Grandmas Marathon

Nice! (Read 398 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

Well, it lived up to its reputation. Well-organized, enthusiastic, fun, scenic, and the community loves the runners. A beautiful run along "The Big Lake They Call Gitchee Gumee". The weather cooperated this year too! A small/mid-size town putting on a big sporting event--it's the Green Bay Packers of marathons! I thought that the train following along with the pack was really cool too.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I wish I was there. Congrats to all the finishers. What is the date for 2009?

Imminent Catastrophe

June 20, 2009 June 19, 2010 June 18, 2011 June 16, 2012 June 22, 2013 June 21, 2014 ...from the Race Guide. Looks like they plan ahead in Duluth.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

protoplasm72

Well the first 16 miles were nice but then I started to cramp. Was a little warm for my Chicagoan blood. 60 max would of been perfect. Had a 25 minute difference from first half to second half Dead Otherwise it was good. Liked the ice cream in the finish area.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Imminent Catastrophe

Well the first 16 miles were nice but then I started to cramp. Was a little warm for my Chicagoan blood. 60 max would of been perfect. Had a 25 minute difference from first half to second half Dead Otherwise it was good. Liked the ice cream in the finish area.
            That would be the ice cream that they ran out of before I got there Angry Serves me right for going so slow!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The ice cream is always great, but it is worth headed up to Portland Malt Shoppe on Superior Street where the ice cream is better. PerfesserR, you should check it out before you leave town.

Imminent Catastrophe

We didn't get to check out the ice cream, unfortunately. That's the drawback of staying in Superior. Regarding the headphone ban...it was strange to see nobody wearing headphones. Personally I think there is no good reason to ban them on this type of course, it's closed to traffic and there is little chance of a safety problem. I only rarely use them and would not have worn one since I was running with a friend but I see no good reason for banning them. The ban was originally instituted for elite athletes: USATF enacted the ban in accordance with a rule put in place by the IAAF which banned the use of headphones in championship events. The IAAF ban was intended to prevent athletes from receiving information via radio about the whereabouts of their rivals, a practice which is permitted in the big bicycle tours, like the Tour de France. The headphone ban was intended for elites, and we mid-to-back of the pack runners are just collateral damage. Applying this rule to non-elite runners is just silly.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

A friend ran last year in headphones. His BQ was DQd and his results disappeared from the website about two weeks after the race. Seems they had somebody taking down numbers on the course. Of course, marathonguide never updates, so his results are still there.
                    If I didn't know better, I would think you were describing my race ... weather was decent, but when it warmed up around mile 18, my right hamstring knotted up and I gimped my way though the last 8 miles ... 1:45 in the first half and 2:13 in the 2nd half (an ugly end to an otherwise nice day). After the medal and shirt, my first question was ... "where's the ice cream" ... mmmm mint chocolate chip.
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

How is the shirt? Anybody got pics?

Imminent Catastrophe

How is the shirt? Anybody got pics?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

DAMNIT! I like that shirt. Sheesh. Sad
                            Great race, but it was warmer than ideal.
                            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Perhaps, but much cooler than the few years that came before.

Imminent Catastrophe

Great race, but it was warmer than ideal.
                                Yankee! Wink Seriously, the showers that moved in later cooled it off a lot.