Grandmas Marathon

Training advice - Long run (Read 194 times)

Would appreciate advice from the experienced marathoners here. I have been following the FIRST program like I did for Grandma's in 2007. Been adding a few "bonus runs", but time is always an issue for me. With the limited training, I find that missing a run, especially a long run is a disaster. My question, last week I was scheduled to run 20 miles. I was in Las Vegas Cool, and it got HOT quickly. I only did 14 miles, and then went out and walked another 6 miles. I am supposed to run 16 miles this weekend, back off next week to 12, and then follow it with a 20 miler the weekend of the 30th. I am thinking of increasing my run this weekend to 20 miles. Thoughts?

2018 Goals:

Get Lucky Half  1:47:59

Grandmas Marathon

Fall Marathon - Twin Cities??

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I'd run the 20 this weekend and then jump back on schedule next. But I'm crazy Wink
        Agree with Trent. Do the 20 and then the 12 the following weekend.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Bugs

I guess it depends how you feel this weekend. I've done back to back 20 mile long runs. It's do able not ideal. I probably would run some doubles this weekend, say a 15mile run, and later in evening a 3 mile run, and next week do the 20. I just ran a marathon Saturday and for that ran just one three hour long run. I can't tell you how far I went maybe 18-19 miles. I don't think I ever ran 20. Saturday I ran the marathon easily at 4:06, not a mile was difficult. (It was just a fun training for me.) Three 20's aren't as important as not burning yourself out in training. So my advice is whatever you decide just don't wear yourself out getting the extra miles in.

Bugs

Long run tale. The training program called for 20 miles at 9:30 pace last week - and I only did 14. So after consulting with the fellow GM's here, I did decide to do the 20 today. Thought I would try a run - walk sequence, as I walked through water stops on my first marathon. I like to base goals on different levels (1) realistic - to make it (2) Probable - sub 10 minute pace and (3) Best case scenario - 9:30 average pace. With this in mind, I set out to do 1 mile runs with 30 seconds walk. Galloway would say this is to much running, and not enough walking, but since I usually don't walk at all, thought it was a starting point. I also wore my heart rate monitor for the first time. My plan was not to watch it at all during the run, but analyze it afterwards. Thought it would be a good indicator of my overall condition. At the end - I learned a lot from this run. THE GOOD: 1. I finished 2. Sub 10 minute pace 3. Much better feeling at the end compared to my 18 miler a few weeks ago. Most likely this was the run - walk combo, although I usually feel better on my long runs after doing intervals earlier in the week. 4. Great weather - started out in the low 50's and hit 59 F at the end. Ran along the Erie canal for 10 miles or so. Good combination of weather and scenery Cool 5. Able to drink lots of fluid the day before. 6. Ate a Powerbar 2 hours before the run. THE BAD 1. Check the battery in the heart rate monitor before using, especially if you haven't used it recently. 2. It took me 7 to 8 miles to get used to the run walk thing. 3. Seems that my final pace was slower than I thought. My plan was to keep it around 9 minutes and no slower than 9:15, and most the time I felt I did. This probably reflects the start-up from the walk?? If I do this during GM, I will need to take that into account. Evil grin 4. Garmin malfunctioned during run. It stopped intervals after only 14 miles. I had planned 16 intervals, then run in from there. 5. Salad bar was excellent at work yesterday, and wife made some great ravioli for dinner- ate too much, especially roughage. 6. Need sleep aid for daughters. One woke up at 3 AM and the other 5 AM - which is why I could eat the Powerbar 2 hours before the run. 7. No electrolyte fluid at home. So, I decided to eat one cliff shot every even mile (2,4,6, etc). Not as much for the carbs, but for the small amount of Na and K. By 12 miles, I was feeling queasy, and by 17 nauseated. Dead Best miles as far as I am concerned: 1st just for getting going, and 17th for pushing through. Undecided

2018 Goals:

Get Lucky Half  1:47:59

Grandmas Marathon

Fall Marathon - Twin Cities??