Grandmas Marathon

Post Race Summary, and Next Year? (Read 235 times)

Interested in hearing everyone's final word on Grandma's 2011.

My thoughts:

•    Great weather finally, so it is probably back to 90 F for the next 10 years.
    •    PR by 30 minutes.  Pacing was right on through 20+, and although slowed down, was still on target for 4 hours until the 23rd mile.  Considering my injuries and lack of training, I am very happy with that.
    •    Plan to run again in 2012, breaking my Odd Year streak (2007, 2009, 2011).
    •    Family will be there, but wife plans to run either full or half this time.
    •    Goal, to finally make it to Fitgers post race.

DB:  Sub 3 hr, but no PR.  Could have been the pre race beers.  6 pack before start is a different kind of carbo loading.  

Trent:  Nice and steady, PF come and gone.  

Tammy or Doug, how did things go?  Anybody else?

2018 Goals:

Get Lucky Half  1:47:59

Grandmas Marathon

Fall Marathon - Twin Cities??

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Planning to be back in 2012 as well, and I probably still won't target it as a goal race.  I simply still don't trust the old woman.  Anyhow, June 16, 2012 at 7:45am (due to a delay in the half resulting from HM championships they are running).

I have run every day since the race.  I was of course a bit stiff, but that has passed.  Worse, I came down with the usual postrace bug which exacerbated my asthma and so I have been wheezing a bit.  So my runs have been a bit easier and shorter than I had hoped.  Meds came through today, so hopefully I will be rolling again before long.

I may right up a race report.  I am still a bit surprised by my PIOYA race, and how relatively easy it was, all the way through the mile 25 which I ran at my recent 10k PR pace. 

I think the reason DB did not PR is because he stopped at 6 beers night before the race Wink

DoppleBock

The reason I did not PR was my fat giggly ass - I need to weigh 195-200 + Be in shape to PR.  Half ass shape and 217# I hit 'bout the best I could hope for.  BTW - No beer the 7 days prior to the race.  Lot's of beer post race.  No beer since.

I was super stiff - like I ran a marathon hard for 3 days, now my legs are just not strong yet.

Next year?  Depends on a lot.  I would like to run Grandmas, but if I run FANS24 race 2 weeks before, I will not be running Grandmas.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

PIOYA?

The pacing thing is something I am just know getting into.  Seems like it is difficult to know how things are and how to adjust.  Similar to Boston's conditions, good tailwind, but you didn't notice it.  I believe that this helps the faster runners more, as they have less ground contact,.  Mentally,I don't have enough experience or "feel" to adjust my pace.  I still use my Garmin for pacing realizing it may be off a little.  Even though the early miles were easy, I made sure my 1st mile was slow, and my goal was to have no mile faster than 8:50 before 13.1.  I had a few in the 8:40's mainly due to terrain (downhills).  

Need to work on what normal pain is versus bad pain in the last 10K.  

Nice last 10K Trent!

2018 Goals:

Get Lucky Half  1:47:59

Grandmas Marathon

Fall Marathon - Twin Cities??

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

PIOYA.  A fantastic marathon plan.  It stands for Pull It Outta Your Ass.  That what I did, and it worked Big grin

And thanks.  My last 10k was 51:53, almost 2 minutes faster than my first 10k.

DoppleBock

I think it takes some poeple longer and some never get the "Feel" of marathon pace on race day.  I pretty much only run by feel ... even for speed work - I run 5 minutes hard and 5 easy or 4x10 minutes @ perceived LAT pace.  When I do a distance tempo - I just do not look at my watch until I am done.

I have never owned a garmin ... If I am running out of town - I run by time and guess at distance ... 19, 20, 21 miles ... its all the same as far as type of workout.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

spinach

Even though a bunch of my friends ran it and told me what qreat conditions they had this year, Grandma's is still on my "Never Again" list. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Even though a bunch of my friends ran it and told me what qreat conditions they had this year, Grandma's is still on my "Never Again" list. 

Mine too.  As in: never set as a goal race again.  I'll always plan to jog it.  And when things come together, as they did this year, BAM!

TammyinGP

Hi!

I'm finally back to work after my 2.5 wk vacation and back home to sunny, warm and DRY Oregon Smile

This was marathon #3 for me and I loved it! I only get back to MN every 4-5 yrs, although now that my grandma is 87, I think I might try to come back in 3 yrs instead. and hopefully I can coincide the trip with G'mas because I'd run this one again . . . but i want this weather. ok? Joking

eta: since I'm still relatively new at this marathon thang, I need to work on when it's safe to kick it up a notch. I think I run this distance too conservatively and am afraid of at what point during that last 10K I can pick up my speed and really push it. It's a mental paralysis I have as I don't want to be one of those runners that I sometimes see with the wobbly legs who can barely walk across the finish line.

I ran a 4:16:53, which was 5 seconds slower than last summers marathon. I was kicking myself for that. soooooo close to a PR and with the net downhill on this course, I really should have been able to PR. About mile 20 though I could feel some tightness thru my IT band and that kind of scared me too, as I fought recurring ITBS for over a year when I first started running 5 yrs ago. Fortunately, after about 36 hrs the IT pain was gone and I ran on Monday following the marathon and felt good.

Tammy

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I'd run this one again . . . but i want this weather.

+1

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

2012 Grandma's Marathon Registration Now Available!‏

July Greetings from Grandma’s Marathon,

NOW OPEN - 2012 Grandma’s Marathon Registration!
                        Registration for the 2012 Grandma's Marathon opened this morning! The entry fee through September 30 is just $80. On October 1, the fee will increase to $85 (see complete fee structure below).

2012 Grandma’s Marathon Entry Fee Structure
                        $80 - July 1 to September 30
                        $85 - October 1 to January 31
                        $90 - February 1 to March 31
                        $100 - April 1 to May 31

Grandma's Marathon weekend also features the 22nd annual Garry Bjorklund Half Marathon and the 19th annual William A. Irvin 5K. Registration for those two events will begin next February and March, respectively. The Garry Bjorklund Half Marathon will take place on Saturday, June 16 and the William A. Irvin 5K on Friday, June 15.

For more information on any of Grandma's Marathon’s races or events, visit www.GrandmasMarathon.com or call (218) 727-0947.

2012 Grandma’s Marathon Online Registration Schedule
                        Grandma's Marathon
                        Registration NOW OPEN 

Garry Bjorklund Half Marathon
                        Lottery registration open from Feb. 13-24, 2012

William A. Irvin 5K
                        Registration opens Thursday, March 15, 2012

Park Point 5-Miler Registration Now Open
                        Just two weeks until the the Park Point 5-Miler Friday, July 15 at 6:30 p.m. on Duluth’s Park Point. A 2-mile walk and free kids races for those 14 & under are also part of the event. This event is a fundraiser for the Young Athletes Foundation. Click here to register or for more information: http://www.grandmasmarathon.com/races/parkpoint5miler.php

Join Us On FACEBOOK and TWITTER!
                        To become a Facebook fan, visit: www.facebook.com/pages/Grandmas-Marathon-Duluth-Inc/137251173920

To follow us on Twitter, visit: www.twitter.com/GrandmasMara

If you have questions about any of the above, please call Grandma's Marathon Headquarters at 218-727-0947 or visit www.GrandmasMarathon.com

Thank you and have a safe and happy holiday weekend!

Sincerely,

Grandma's Marathon Staff and Board of Directors