Good Times 5K of Lowell MA

Larry Robinson race venting (Read 235 times)

evtish

Decided to run the 5k on Thursday night, figured I'd go for a PR. Went easy on Friday, took Sat off so my legs would be fresh. I've been running hard intervals for the last 5 weeks, should be an easy PR. NOT!! Crap race, went out way too fast in the first 1/2 mile, burned myself out, and sucked wind for the last 2 miles. Dead Saw Jay afterward, he ran the 10 miler and is dissappointed that he's getter slower too. So, guess I have to run like 40-50 miles a week to get faster...who has the time to do that? I'll have to get a treadmill for my basement.
      Don't use the "t" word in front of Ed....

upcoming races:

Does this mean Jake won't be moving to MA to be your disciple? If it's any comfort, a bad race is better than no race at all. My ankle/shin still haven't recovered from the beating they took at BayState. I'm going nuts, and thinking about a short easy run on Wednesday to check things out. You were really done at a mile? Just HOW fast did you go out, 5:00?

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

evtish

EJ, take your time recovering, you deserve it after all those 3-4 hr runs you did. Garmin had me at 4:58 during the first mile. Yeah, that was stupid. By the time I slowed down and adjusted my pace, the damage was done, and me legs were like lead by the third mile. Another lesson on why even paced running is the way to go.
            Garmin had me at 4:58 during the first mile.
            Holy sh*t. How the hell did you even do that? Wow. I couldn't run 4:58 for a mile if my life depended on it.
            Another lesson on why even paced running is the way to go.
            Yeah, there was some wicked smaht guy that posted recently about the merits of even pacing. I think he was from Methuen? I'll try to find the thread. Evil grin

E.J.
            Greater Lowell Road Runners
            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

evtish

Ha Ha... Big grin Yeah right, 4:58 for a mile. I meant I just ran that pace for some amount of time, probably like 10 yards. That's still too much for me.

Food, Folks, Fun, Beer

Treadmill??? Tom, get the proper clothing gear and suck it up. Sunny, rain, snow, or shine, you have to go outside and run. Unless of course, you've become a JOGGER. I used the T word and the J word all in one posting. What a dirty mouth, I'll think I go wash it out with some beer.... Tom, you cant PR all the time. Did you ease back on your mileage 1-3 weeks before the LR 5k? PS, Tom I'm jealous you can do 4:58 for a mile or anything under my whimpy 24:52 or whatever the hell it is. If you're stuck on the same plan with no better results, time to change your plan! Peace to all and to all a happy day.

Food, Folks, Fun, Beer

Just by looking at your Log, Tom. You did too many miles on race week. Two weeks before you had 24 miles. Then you tapered to 18. You did 27.7 miles race week. You did 9+ miles of running then you did the week before and you're supposed to less not more than the week before if you want to do well in a race. You gotta taper about 20-50% of your miles 1-3 weeks before race. 5 of those miles were the same day after your 5k so lets forget about those miles and just call it 22.7 miles. If you cut out your interval that week of 3.7, that would be 19 miles. After cutting out your interval run for that week, you would have still had to decrease by at least 3 miles on your easy run. PS, Ed I feel you're pain. My feet are trashed from running my first marathon and my fastest three half marathon's all between October 5th and November 2nd. I tried running a few days ago but my achilles tendon wasnt up for the task. Cry Cry