Good Times 5K of Lowell MA

Swimsuit Classic RR (Read 179 times)

evtish

It was Friday, I had missed my lunchtime workout finishing up a proposal, so I figured I would head south to Wakefield to run this 5k. I had been contemplating running it earlier in the week and even mentioned it to Ed and others on Tues night. I call home to my DW to let her know my plans, and to my surprise, she actually wants to go with me. Something about needing to get out of the house and away from the kids, and envisioning peacefully sitting by a lake watching runners go by. So I swing home and as luck would have it, the kids improbably all end up over friends houses for sleepovers...this is a first. We drop off DD and friend at her house, and head off to Wakefield. The forecast was for rain and potential T-storms, and it was right on the money. Driving down 93S the skies opened up. Yes, I could have turned around, but that would prove a bit of sanity, and we can't let that happen. So off to the Lord Wakefield hotel on Lake Quannapowitt. Arrived at ~ 6:10. Doug and Ed did not warn me off the nasty smell of that hotel lobby. Having upwards of 100 runners hanging around the entrance/lobby area watching the rain pounding down only added to the stench. I hung around a bit with DW, then ventured into the rain and puddles for a 10 minute warmup jog. Everyone headed over to the start on a side road for the delayed 6:40 start. A police cruiser would lead us around the lake. I was thinking that it would be cool to be behind the cruiser and made my way near the front of the pack. It should be noted that I had an equipment malfunction, not a Janet Jackson one, in that my Garmin would not power on. This posed a problem as I am obsessed with constantly monitoring my pace during a race, and I would not be able to do it this night Shocked The gun went off and 4 guys quickly went out front. I thought the pace was too fast for me so I didn't follow, and stayed back with a pack of 5-10 runners. I ran what I thought was my pace and was pleased when the mile 1 volunteer called out 6:00 as I passed. I felt OK, just a little bit tired, but the course was flat, so maybe I could hold a good pace. Well, I thought I was holding a good pace until I passed mile 2 and they called out 12:47. It didn't feel like I slowed down that much. There were a couple guys 10-20 yds ahead of me and I figured I would pick up the pace and attempt pass them. I caught them on a slight downhill and went by. Well, this piqued there interest and there was now a full blown 3 man race to the finish. One of the guys caught me on a slight uphill, but I was able to pick the pace up again and passed him back. I kind of missjudged how much gas I had left in the tank bc he was able to repass me a couple hundred yards from the finish and I came in at 19:51. Not bad since I had done a pretty hard workout on Thursday so my legs were a bit tired. It poured the whole race and there were lots of puddles to run through or dodge, but having the rain come down had a nice cooling effect. They had a good spread of snacks, watermelon, chips, cookies, Twizzlers, plus the Vitamin Water/gluceau energy drink van was there handing out drinks, so that was nice. Plus, you got a mesh carry bag for registering, and I ended up first in my age group so I won a mystic runners towel. They gave towels to the top 3 in each age group, so there were lots of winners. Overall, it was a well run race...and there's the hotel bar right there so you can grab a beer afterwards. Smile PS: DW noted that the Jordan's Furniture sign was "right there" large as day, so we had to go furniture shopping afterwards since we were so close.
      Nice job on the race Tom, but where's the scenery critique? I couldn't have warned you about the aromatic lobby, because I never went inside. My tasty cold beers were in a cooler out on the course, and my only use of facilities was one of the aromatic porta-potties. I did my 23 miler around Lake Q this weekend, I like the course and there are water fountains available. There were lots of people running and walking, and there was some sort of Town Day fair going on the common. Lots to see and take your mind off the drudgery of training. P.S. - thanks for visiting Doug's page, one less arm I have to twist tonight. Smile

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Food, Folks, Fun, Beer

Tom, Did you actually buy any new furniture or did you just look around? How much did your swimsuit PR night put you in the hole? You should have told DW the furniture sign she saw was a mirage. Kind of like a gatorade table on a 10 mile trail race, is that it, is that it? DAMN more water!!!