Grandmas Marathon

2008 (Read 428 times)

I've signed up. Anyone else planning on running Grandma's?
      I'm in ... start training next Monday with a Pfitz 18/70 plan. Peter
        I'm in ... start training next Monday with a Pfitz 18/70 plan. Peter
        18 weeks out starting next Monday. I still haven't decided what to do for training. I'm kinda recovering from Miami which I ran three weeks ago this Sunday. No injuries, I just don't want to take on a program that hits hard right up front. Given that, I think I'm not going to use Daniels A because the first week has you doing 80% of peek. I used Pfitz 18/55 from Miami. I'd like to use 18/70 but don't know if I'm there yet. I'll probably just cobble out something between the 55 and 70 program. Good luck with your training.
          A good way to split the difference between 55 & 70 on Pfitz is to add a short 3-4 mile on one of the off days. If I remember correctly the 55 has 2 off days per week and a couple of years ago I did this to get from a 5 days/ week to 6 days/week. If you're feeling good, run it easy; if your tired or aching then take the day off. Good luck
            A good way to split the difference between 55 & 70 on Pfitz is to add a short 3-4 mile on one of the off days.
            That sounds like good advice. Thanks.
              Hello Myself and some friends are signed up for Grandma's in 2008. Looking forward to it - it will be my second marathon. My first one is in a couple weeks at the Napa Valley Marathon. Good luck with all your training.. Joe

Member, Tangerine Meat Gloss Running Team

Hey Joe Napa looks like a good race. Running through wine contray... awesome. Good luck and let me know how you make out and what you thought of the race. Damien.
                  The race is 16 weeks from this coming Sat (1 March). How's the training going for everyone? I officially started last week and got my planned runs and mileage in although was stuck on the treadmill a couple of days due to travel and cold weather.
                    Got my first marathon this Sunday - then after a week or so off I will jump into a 16 week program. Nervous about Sunday though, my longest runs have only been 21 miles - and I cant see how I can run another 5 after that. The wheels start falling off the truck at around 18 miles.. Oh well, just going to enjoy the experience this time around. I'll have some goals in mind for Duluth. I'm going up with 5 people, and they all started their 16 week programs this past week. I'll try and get them to join this group.. Looking forward to a good weekend up in Duluth.

Good luck in Napa Coconut. Be sure to drop a line in here about how you do. I definately had the same feelings before my first marathon, i.e. "how the hell am I going 26.2 when I have trouble with 20." My advice: don't worry about it. Long runs are hard in part is because they're in the middle of your schedule and you don't tapper for them. Also, the race setting is completely different than a training run. There mere fact that you're running what you spent months training for gives you something extra. My training is alright. I going to start a 16 week schedule on Monday. This week is sorta a cut back for me. I had been building back up since running Miami a month ago. Last week I did about 33 or so and wanted to get to about 37 this week, as my first scheduled week is 41. However, I had a little IT pain after last week's long run and figured I would take it easy this week. It's been tough, but I think the cut back will help.
                      jenrus_13

Hello everyone! I am new to the whole marathon thing. I ran grandma's 2 years ago, and it did not go very well. So I decided to give it another go. This is a great site! I don't have anyone near by that I am able to train with, hopefully you guys can help answer any questions I have!
                          hiya Jenrus. How's the training going?
                            Hello Welcome to the group dnice.. I only signed up a couple weeks ago myself. I guess its time to get out of my post-marathon rest and start training for this one.. arg... Joe

How did Napa go Joe?
                              jenrus_13

Training is going okay so far. I decided to be a jumps coach for track this year, so that is cutting into some of my running times. I am doing a 10 mile run on Sat. which will give me a better idea of where I am at.