Good Times 5K of Lowell MA

Wild Rover Series (Read 811 times)

The Wild Rover Series is back. There is a nice new medal design, so I can't pick up the missing piece from last year. Camire reduces, reuses and recycles everything, now he goes all original? And I just HATE that it conflicts with Stu's 30K again. Damnit. The distance of each event increases by one mile on three consecutive weekends adding to the challenge and increasing the fun. The J.P. McBride's Frozen Shamrock on February 22nd is three miles, the Claddagh Pub Classic on March 1st is four miles and the Hynes Tavern Race on March 8th is five miles. So getting fit for the spring is as easy as 3-4-5! Each race in the Wild Rover Series will be awarding finisher medals. Alone these are attractive medals that will certainly occupy a treasured spot in your trophy case. However all three medals fit together like a puzzle to form a larger Wild Rover Series medallion.

E.J.
    Greater Lowell Road Runners
    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Sounds fun. I should do it this year. Still too early to say though.
        The Wild Rover Series is back. There is a nice new medal design, so I can't pick up the missing piece from last year. Camire reduces, reuses and recycles everything, now he goes all original? And I just HATE that it conflicts with Stu's 30K again. Damnit. The distance of each event increases by one mile on three consecutive weekends adding to the challenge and increasing the fun. The J.P. McBride's Frozen Shamrock on February 22nd is three miles, the Claddagh Pub Classic on March 1st is four miles and the Hynes Tavern Race on March 8th is five miles. So getting fit for the spring is as easy as 3-4-5! Each race in the Wild Rover Series will be awarding finisher medals. Alone these are attractive medals that will certainly occupy a treasured spot in your trophy case. However all three medals fit together like a puzzle to form a larger Wild Rover Series medallion.
          whoa... wtf happened. I meant to quote ed saying that he hated "it conflicts with Stu's 50k." I read your report, I have heard you say you want to kill Stu. You should be happy to run the claddagh race. In any event, I am signing up (although I may run Stu's). Trent et al., this series is a lot of fun. I highly recommend it.
            I meant to quote ed saying that he hated "it conflicts with Stu's 50k."
            If Stu's was a 50K I wouldn't DREAM of running it, it's torturous enough as a 30K (18.6 miles). It's happy pain and not actually all THAT bad, until that last half mile. That last half mile really does suck. They'll make another Stu's next year, and the hills will still be there. I think I'll do the Wild Rover and pass on Stu's this year, I'll probably run the 14th Annual Boston Prep 16 miler (also known simply as "Derry") which is also supposed to be brutally hilly. Fun, fun, fun.

E.J.

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

I just went to the site, and there doesn't appear to be a mail-in option. If registering through active.com is the only option, I'll probably pass and go run Stu's. As a rule, I avoid supporting the greedy bastards of active.com whenever I can. I don't see a need for them to tack on a $5.00 processing fee, there are already enough bullshit fees for Ticketmaster, cell phones etc. It would be sad to miss 'em, but F that.

E.J.

Why don't you cal/email camire and tell him your issues. Maybe there is a valid reason he has to do it through that piece o' shit site, or maybe there isn't and he's being part of the problem ( which might be a reason to avoid a very enjoyable series ).
                  Why don't you cal/email camire and tell him your issues. Maybe there is a valid reason he has to do it through that piece o' shit site, or maybe there isn't and he's being part of the problem ( which might be a reason to avoid a very enjoyable series ).
                  I emailed Dave before posting, but I don't always get a reply (true for both the coolrunning.com and yankeetiming.com addresses). I'll probably show up to tip beers in Haverhill, run Stu's in beautiful Clinton, then show up to tip beers in Lowell. All is not lost. Smile

E.J.

I emailed Dave before posting, but I don't always get a reply (true for both the coolrunning.com and yankeetiming.com addresses). I'll probably show up to tip beers in Haverhill, run Stu's in beautiful Clinton, then show up to tip beers in Lowell. All is not lost. Smile
                    In this case, I got a very prompt reply.
                    Hi Ed, It is for now. We’ll make the decision on whether to go with paper in a week or two. We will open online registration for individual races on January 1 as long as we have not reached our 900 entrant cap. Dave
                    Looks like he wants to sell out via active, but might adjust if business is slow?

E.J.

Did you tell him that active.com sucks so that is a sucky process?
                        Jim Rhodes uses a service called signmeup.com for his Super 5K race that doesn't have a service charge. That was refreshing. I hate paying $3 or more each time I use active.com.

upcoming races:

Did you tell him that active.com sucks so that is a sucky process?
                          I figure he's probably aware of that, if I'm tipping beers but not in the results he'll be able to connect the dots.
                          Jim Rhodes uses a service called signmeup.com for his Super 5K race that doesn't have a service charge. That was refreshing. I hate paying $3 or more each time I use active.com.
                          I hate paying them because they might make a race director's life easier but they don't add any value for runners. They just make their money as corporate internet leaches.

E.J.

I don't know if active.com makes camire's life easier. I do know that that is the outfit that bought coolrunning from him, and that he continues to work for coolrunning, which makes him an employee or independent contractor for active.com.

Food, Folks, Fun, Beer

do Stu's!!! Just say no to big corporate shananagan rip offs!!! I'll see you there Ed and Jay. Trent, I hope you go. Can't take not running. Ankles arent healed yet. All this free time. What to do.....what to do..
                                I absolutely hate active.com.