Drinkers with a Running Problem

Home Brewers... (Read 1606 times)

Feeling the growl again

Sounds good indeed.  Oatmeal stouts...if done right...are right up there with brown ales and Belgians for me.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

Curious about why you added the molasses at the end of the boil.  My next brew will be a strong ale that will include some sorghum and molasses.  I suppose I hadn't thought of when to add those to the boil.

To be honest I am not sure that it matters all that much when you add it.  I added it with 10 minutes left.  That made sure that I had time to stir it in and get it blended in with the rest of the wort.  It took a little time to get all of the molasses in there.  I used a pyrex measuring cup and kept dipping and pouring until all of the molasses ran out of the cup.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The Vanderbilt Fermentation Club came by last night and we made this:

Rye Pale Ale 5.5 gallon batch:
        7lb 8oz American Two-row Pale
        1lb 8oz Rye, Flaked
        1lb Rye Malt
        1lb CaraVienne
        SG 1.054, FG 1.013

Heat just under 4.25 gallons of water to 166 F to mash in and reach 154 for 60 min. Mash out at 175 for ten minutes. Sparge to about 6.4 gallons or so. Add a half lb of rice hulls to keep the sparge from sticking, go slow, it will take a while. You want 5.5 in the end, and and the important hop additions here are right at the end so just keep boiling if it's too much or add back. You don't need more than a 70 min. boil.

.65 oz Citra (12 AA) at 55 min.
        .65 oz Nelson Sauvin at 5 min.
        .65 oz Nelson Sauvin at flame out

Doubled the recipe then cut in half into two fermenters. Will ferment one with a basic Pale yeast, the other with a Brett Saison mix. The Brett Saison batch may also get some candy sugar and/or apricots.

gusgordon

My Belgian with the elderberries turned out damn good!  I had to sneak a taste tonight, just over a week since bottling.  It could use some more time, but already the carbonation level is excellent and the flavor is pretty complex and satisfying.  It's a very drinkable beer.  The Belgian yeast notes are prominent, and complemented by the very, very subtle elderberry flavor.  Not particularly hoppy.  I would guess it clocks in at around just around 5% ABV.

Prince of Fatness

I bottled a 2 Row / Columbus SMaSH yesterday.  I am using this combination to try out hops.  So far I have done Amarillo, Citra, and now Columbus.  They were all good.   From the sample, Columbus has a "dank" characteristic that I like.  Tasted real good.  I have a couple of ounces of Sorachi Ace hops waiting in the wings for the next SMaSH that I do.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Rye Pale Ale 5.5 gallon batch:

7lb 8oz American Two-row Pale
              1lb 8oz Rye, Flaked
              1lb Rye Malt
              1lb CaraVienne
              SG 1.054, FG 1.013

Let me know how this turns out as I am planning on brewing a Rye IPA this summer and the grain bill will be very similar.  I am especially curious how much the rye comes out in this.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

I got some Galaxy hops that I am excited to use.  I want a hoppy beer but I am also thinking wheat.  So my next beer that I will brew soon will be....

Galaxy Wheat - 11 quarts

3 1/2 lbs US 2 Row

2 lb Wheat malt

1/2 lb Flaked rye

1/4 lb CaraRye

Galaxy hops 14% AA - times added

1/4 oz first wort

1/4 oz 60 min

1/4 oz 15 min

1/4 oz 10 min

1/4 oz 5 min

3/4 oz flameout

One smack pack Wyeast  2565 (Kolsch)

Not at it at all. 

Anyone here make up beer labels? If so what are you using, I use  http://www.beerlabelizer.com/

Just ordered a Cream Ale from Northern  Brewer today, need something that will be completely ready to drink and light and I brew extract and bottle, there Cream Ale is decent and it can be ready in 4 weeks, why not.  Running my first full marathon May 5th, (NJ Marathon) and wanted a brew to celebrate, just made the label over there, nice site, and free.

Twentysix 2

Prince of Fatness

I don't do labels because then I would need to take them off to reuse the bottles.  I just write the batch # on the cap with a sharpie.

I like the idea of labels, tho.  My daughter is having a baby in June and my son in law and I are going to brew a milk stout (Mother's Milk Stout, heh) to give as gifts instead of cigars.  In stead of labels my wife will make cards which we will attach with ribbon around the neck of the bottle.  I will post a picture when we do it, a couple of months.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Anyone here make up beer labels? If so what are you using, I use  http://www.beerlabelizer.com/

I make them for wine...I will need to take a look at the site, thanks.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Prince of Fatness

I got some Galaxy hops that I am excited to use.  I want a hoppy beer but I am also thinking wheat.  So my next beer that I will brew soon will be....

Brewed this up this evening.  Damn those Galaxy hops smelled good.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Brewed this up this evening.  Damn those Galaxy hops smelled good.

Box it and ship it here.

Prince of Fatness

Box it and ship it here.

You come and visit and you can have all that you can drink.

Touche.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

You come and visit and you can have all that you can drink.

Touche.

I've been trying, dangit.  With organizational changes and travel budget reductions, the chances of me getting close to you on the company dime have decreased substantially.

Looking for a good pale ale recipe, extract partial boil, anyone have anything to share? Looking at HBT recipe db also..