Drinkers with a Running Problem

I Love My Beer Store! (Read 394 times)

My beer guy has a great selection at all times, so I'm like a kid in a candy store when I go there. The problem in my state (PA) is that beer sales are by the case, so it's hard to sample without potentially wasting money. But... I walk in the other day, and to what do my wondering eyes should appear, but a winter seasonal display, each with 24 different beers! I don't know if this is legal to do, and frankly I don't care! I paid a bit more than I normally would for a case of beer - again, I don't care! Here's the lineup: River Horse Belgian Freeze Winter Ale (Lambertville, NJ) Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale (Chico, CA) Magic Hat Roxy Rolles (Burlington, VT) Allagash Grand Cru (Portland, ME) Summit Winter Ale (St. Paul, MN) Weyerbacher Winter Ale (Easton, PA) Troegs Mad Elf Ale (Harrisburg, PA) Harpoon Winter Warmer (Boston, MA) Bell's Winter White Ale (Comstock, MI) Flying Dog K-9 Cruiser Winter Ale (Denver, CO and Frederick, MD) Long Trail Hibernator (Bridgewater Corners, VT) Stoudts Winter Ale (Adamstown, PA) Snow Cap Seasonal Ale (Pyramid Breweries Seattle, WA and Berkeley, CA) Abita Christmas Ale (Abita Springs, LA) Otter Creek Raspberry Brown Winter Ale (Middleberry, VT) Wild Goose Snow Goose Winter Ale (Frederick, MD) Lagunitas Brown Shugga (Petaluma, CA) Flying Fish Grand Cru Winter Reserve (Cherry Hill, NJ) Smuttynose Winter Ale (Portsmouth, NH) Red Hook Winter Hook Winter Ale (Portsmouth, NH) Broooklyn Brewery Barleywine Style Monster Ale (Utica, NY) Breckinridge Christmas Ale (Denver, CO) Victory "Old Horizontal" Barleywine Style Ale (Downingtown, PA) Lancaster Brewing Co. Winter Warmer Ale (Wilkes-Barre, PA) The tasting starts tonight Cool Any particular suggestions on a good "leadoff beer?" I've had a few of these, but I'd like to hear from some of our resident experts. Sorry Michelle - Miller Lite didn't make the cut this time Big grin

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

That's a great case of beer!
      Flying Dog K-9 Cruiser Winter Ale (Denver, CO and Frederick, MD) Wild Goose Snow Goose Winter Ale (Frederick, MD)
      Frederick is my town. The Wild Goose Brewery used to be the Frederick Brewery, and soon it will be the Flying Dog Brewery. That's right Flying Dog is moving from Denver to Frederick. If you can figure this out, I'd start out with the lighter, less hoppy beer to start, and move gradually darker then hoppier.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Nice! And what a geographic focus!
          That's a great case of beer! Frederick is my town. The Wild Goose Brewery used to be the Frederick Brewery, and soon it will be the Flying Dog Brewery. That's right Flying Dog is moving from Denver to Frederick. If you can figure this out, I'd start out with the lighter, less hoppy beer to start, and move gradually darker then hoppier.
          Thanks for the info. Here's an article about the brewery that may interest you (or it may be old news to you.) http://beeradvocate.com/news/1165718

Gotta love the Beer Store in Ontario, Canada. 325 beer brands from over 70 brewers around the world. The Beer Store
              For the record....I do drink other kinds of beer. When I don't have ML in the house I enjoy my husband's lager. Honestly, I do. Tongue

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I enjoy my husband's lager. Honestly, I do. Tongue
                *must not make dirty joke* Evil grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

*must not make dirty joke* Evil grin
                  Shame on your gutter mind. Tongue

Michelle

I tried one of these tonight.... It was very good!

Michelle

Head Procrastinator

Brooklyn Brewery is in Brooklyn, NY not Utica. I checked cause I knew it but don't like to post something if I am wrong http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/brooklyn-monster-ale/538/ Anyway, I wouldn't like to have to buy a whole case at a time. My local beer store has some great beers but man are they expensive. 2-3 $$ more then what I pay for the same six near Mom's in Delaware. But at least he's got a selection. Last trip I tried Troegs Troeganator Double Bock and Stoudts Double IPA. The Stoudts I can get here too.
                      ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
                        That's an awesome case! I love trying new ones. Last week I was at this place in DC called The Brickskeller which is the Guinness world record holder for "most varieties of beer for sale at a retail establishment". I had an American-made Belgian style that was really great, though I forget which brewery it came from... hmmm. A quick scan of their beer list online shows it was the North Coast Pranqster Belgian Style Ale from CA. Mmmmmm. I also had the Smuttynose IPA which is a good old standby. Love the beer.

sean

Multiple replies here... Antihero - Pranqster is very tasty, I've had it on a couple of occasions. That's one of the beers where the bottle label is almost as entertaining as the beer inside! Smile I haven't been to the Brickskeller, but I have been to it's sister establishment across town on 7th Street, Regional Food and Drink (they share the same website.) You're correct, great variety. Any Smuttynose is always a good "go to" brew. hally - I listed by what was on the bottle label, and I felt funny doing that, because I was 99% sure that Brooklyn Brewery is in Brooklyn. Glad you settled the remaining 1% in my mind! Big grin Troegs and Stoudts both have a number of good offerings. Troegs' Mad Elf Ale is a little different, and you have to be careful, as it rings in at 11% ABV Shocked Michelle - I'm on the work machine, so I can't see your photo. I'll take a look at home. No doubts that you enjoy the variety. Just pullin' the ol' leg. Wink Just saw the photo -Shipyard is a winner - good choice! Happy New Year to all! Jeff

The voice of mile 18

That's an awesome case! I love trying new ones. Last week I was at this place in DC called The Brickskeller which is the Guinness world record holder for "most varieties of beer for sale at a retail establishment". I had an American-made Belgian style that was really great, though I forget which brewery it came from... hmmm. A quick scan of their beer list online shows it was the North Coast Pranqster Belgian Style Ale from CA. Mmmmmm. I also had the Smuttynose IPA which is a good old standby. Love the beer.
                            I think I was there back in my college daze. lots of fun experimenting there some great stuff and some not so great stuff jeff what's your favorite so far?

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Scout7

If you haven't had a chance, you need to try Weyerbacher's Big Beers. Quite tasty.
                                Top five so far... Flying Dog K-9 Cruiser Winter Ale Lancaster Brewing Co. Winter Warmer Ale Weyerbacher Winter Ale Harpoon Winter Warmer Snow Cap Seasonal Ale