Toronto and Beyond

Harry's & Sporting Life (Read 303 times)

Who ran it?

How was it........

I'm fighting injury and laziness...... hope to make my 2010 race debut at Sporting Life.

Looks like Ruth had a significant PR....

Nice work.

Harry's was my first race - the one that got me hooked.  And my BIL has metastatic prostate cancer so for those two reasons it is an important one.  Last year I ran the 8k in 1:03 but that was because my iron levels were in the dumper.  This year I did it in 53 min!  Woo hoo! I felt pretty good and ran most of the race but it was tight a couple of times and I could have sped up but couldn't get by some people.

It was incredibly warm and I marvelled at the number of people who were over-dressed.  Port-o-potties had huge lineups (I don't remember that in previous years).  Good course support.  I didn't stay long but one of the coolest things is that a colleague at work is emblazoned on the finisher's medal!  He dressed in a fancy suit one year and one the best dressed prize.  Trouble is, he didn't even run this year!

This is my first race with the Garmin and I actually used it for the race.  It helped me get a negative split which I think helped me for the final hill!  

On to SL in search of sub 1-hour 10k.  Uh oh.  Did I say that out loud?  

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Way to go Ruth.....

The Sporting Life course is so much easier than Harry's I'm sure you can get your sub 60.

One thing I would warn you about using the Garmin at SL is that mine loses signal reliability once you get surrounded by the tall buildings and it registers weird numbers...... it told me that I ran a 5 minute mile... but no I didn't.

Good luck at SL.

Re: Garmin

Oh yeah, mine keeps telling me ridiculous numbers but I think in the end, it's okay.  I didn't turn it off as I I went through the finish line, but the time and distance were pretty close to sportstats.

I think I'll be huffing and puffing pretty hard if I'm doing a 6 minute mile!  More like a 6 min kilometer.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Ruth I have no doubt you can do this, just takes a hard effort for the last couple of kilometers under the Gardiner.

Good luck!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

they changed the finish... you go west on Richmond.... then south on York to Front... west on front to Bathurst and take the ramp down to lakeshore???  anyway.. .the new finish is much better and FASTER than the old under the Gardiner finish...

Ruth has this in the bag......

redleaf

On to SL in search of sub 1-hour 10k.  Uh oh.  Did I say that out loud?  

woohoo - I have no doubts you can do this!

I'll be at least 10 minutes behind

I will be signing up today though. Then figuring out how to rope my mom into giving me a drive up

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

woohoo - I have no doubts you can do this!

I'll be at least 10 minutes behind

I will be signing up today though. Then figuring out how to rope my mom into giving me a drive up

I can give you a ride home if you like.  

redleaf

I can give you a ride home if you like.  

lol thanks but from Fort York it's a relatively short walk home!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Nice PR, Ruth! I betting on you hitting your 10K goal too!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                        Thyroid Support Group

Sorry I am late to the party. Way to go, Ruth. Good luck at SL.
                            Well, I missed my goal.  Got a new course PB though.  1:00:27.  I am kicking myself for walking at that last water station - I should have just kept going.

This race ending has always been horrible and this year was great!  Very easy to get out and no delays anywhere.  The beginning was a bit tough since I went out in the 3rd wave which was 11 minutes late from the scheduled 8:10 time.  Of course no-one at the other end knows this of course so it is very difficult for them to find you. 

Rain held off until I got in the car - yeah!  It was darn muggy though - reminded me of Scotiabank.

I didn't have a great race today.... but I haven't been training hard.  I managed at 50:14

My wife ran her first race and had a great time.  1:09

Congrats on a great run, Ruth! A little cooler and less muggy weather and you would have been well under the hour.

Congrats to your wife (and you) too, Jason.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.