Good Times 5K of Lowell MA

Feaster Five - way to go Tom (Read 204 times)

This is a little late (cause I didn't think he ran it) but Mr. O'Leary placed 3rd in his AG with a somewhat spectacular time of 20 something ... On the one hand pretty impressive to get an ag award in a huge race like that, on the other, wtf happened to all the hardcore runners. In any event, GREAT job Tom from the good times forum!
      With that mob scene, that's truly impressive. Attack, attack, attack! Festus would be proud. Where the hell is our report?

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Nice work Tom! I don't want to rain on yours parade, but I placed 2nd in my AG at the Thanks4Giving 5miler.
        evtish

Thanks guys! I decided to do the Feaster Five mobfest because it was the first race I ever ran...not counting that 5k back in 1977 as a 12 yo...plus it's closer and has a later start of 8:30 (I'm not a morning person) From my log: Cold..~35 at 7:45 when I went for a quick jog to warmup. Wore Nike coldgear long sleeve, shorts, gloves, and skull cap. Arrived 10 min before 8:30 start, jogged to starting line, did 2 strides, then the race started in less than 5 minutes - good timing. Started out in 3rd or 4th row, went out at quick pace, then pulled back to 6:15ish and let people go. Had plenty of running room all around me. Hit big hill at 1/2 mile in feeling good, passed alot of the fast starters on the uphill. My critical voice in my head asked "why the hell are you doing this" at the 1 1/2 to 2 mile mark when I started to feel the pain of the 5k pace. Garmin splits: 6:37;6:23;6:17 (19:17 @ 3, finish in 20:21?) Thought I had a good chance at nipping 20, but rounded final corner and the clock was already past it. I think the course is a bit long. Happy with pacing and effort, really confused about the discrepency with the Garmin mileage. Pushed the pace up the final hill, but didn't do an all out sprint at the end. No way it took me 1:03 to run the final .011. 55th place; 3rd in AG. (NOT AS GOOD AS TRENT!!!!) I asked my DW to video the end of the race...it took alot of nagging, but she did it..it's kind of cool seeing the different running styles. Course she stopped right when I finished. I'm trying to figure out how to upload it to the computer, since it's not a hard drive or flash drive recording. If I have the persistance to do it, I'll post a link to it. PS: Trent, I saw that time you posted. Did you eat Wheaties that morning?
            I've been running more and its finally catching up with me. If I keep this up I should have a very competitive Good Times season.
            evtish

I saw those long runs on your log and increased mileage. That was a nice PR you put up in that run, that's gotta make you feel good. You keep that going and we'll be looking at your back come springtime. Great race, keep it going!