Toronto and Beyond

Only one marathon in Toronto????? It's not right! (Read 210 times)

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

redleaf

wow - the two organizers don't come off very well in the report. Something to think about; not that I'm in any danger of running a marathon any time soon...

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Faced with the possibility that Toronto Council will cancel one of the two events I am surprised there seems to have been little interest in reachinmg a compromise.

I suppose it would be difficult to go to euther Scotiabank or Goodlife fitness and ask for money without being able to name the event. (I can't see either of them wanting to be second in a compound name like "Goodlife Fitness-Scotiabank")  You could either choose one route or the other and one date or the other, or run a new route on a date between the two, though it may be more complicated than that.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Why don't they change the dates to have them further apart?  I always wondered why they were held so close together.  April/May and September/October sound right to me.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

This doesn't really come as a surprise. This has been brewing for years. Both races have their up/down-sides. I prefer the Goodlife, but to be fair, I haven't run the new Scotiabank route - and I hear it is a big improvement. Maybe one larger, more well-organized race will be better. Maybe not.

It seems the situation has been resolved, according to an article in the Star today.

Goodlife fitness will move to the spring as of 2011, I suppose the Canon Mississauga marathon is felt to be far enough away geographically that this does not simply replace one schedule conflict with another, but I am not so sure myself.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

i don't think the problem is too many marathons.... its too many whiny fat ass Torontonians who don't to leave their car at home for 2 days.

i don't think the problem is too many marathons.... its too many whiny fat ass Torontonians who don't to leave their car at home for 2 days.

+1

However, I am happy we now have 2 marathons. I think that this was the best solution.   I am hoping that the Good Life Marathon becomes world class too.

Goodlife really need to get their act together for the buses to the start..... I was on a bus this year with a bunch of half marathoners... when we arrived at the start the race had already begun..... it was enough for me to cross Goodlife off my list of possible fall marathons.