Grandmas Marathon

ONE WEEK!! (Read 339 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Everybody ready? I'm on the road, headed towards Duluth right now...
      I arrived yesterday - went for a short run in the heat and humidity! Off today to have my 1st Betty's Pie.

2018 Goals:

Get Lucky Half  1:47:59

Grandmas Marathon

Fall Marathon - Twin Cities??

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

We need a pie report...
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

We need to plan us a big RA photo. Perhaps by the fountain in Canal Park either before or after the race sometime? I anticipate that our finishing range is somewhere between 3:30 and 4:30 or 5:00. Would those who are going to finish fast mind hanging out long enough to plan a get-together after 5ish hours?
            I'll plan to be around. Looking forward to it. See you guys up there.
            Phil7757

Sounds Great --- Look forward to meeting you guys and the Betty's pies. How's the weather up there.
                Count me in. Cool

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Hi guys! I'll be on the road early Thursday morning. I'm up for a group photo. My brother (milerunner2425) will also be running too. He doesn't think I can BQ, but I've got other plans. Hopefully I finish with enough time to down a few Mountain Dews before the photo. Can't remember the last time i had one, such a craving now...
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Okay. Marathon starts at 7:30 am. Figure 15 minutes for everybody to get through the starting line and up to 5:00 for all of us to finish. That is 12:45. Shall we shoot for a 1:30 photo op / meetup? Where to meet? The finish area is a zoo. There are two lighthouses, one out on a pier on the side of the canal closest to the finishing area, and another across the canal, also out on a pier. If you face the canal, with your back to the finish area, the lake and the lighthouses will be to your left. At the point where the pier meets the rocks, you will likely see a bunch of marathoners wading in the water, just over a big pile of black boulders. We can meet on the walkway between the black rocks and the finishers area, right near the pierhead for the lighthouse. Here is the main lighthouse out on the pier: Here is the lighthouse across the canal, on another pier: Here is the lighthouse and pier seen from the black rocks that line the lake shore and the walkway: Here is me, after Grandma's last year, wading in the lake to cool my legs (you will likely see a bunch of folks doing this): Is this time and location okay? I will likely look the same but may be wearing a dark shirt with the monkey on it. Here is a map to that location: click
                      He doesn't think I can BQ, but I've got other plans. Joe, If you want someone to pace with, I'd be glad to try to. I've managed a 3:15 before, but would love to do it in 3:10. The photo sounds good about 1:30.
                        1:30 it is ... I'll look for the flying monkey shirt.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

hey Mike, Sure, I'm up for having some company. I am planning on starting near the 3:10 pace group, so I'll meet you around there tomorrow morning. I'll be wearing black shorts and a red shirt. Good luck to everyone tomorrow!!
                            Good Luck everyone - hope everyone has fun! I'll be bringing up the rear, so if you drop anything by accident, I'll bring in in for you. Any stray flying monkeys I'll be sure to herd up. 1:30 PM "on the rocks" - nice sounding after run drink! By the way, Betty's Pie is under new ownership! As an alternative, we tried Vanilla Bean!

2018 Goals:

Get Lucky Half  1:47:59

Grandmas Marathon

Fall Marathon - Twin Cities??

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

(they have been under new ownership for a few years, but the pies are still great) If'n anybody reads this, I will be hanging at the southwest side of the car dealership building before the race. That is the corner closes to the starting line banner. Swing by and say Hi! Kick grandma's butt in the morning.
                                Joe, Sorry I missed your post, we were already on the road. I don't think it would have helped either one of us, had we run together, it was pretty brutal out there. We were probably pretty close though, I started out with the 3:10 pace group, but it was such a large group I went ahead after a couple of miles. They went blowiing past me again at about mile 18, when I was starting to fade. Maybe next year.