Drinkers with a Running Problem

Bestest-ever hurricane recipe (Read 1141 times)

Queen of 3rd Place

For Mardi Gras! I found this recipe yesterday, modified it a bit to suit the realities of our local grocery store, and it seems close to my favorite hurricane, served at Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop in New Orleans: 12 oz dark rum 12 oz light rum 10 oz fresh squeezed orange juice 10 oz fresh squeezed lime juice 5 oz guava juice 5 oz passionfruit juice (I used a blend of passionfruit and acai juice) fine sugar to taste The original recipe called for 10 oz passionfruit rather than my odd mix of guava and passion/acai blend Traditional serving method is optional (tall glass, straw, orange slices, lots of ice...), and of course, you can't have this now if you're observing lent! Maybe next year! Cheers, Arla

Ex runner

The voice of mile 18

with all that juiice it almost looks healthy. I never noticed the guava juice when I had them in the past but could have been copious amount of alcohol and surroudning negotiations with beads

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Take out the orange, guava, passionfruit, and the sugar. Add orgeat syrup and cut up limes and you've got mai tais out the wazoo.

Queen of 3rd Place

True...Many hurricanes aren't made with anything other than passionfruit juice and rum. Unfortunately, most place cheat by using grenadine. That icky nasty thing they make at pat O'Brien's is a sin and disservice to the real deal. Mai tai - mmm - need recipe. I found a recipe for homemade orgeat online, don't have a sense for whether it's any good: http://www.artofdrink.com/2006/02/orgeat-syrup.php Arla

Ex runner

The voice of mile 18

That icky nasty thing they make at pat O'Brien's is a sin and disservice to the real deal.
            but it does have booze so it'll do in a pinch Smile

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy