Toronto and Beyond

Daddyo at Boston. (Read 199 times)

Unfortunately his last 3 splits are 23 minutes, 27 minutes and 30 minutes: looks like he is having a tough day, hope he finishes.

I gues we will get a report on his return...

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

redleaf

3:43:38 finish time! I'm impressed

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

I was following him all morning....  i'm looking forward to reading the report.

5k 10k 15k 20k Half 25k 30k 35k 40k
        0:24:31 0:48:39 1:12:44 1:37:21 1:42:52 2:02:45 2:29:47 3:00:21 3:30:09
        Finish Start Time Offset Pace Projected Time Official Time Overall Gender Division
        00:06:37 0:08:32   3:43:38 11064 7900 1481

From his FB posting sounds like he just took it easy and drank it all in.  Good for Daddyo! That is exactly what I would do. (Yeah, like BQ'g will ever happen for me, but I digress.)   Just qualifying is a fantastic accomplishment.  I am so happy for him. Looking forward to a RR.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Go Pre!

Unfortunately his last 3 splits are 23 minutes, 27 minutes and 30 minutes: looks like he is having a tough day, hope he finishes.

I gues we will get a report on his return...

A tough day would have ensued had I tried to keep that pace....On the contrary. Here is my report...

Friday

Drove there, tons of traffic, lot's of stress and cut the drive at midnight a couple hours away to shack up. Good call.

Saturday

Got to Boston, checked in, Race Expo (Amazing!) and met for lunch with an old friend who moved to Boston, and some of our group of Boston Qualifiers and spouses. Dinner in the north end with the 12 of our group of 16. Nice.

Sunday

Up early for the 5k race. Anita, Cam and Sarah plus a few friends and spouses of our group ran as well.

Sarah, 16yr, finished 3rd with a 19:44 in the 15-19 age group, 18th woman overall. Cam, 9yr, ran 21:39 and finished 12th in the 10-14 age group. Very cool. Very proud.

Anita limped through with a nagging hip injury and simply took it all in. She is a trooper!

After the 5k we went to the 'all canadian brunch' put on by MyNextRace.com and was sponsored by Porter and Timmies. That was pretty cool. Another trip to the expo...yes, this was neccessary.

I enjoyed a nice quiet dinner at a tiny restaurant near our apartment, just with the fam and our roomate, Duff, my 60 year old good friend/mentor who ran his 3rd Boston.

Slept like shit. Loud talkers outside out window, major traffic and footsteps from floor above. I knew it was going to be a tough race.

Monday

Up early, off to the buses, long line up for the bus, long line ups for the porta potties, much excitement to make the long line ups, nothing but good memories despite the waiting and stressing. The spirit was wicked.

As for the race...

3:43:38...well off my goal but I did race my plan which was to test the waters after this year's intermittent training and shut it down if I felt I was risking a struggle to finish at that pace.

I got to the half in 1:42 thinking if I tried to run a negative split I'd be crawling in based on how I felt. I wanted to enjoy my first trip to Boston so I shut it down and thoroughly enjoyed the entire race, the entire day. From the Athletes Village and the long walk to the start. Feeling 'dead' after the first downhill. (Bonking at mile .5?) All the great spectators and all of the landmarks. 

I spent the entire last 5 miles high fiving despite my tired arms. It was awesome. Simply awesome. I texted my wife from a porta potty at mile 21 to tell her not to worry, and that I was going to cruise in and soak it up.

Wearing a Canada shirt paid off huge, must have received over 300 'Go Canada' and other runners around me were bummed that I was getting cheers and their local university shirts weren't. The crowd was simply awesome. The BAA organization is overwhelmingly impressive.

Monday night, we partied back at our apartment, pizza, junk food, beer, laughs, all of the stories. Everyone had a great time at the race and we celebrated a couple of PRs a couple of blow ups and a few ran like me, just enough to finish in a decent time and still enjoy the race. Slept much better Monday night!

Tuesday

Up early to drive Duff to the airport. He is doing 'Boston to Big Sur' next weekend in California. First 400 to sign up for both races gets special shirts, jackets and medals. Sweet, I'd like to do this next year, or some time.

Drive home was much faster despite frequent stops to keep the legs moving. We saw Boston shirts and jackets at each stop (we stopped 8 times) and had some good chats at each stop. The running community rocks.

The final word

I did not get Boston out of my system, I do not feel like I have been there done that. I can't wait to do it again.

Check out my Facebook Page for a (loud) video of the Wellesley Girls and some other pics

Thanks for all of your support. I hope more of us GTA people  will be in tow next year! (I hope I make it back myself!)

Dave

Sounds like a fantastic weekend...........

Now you have a soft PR at Boston so you can crush it next time. 

JR

Sounds like you had a great time, Dave!

Apologies for my misjudgement of the situation, I think there is some saying about jumping to conclusions- anyway glad to hear I was wrong! I'll bet you will remember this experience for the rest of your life.

Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Awesome, Dave! So glad you were able to enjoy it as much as you did, and congrats to your girls!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                  Thyroid Support Group

Great report, Dave. Let's meet up soon. I want to hear more.