Toronto and Beyond

Angus Glen (Read 382 times)

Has anyone ran the Angus Glen Half or 10k ?  Wondered how it compares terrain-wise to the Toronto halfs.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

I know that Jason has. I am sure he will pipe in...

I believe it is fairly hilly. Good swag in the race kit from what I understand.

I ran the Angus Glen 10k last year.

Dave is correct... good swag.  Lots of goodies in the Race kit.  Well organized race.... The beauty is you get to stay inside the clubhouse before the race starts so staying warm is not an issue there are also real bathrooms, no port-a-john ... this is brilliant.  After the race you head back into the clubhouse for the buffet lunch that was included in the race fee.

It is not a flat course.  You leave the clubhouse at the golf course and head out to Kennedy Road, take a right and then run through the Angus Glen Community.  This is the flat and easy part of the course.  Once you head back up Kennedy road it feels really steep. The good thing is that you turn 180 degrees on Kennedy so you get to run back down the hill which can make for a fast finish.   The GPS says its only 219 feet of elevation gain but it felt like so much more.

Here is my race report.  And this is the Download from my Garmin.

redleaf

Cool. I like the idea of another 10k....

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Brrrr......... 

I was thinking of going just to get more of the long race experience but the 10 sounds tempting.  The only problem with that is my PR (such as it is) is Sporting Life so I wonder if it will be too difficult to beat on a hilly terrain. 

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

I was 2.5 minutes faster at sporting life.

This is not a PR course but it is an enjoyable race.

redleaf

I was 2.5 minutes faster at sporting life.

This is not a PR course but it is an enjoyable race.

And then think of how great Sporting Life will feel after having done this one in between?

Can you tell I am thinking about signing up for this? I know it's hilly but it sounds great. Plus I have the hilly Zoo run coming up anyway...

HF #4362

I'm seriously thinking about this except for this confession:  I looked at the results in my age group last year and the very last person came in at 2:35.  Sooo......I have to first wrap my head around the very distinct possiblity that i may come in dead last!  Yeah, I know it's not the end of the world, but I might have to go for counselling....

There is a wee bit more lee-way in the 10k. 

And then think of how great Sporting Life will feel after having done this one in between?

Can you tell I am thinking about signing up for this? I know it's hilly but it sounds great. Plus I have the hilly Zoo run coming up anyway...

Sign up Ruth - if you sign up for the half I'll cheer you on!

Okay, we've got to the 16th before the prices go up.  But I tell you, the fastest 50-something women are all at this race.  I know - I'll just pretend it's the Olympics and have the opportunity to participate!  Someone has to be last.....why not me?   

redleaf

Okay, we've got to the 16th before the prices go up.  But I tell you, the fastest 50-something women are all at this race.  I know - I'll just pretend it's the Olympics and have the opportunity to participate!  Someone has to be last.....why not me?   

but that's just the 50somethings. Think of how cool it would be to beat a 40something? Or a 30something?

HF #4362

redleaf

Are you getting excited? Sorry I won't be there to cheer you on! I'll be thinking of you in Montreal though Smile

HF #4362

I am tweaking a bit - which is weird - never happened before.  All this stuff about H1N1 is making me germaphobic to the max!  I am trying to spend all this time getting my head focused on the spirit of the race.

It should be fun - nice weather and some friends at the end!

I did it!  Beat my PB with a 2:18 (Scotia was 2:26). 

Angus Glen is a hilly course but I think what helped me was the coolness.  Absolutely the best weather for running.  Light breeze, 9 degrees, sun/cloud mix.  I had just the right clothes on too. Capris and long sleeved top.  Started with a vest and hat but they were gone within 3km.

Angus Glen certainly knows how to put on a race - in the clubhouse before keeping warm, coffee and water while we're waiting, easy to get to everything and it was not overcrowded. 

I will do this one again. 

congrats on the PR Ruth!!!
                              redleaf

I did it!  Beat my PB with a 2:18 (Scotia was 2:26). 

Angus Glen is a hilly course but I think what helped me was the coolness.  Absolutely the best weather for running.  Light breeze, 9 degrees, sun/cloud mix.  I had just the right clothes on too. Capris and long sleeved top.  Started with a vest and hat but they were gone within 3km.

Angus Glen certainly knows how to put on a race - in the clubhouse before keeping warm, coffee and water while we're waiting, easy to get to everything and it was not overcrowded. 

I will do this one again. 

woohoo!

HF #4362