Drinkers with a Running Problem

Home Brewers... (Read 1606 times)

Prince of Fatness

I drank this recently... bring batch 2!

I have two bombers of it left.  One will be shared tomorrow at the brew.  Seems appropriate.

Not at it at all. 

tim uf

Upgraded: Sort of Broken

The issue is not about whether there is debate or about whether or not to try it home. The issue is about whether you sour The entire volume or just a small portion. Every commercial and homebrew version that I'm aware of sours the entire  Wort.

not all. New Belgium is one brewery that blends quite a few of their beers with acidified and non acid worts. Snapshot for sure is blended. I think La Folie is the same lacto culture, so is transatlantique...

i don't know if you covered it. but when doing the lacto beer starter or acidification, one lesson we learned is to purge the fermentation vessel with CO2. or the oxygen you leave an aroma more akin to funky parmesan. The beer itself was quite tart and tasted fine, under that aroma. You can "purge" with CO2 by pouring in seltzer water with before lidding the vessel.

Chill, be mellow, and be in a mood for embracing the sun.

"ooohhh, what is the malted liquor, what gets you drunker quicker,
      what comes in bottles or in cans?
      BEER!"

tim uf

To try something different and see for myself how it works.  Worst case I have a batch of beer that I am not all that happy with.  I have had some of the commercial examples that use this method and the beers aren't bad.  Besides, when there is a debate such as this there is no better way to form an opinion than to try both methods and see for yourself.

$179, LOL.  I'll pass on that.  My whole kitchen brewing set up cost less than half of that.

Like I said I am not diving into sours any time soon.  Just thought that the article was interesting.  When the time comes that I do brew a sour I will do a little research and take it from there.  I am not married to one particular way of doing it at this time.

i have an Anova. It can make a damn good steak, pork chop, fish filet, chicken breast. too. Set it and forget it.

since i have it, i've thought a lot about using it to hit temps for my sparge water, and i've seen people that do brew in a bag and use the anova to maintain mash temps directly circulating their mash fluid (takes a pretty wet mash to do this, i imagine).

I don't think i'll go that far, since cleaning the wort off the thing seems like it'd be a pain in the ass.

BEER!"

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

New Belgium does not kettle sour.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

...and Transatlantique sucks.

The point is that kettle soured beers are generally not blended, especially not 1:4, with a standard wort. That would totally dilute the sour away. They are generally used in full.

tim uf

New Belgium does not kettle sour.

no, they just have a sour wort culture that is  pre-sour before the boil. from the production standpoint kettle souring sucks because it ties up the kettle.

to me, the timing of the souring is the key: Mash, pre-boil, post boil

BEER!"

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Semantics

To be more precise: NBB does it souring in a traditional, post-boil fashion.

Prince of Fatness

Spiced Dubbel Trouble

This has been bubbling away since Sunday morning.  The bad news is that my OG was a bit lower than expected.  When I was emptying the grains from the cooler I noticed a lot of liquid at the bottom.  It did not stick, as I got the expected volume from each sparge.  I think that the braid is messed up a bit.  It looks beat up.  Pisses me off as it is relatively new.  I hit my temperature fine and the grains seemed to be stirred in well enough.  I'll get a new braid for next time.  The good news is that the sample tasted fantastic.  I really like the combination of spices.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

So this coming Saturday marks the 5th anniversary of this, my first batch of beer.  I guess that I am no longer a newb.  Gonna have to drink a homebrew to celebrate.

Had plans on doing this soon but it got moved today because it is a washout outside.  My first batch of beer was in 2011, a Dunkelweizen kit from my LHBS.  To celebrate 5 years of home brewing I have converted the recipe to all grain.

Dunkelweizen  - 11 qts

3 lb Wheat Malt

1.25 lb US 2 Row

1 lb Light Munich

.25 lb CaraWheat

.125 lb Dehusked Carafa III

Hops

.25 oz Sterling 8% AA (60 min)

Wyeast 3056 Bavarian Wheat Blend (no starter)

Mash 152 degrees for 60 minutes.  Sparge, then boil 60 minutes.  Chill and pitch yeast.  Ferment 3+ weeks then bottle.  Ferment warm.

Not at it at all. 

tim uf

Whats the srm of the light munich malt?

BEER!"

Prince of Fatness

Whats the srm of the light munich malt?

Usually about 7 - 10. SMaSH brews that I have done with it have been darker than a normal pale but not much.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

So I have a 10 gal sorghum whiskey (rum??) barrel that I need to fill. Planned on this -

Sorghum Wheat Wine

(modified from: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=117610)

Grain Bill:
                          - 8 lbs Red Wheat Malt
                          - 8 lbs White Wheat Malt
                          - 10 lbs Biscuit Malt
                          - 7 lbs Pilsen malt
                          - 1 lbs Caramel Wheat
                          - 1 lbs Honey Malt
                          Total = 35 lbs

Hops / Adjuncts Bill:
                          - 2.5 oz Northern Brewer [9.30 %] (60 min) 41.5 IBU
                          - 1.5 oz Magnum [11.50 %] (60 min) 30.8 IBU
                          - 4.0 oz Fuggles [3.50 %] (30 min) 12.8 IBU
                          - 3.0 oz Fuggles [3.50 %] (5 min)
                          - 2 lbs dark Sorghum

Yeast:
                          - Dry English Ale (WLP007)

Targets:
                          - OG - 1.107
                          - FG - 1.027
                          - ABV - 10.49
                          - SRM - 17.7

Mash (from recipe link):
                          - Protein Rest: Added 12 qt of water at 145°F (122°F for 30 min)
                          - Saccharification: Added 16 qt of water at 190°F (150°F for 90 min)
                          - Used LOTS of rice hulls.

My mash math:
                          (Strike Water Temperature Tw = (.2/R)(T2 - T1) + T2; r is ratio of water to grain in quarts/lb)
                          (Step infusion volume of boiling water Wa = (T2 - T1)(0.2G + Wm)/(212 - T2))

- Protein Rest: ((0.2/0.5)(122-65) + 122) = 145°F (17.5 quarts)
                          - Saccharification: (150 - 122)(0.2*35 + 17.5)/(212 - 150) = 11.5 quarts boiling water
                          -> total 29 quarts = 7.25 gallons

35 lbs grain + 7.25 gallons is way too much for my 10 gal cooler system...so...

Grain Bill part 1:
                          - 7 lbs Pilsen malt
                          - 1 lbs Caramel Wheat
                          - 1 lbs Honey Malt
                          Total = 9 lbs, target 4 gal

Targets:
                          - OG - 1.062
                          - FG - 1.015
                          - ABV - 6.09%

Grain Bill part 2:
                          - 8 lbs Red Wheat Malt
                          - 8 lbs White Wheat Malt
                          - 10 lbs Biscuit Malt
                          Total = 26 lbs, target 7 gal

Targets (s/c sorghum)
                          - OG - 1.104 / 1.117
                          - FG - 1.026 / 1.029
                          - ABV - 10.27% / 11.51%

Combined - ((11.51*7)+(6.09*4))/11 = 9.5%

My math
                          - Strike Water Temperature Tw = (.2/R)(T2 - T1) + T2; r is ratio of water to grain in quarts/lb
                          - Step infusion volume of boiling water Wa = (T2 - T1)(0.2G + Wm)/(212 - T2)

Part 1 —
                          - Protein Rest: ((0.2/1)(122-65) + 122) = 135°F (9 quarts)
                          - Saccharification: ((150-122)(0.2*9 + 9))/(212-150) = 4.8 quarts boiling water

Part 2 -
                          - Protein Rest: ((0.2/1)(122-65) + 122) = 135°F (26 quarts)
                          - Saccharification: ((150-122)((0.2*26 + 26))/(212-150) = 14 quarts boiling water
                          ————————————————————————————————————

July 9, 2015 -
                          - Split wort, batch 1 today. 9 quarts of water heated to 135°F put into pre-warmed tun, added pilsen and honey malt, caramel wheat
                          - Set at 125°F x 30 minutes for protein rest, then added 5 quarts boiling water with temp rising to 145°F
                          - Add another quart water boiled with 1 quart drawn wort, temp ~145°F, so will let at temp a bit longer than 90 minutes.
                          - First runnings at 120 minutes SG 1.065, seemed to stick a bit on the cooler drain
                          - Sparge with 4 quarts at 180°F, with second runnings 1.035 x ~ 3 quarts
                          - Boil with 1.5 oz Magnum x 60 mins
                          - Yield 4 gal @ SG 1.060

July 10, 2015 -
                          - Pitched 2 vials Dry English Ale (WLP007) in AM

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Biscuits with sorghum

tim uf

Trent, who is your brewing supply? Rebel?

I'm curious to hear what you think of the mash with the biscuit in it, too...

BEER!"

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I use a LHBS for 99% of my ingredients. Couple good ones here.

Yes, I'm also curious about what all that biscuit mall Will do, and several others with whom I shared the recipe also wonder.  Jun sexually I like to think of it as a southern biscuit with sorghum on it, but who knows how truly come out. Time will tell.