Drinkers with a Running Problem

Home Brewers... (Read 1606 times)

All Seasons, mostly. Did get some stuff from Rebel Brewers in Goodletsville, once. All Seasons has more variety, rebel's had some cool bling, conical fermenter but smaller store front type shop. Appears to be more internet based sales, you can't see the grains they're back in the warehouse.

Have you been to Worms way? Anything else in town that I'm missing?

Get off my porch

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Been a while since I have been to WW.  AS is where I tend to go.  They should also have some good ideas and recipes there.

According to WW website, they do not have any beer supplies? Is that the same business that use to be in Rivergate and has now moved downtown.

Get off my porch

Lazy idiot

I'll probably be bottling on Monday, since I took the day off work.

Bottled my robust porter on 2/16.  Had a buddy over, and we bottled 44 12 oz in about 45 minutes from start to finish (cleaning and all). 

Put two in the fridge on Sunday night (2/27), and had one last night with dinner.  I'm quite pleased with the results.  I mean, I'm sure it's pretty darn difficult to screw up an extract brew.  But never having done it before, it's nice to have some beer with my name on it.

Tick tock

Prince of Fatness

it's nice to have some beer with my name on it.

I like that, too.  Those porters will get even better with age.  You may want to set a case aside and forget about it until next winter.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

I'm happy to have my name on this one.  The wit is good ... tastes true to the style.  13 days in the bottle so it will only get better.  I've got two cases of this stuff.  Cheers!

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Just bottled a pale ale yesterday and it tasted good.  Still experimenting with different styles.  Next up will be a hefewiezen later this month and a rye saison the end of May.  Rye beers are good.

Trent, are you settled into your house enough to do some brewing?

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have a big recertification exam next week and traveled to NYC last week, so I have not had a chance to get through all the boxes.  I need also to get a bit of furniture.  In a few more weeks, I should be ready to roll.

Prince of Fatness

Epic brewday this past weekend.  Over 20+ people.  Washers were pitched out in the front yard.  They cleaned me out of my wit.  Sad  I provide homebrew but in return I get help plus folks bring other beer.  Brew days are fun.

This one is a hefe, and again the blow off tube saved the day.  The temperature got high one day in the room so this one might be a banana cocktail.  Not that that is a bad thing.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

I brewed a rye saison over the weekend and learned a few things.  I played around with the setting on my mill to get a finer crush.  It seemed to work, as I got a better efficiency.  However I was using rye, which has a reputation of making a sticky mess.  The result?  A 3 hour sparge.  I think that I will back off a bit on the setting of my mill.  I'll also add some rice hulls when working with rye.

This week I will bottle the hefe.  I have already baked some bottles, just for Trent.  Then, I need to wait for my potato harvest because my next brew will be a potato beer.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Prince of Fatness

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Ahh yes.  Selective memory.

Prince of Fatness

Chilling - Following the hop boil, the wort is antiseptic (by nature of the heat, of the high sugar and acid concentration and of the hops' antibacterial properties). I usually finish the boil in the evening, pour the wort into my clean, sterilized bucket and put on the top.

I may look into doing some evening brewing, and therefore am thinking of skipping the ice bath and pitching the next morning like you do.  The concept of waiting never worried me I just liked the idea of being done all at one time.

Anyhow, I have one question.  Do wait at all to pour the hot wort into your fermenting bucket?  I just wonder what temperatures the buckets withstand.  I sparge into them ~160 degrees so I know that they can take heat, just not sure that they take 200+ degrees.  How long do you wait, if at all?

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The food grade big plastic bucke I use has never really seemed to have any problems with the hot wort.  I also like the idea of pouring the hot wort in and closing it just to use the heat to kill off any residual contaminants.  So naw, I don't wait.