Guns n Poses

Switching it up for 2014 (Read 13 times)

jeffdonahue

So I have ditched challenges for 2014 but still looking to improve fitness by doing bodyweight exercises.  Instead of the challenges I have challenged myself to do a certain number of some exercises by the end of the year.

50,000 pushups (about 275 every other day)

6,000 pullups (about 30 every other day)

2,000 HS pushups

1,500 minutes of planks

20,000 crunches

I have been doing the pullups and HS pushups in a reverse ladder sort of workout (8-7-6-5-4 for pullups) but only at 3-2-1 for HS pushups (those are hard and actually hurt my wrists a bit so I may try to find another shoulder exercise to substitute)

For the pushups I have been doing "Death by pushups" (1 the first minute, 2 the second minute, 3 the third minute, until you cant complete the required number of pushups.  I can usually get to level 21 or 22 before I am done, but that is over 200 pushups for the workout.

Nice!

I have been trying to figure out what I'm going to do for a workout plan this year - maybe I'll try something like this - except I'll probably need to back off the numbers a bit from what you're doing... Big grin

2014 goals:

1. Run a minimum of 1.5 miles every single day of the year

2. Run 1500 miles in 2014

3. Get my weekly mileage above 40

4. Brown belt in Shaolin Kempo

5. First Half (Oregon Wine Country HM?)

6. PRs: Sub-21 5k, Sub-45 10k, Sub-45 Spartan Sprint, Sub 1:55 HM (Oregon Wine Country HM)

jeffdonahue

Three weeks in and I'm doing okay on this - a little behind on my running mileage though.

To date

2,720 pushups - Goal at this point is 2,877 (and I am due for some more today)

330 pullups - Goal at this point is 346 (and I am due for some more today)

132 Handstand Pushups - Goal at this point is 116 so I am ahead here

51 minutes of planks - Goal at this point is 87 (Planks are so freaking boring I cant stand them)

300 crunches - Goal at this point is 1,151 but I started this only about 7 days ago so I have some catching up to do

All in all, I'm happy with the progress and starting to see some small changes in my upper body definition.

I'll keep you posted again next month.

jeffdonahue

Okay, almost halfway through February.  I hurt my back doing the stupid handstand pushups so I'm not sure I'll get back into those, I'll need to find something else to build up my shoulders, or learn how to do them without hurting myself

Totals to date

4,922 pushups

717 pullups

260 Handstand Pushups

131 minutes worth of planks

1,495 crunches.

I am still a little behind but have decided to make this week a catchup week so I am "Greasing the Groove" on all of the exercises to get myself caught up.  Kind of a gross sounding term, but basically means every time I can during the day, I hit the ground and do either pushups or crunches or planks, and when at home, every time I pass under the pullup bar, I jump up and do a few (usually about 5 at a time).

Seanv2

This seems like a really great way of going about it, plus I'm super impressed that you do 275 push ups in a day!  I need to get back into the habit of both running and doing body weight work.  I might do a much more modest version of this.

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com