon back to the fermenting bucket to bottle (the directions say both are an option).  I'm assuming I want to avoid the sediment?  If I am siphoning, as you recommended, Trent, is it safe to assume that I do not want to use the filling wand thing with the little tip you have to press down on?

Sorry for all the questions...this is my first rodeo!  Smile

So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
      And one more question.  Can I run my bottles through my dishwasher on hi-temp or do I want to use the sterilizing solution?  Is there a quick & easy way to sterilize 30 bottles?
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Folks freak out about sterilization.  I don't.  We have made wine for millennia without sterilization solutions.  The risk is that you may lose a bottle to it going bad, but this is uncommon.  Ain't nothing dangerous gonna grow in wine.  So I usually use hot hot water from my tap.

I use a regular siphon.  I do not use a fancy nose on it.

When doing wine, I usually siphon it off the lees into a clean carboy using a J shaped tobe with the opening just off the lees. I then bottle from the second carboy.  When making beer or sparking wine, I bottle straight from the first carboy since some of the lees need to go into the bottle.

I do not  every filter my wine.  I don't mind some yeast.

Understand that I prefer a hands off approach.  Others tend to science it up and folow every step in the book in a meticulous and scientific way.  Different strokes.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Folks freak out about sterilization.  I don't.  We have made wine for millennia without sterilization solutions.  The risk is that you may lose a bottle to it going bad, but this is uncommon.  Ain't nothing dangerous gonna grow in wine.  So I usually use hot hot water from my tap.

I never sterilized baby bottles or pacifiers, either.  I have a kid who hasn't once been on antibiotics or had an ear infection (he will be 9 in less than a month).  I think this has to be in large part due to the "dirt" we have always encouraged his system to be familiar with.

I'm not into sterilizing stuff I make yogurt with, either, even though it's often recommended.  Have only had one batch not work, but I think my starter was dead.

Do you have to be more careful with beer making and contamination issues?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I think I'm more into your idea of wine making, Trent.  Since I had never done it before, I followed all the directions for the first two steps, but I can see myself saying screw the sterilizing for the next batches!

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate your help.  Drop me an email with your address & I'll send you a bottle of wine if you'd like!  Smile

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Drop me an email with your address & I'll send you a bottle of wine if you'd like!  Smile

Gah, I can't edit the OP without the formatting messing up... *does not always like the fancy text editor*

She promises she won't sign you up for junk mail...

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

No.  Less so.  Remember, back in the day, turning things into alcohol was the main way to prevent spoilage.

Contamination would cause milk to sour and clot like yogurt, not prevent it.  Your starter was dead.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

No.  Less so.  Remember, back in the day, turning things into alcohol was the main way to prevent spoilage.

Contamination would cause milk to sour and clot like yogurt, not prevent it.  Your starter was dead.

Yeah, I thought it must have been a dead starter.  Was pretty sad to expect yogurt and just get soupy mess.

So many of my favorite foods are things that were originally processed as a means to stay fresh longer...beer, wine, cheese, bacon, jerky, pickled herring...mmmm....

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

BTW, I don't think of it as yogurt starter.  i think of it as old yogurt.  You didn't buy some special starter junk did you?  Just use whatever your favorite live culture yogurt from the store is.
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

BTW, I don't think of it as yogurt starter.  i think of it as old yogurt.  You didn't buy some special starter junk did you?  Just use whatever your favorite live culture yogurt from the store is.

Nope.  Just a glob of plain yogurt (usually regular Dannon).  I'm guessing "starter" would cost a fortune.

~ Sarah Kay

Bottling done!!  I got a full 30 bottles.  Ok, actually 29 because we drank one while bottling.  It went off like a charm.  Maybe there was one little fight between DH & I on how we were going to do it.  We had another couple over & we made it a 4 person smooth flowing job.  Dana & I bottled, Dan & Darin corked.  We drank while we bottled.  Life is good!

Next batch starts tomorrow or Friday.  Gewurztraminer this time.  Argentine Trio next time.  I love this!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

How did the corker work?
                            How did the corker work?

The corker worked fine, but mainly because I wasn't working it!  I think I would have struggled with it.  DH seemed to do ok.  His buddy held the bottle in place, Dan operated the corker.  Had I been corking, it would have been a disaster!  I am going to save my pennies for a better one.

Former runner

On my first few batches I scrubbed the insides of the bottles with a brush and sterilized them. Now I just give them a good rinse when I empty them to remove the sediment. When making beer the time to pay attention to sanitation is after the boil and before the primary fermentation has taken off. If you pitch the yeast at the right amount it will take off and reproduce faster than the bacteria. I've had one contaminated batch. It was a bit sour but I still drank them all.

Ross

On my first few batches I scrubbed the insides of the bottles with a brush and sterilized them. Now I just give them a good rinse when I empty them to remove the sediment. When making beer the time to pay attention to sanitation is after the boil and before the primary fermentation has taken off. If you pitch the yeast at the right amount it will take off and reproduce faster than the bacteria. I've had one contaminated batch. It was a bit sour but I still drank them all.

We can't let a little sourness stop us from drinking, now can we?!  Smile