Drinkers with a Running Problem

Hey, Trent, Globule, and other Mac-philes...(not drinking related) (Read 259 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Lemme pick yer brains.  Last time we upgraded Macs we used the migration assistant, but this time we figured there were enough differences between 10.4 and 10.6 and the processors to do it manually, moving only the things we actually care to have moved.  So far, mostly so good (only have run into a couple of shareware/freeware applications that don't seem to want to work, like Imprint, which doesn't appear to have been updated for 10.6, yet...bummer).

My one big question...how the heck do I get my address book files over?  There doesn't appear to be an obvious way to import or export in bulk.  I did find one exporter program, but no way am I paying for something that should be free to migrate.  Is this something that will require .Mac, perhaps?  I tried moving a library file over, but the current Address book didn't seen to recognize it.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I never use a migration assistant.  I always reinstall everything new; it is more work but is much safer.  To migrate data, look for free third party solutions, such as google.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ok, so that might be an option...but how does it work if a person is using a program to print envelopes in bulk, ie holiday cards and such--I'm not finding any info on that, but I'm not entirely sure where to look (good gawd, Google is so overwhelming with it's eleventy-million new features every week)?  I had been using Imprint, which was really nifty, but it won't work with 10.6, anyhow.

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Just use it to transfer and backup your info.  You can still use the Mac apps for functions like printing.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Just use it to transfer and backup your info.  You can still use the Mac apps for functions like printing.

So I'd still need the Apple address book, in other words.  Ok, that makes more sense.  It's still really whack of Mac (ha, I'm a poet and I didn't know it!) to not make it easier to transfer the address files to a new machine without transferring entire programs.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

What a PITA to get things moved.  did found an exporter utility for mail that could save everything as a CSV file to import to Google...but in the process it took every damned zip code and put it in front of the city.  So I will manually have to fix that.  We were able to get everything into the Address Book application on the new machine, though.  Sure would be nice if Apple had an easier way to do that.  Moving iTunes was simply a matter of moving a few folders...easy peasy.  One would think something as basic as the Address Book would be just as self-explanatory and simple, kind of like copying bookmarks from browser to browser.

~ Sarah Kay