Good Times 5K of Lowell MA

Ollie 5 miler (Read 226 times)

DekRunner

Good luck to all of you who are running it tomorrow.  Hope it doesn't get too wet out there.

Hey Dawg - do I see a sub 30 in the forecast?

Hey Dawg - do I see a sub 30 in the forecast?

My legs are feeling pretty dead and I've never run five milers very well.  I wouldn't say no way, but it doesn't seem very likely.  I would say a PR is a much more likely outcome, my current 5 mile PR is a little soft.

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

you looked really fast out there today!!  looking forward to your results.........happy with my effort about an 8:40 avg pace which is great for me!!

and it was sopping wet - think my sneakers weighed 10lbs and i dont need any extra on me - lol!!

denise

you looked really fast out there today!!  looking forward to your results.........happy with my effort about an 8:40 avg pace which is great for me!!

and it was sopping wet - think my sneakers weighed 10lbs and i dont need any extra on me - lol!!

Thanks D, glad to hear you were happy with your run.  It's late in my marathon training, and I ran really hard on Labor Day so I was happy with a small improvement to a PR of 31:53 for the five mile distance.  My legs were really dead, and I just couldn't get them to turn over but I did put in a pretty good effort.  It seems that every time I toe the line for a five miler, my legs are really beat.  I would love to run one on fresh legs, but it just never seems to be in the cards for some reason.

Those nice square blocks are so straight that there is nothing to block the wind, there were a couple of stretches where it was really noticeable for me.  It could have been a lot worse, if the temperature was just a couple degrees lower it would have been pretty miserable.

I checked my shoes this morning, and they are still a little damp.  It really was REALLY wet out there, I can remember running through one small white-water river and taking on some serious water.

Thankfully there were lots of positives to offset the less than incredibly wonderful weather.  It seemed like they had a couple million volunteers, it really was well supported.  I knew quite a few runners that turned out (like you, thanks for saying hello!), which is always nice.  Misery loves company, right?  I liked the little sack-pack the Tshirts came in, and the T itself is pretty nice.  I also got an Asics tech shirt, they had a tent and were handing out a pretty limited number of them until they ran out.  A cheeseburger, yogurt, cookies and a couple beers and who cares if it's raining?

Greater Lowell paid my entry fee, and this is the only event in Boston history with free parking so my out of pocket cost for all that shwag was zero.  Zip.  Nada.  Happens to be my very favorite price, so when all was said and done I was a very happy, very soggy dawg.

If the schedule works, I would definitely do this one again.  If the weather was better, I probably would have hung out until the kegs ran dry.  Maybe next year.  See you soon.   Smile

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Food, Folks, Fun, Beer

BadDawg left early.  He missed out on the Legal Seafood Clam Chowdah Van.  Harpoon UFO's, cheeseburgers, clam chowder, a bag, and a t-shirt with free parking paid for by running club.  Excellent!!!  Time was 52 something.  Better than expected.  But like 10 minutes off my PR set in 2008.