Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon

Your thoughts? (Read 361 times)

C-R

I like TanyaS idea (but can you make it two in a row so I don't get shut out next year Wink).

The $500 charity thing just seems counter to the original intent - an antidote to the megathons. I think the marathon is great based on my one run and two registrations. Others who have run multiple Monkeys may be able to add more suggestions. Keeping it simple will keep your stress down as well.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

A Saucy Wench

If it's that important to someone, he or she will find a speedier computer on August 1st at 5:00 a.m.

I think in the long run you have to decide what kind of marathon you want it to be.  Do you want it to be primarily a marathon of friends in which case you keep the pre-reg and let the rest fight it out.  Or do you want it to be this quirky little bucket list marathon in which case you ditch the pre-reg (personal pouty face, but trying to think rationally). 

But no, can't say the charity thing holds much charm or odds of success.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Hoodoo Guru

you really don't have a choice, it's either first come, first served or a lottery.

with special early registration if you want it

What? you were looking for original ideas from this bunch?

The tangents are moot.

Leave the registration open all day.  At the end of the day, go through the list and just pick the people you like until you get to 200, and tell everyone else they didn't get in.

Skooter 3.0

It favors folks with a fast internet connection and quick fingers.

Awesome!

3 simple words: RunningAhead only race. Or, since so many are returning racers, do it so that there are 50 slots a year open to new people, and have 200 slots for repeat offenders to fight over. If you prefer to give new people a shot, otherwise I say be as exclusive as possible.

Another idea- 3 categories: New People (a limited number of spots) Returning racers (a limited number of spots) and Streaking Idiots (unlimited as long as they keep the streak going) If a streaker skips a year they have to vie for a spot with the other returning racers, but there's preference shown to those who repeat offend.

Goals?

DoppleBock

Not sure ...

What ever you do to stay the same or change you will piss someone off - that I know.

Its too bad it could not be 400 people instead - The course would handle it just fine ... maybe work it out will the park to raise the fee to add $5-$10 a person to go to the park and they will increase your permit to 400 people? 

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

400, the park will let us do.  I am not sure that the runners want that many other runners though.  And the volunteers stuffing packets may get overwhelmed at that number.  Or so I hear.

Skooter 3.0

1) 400 is fine

2) I'll help stuff....ahem, packets.

Goals?

DoppleBock

I woud inch your way up to 400.  Maybe 250 + extras in 2011

As long as there is enough parking - The course is definately wide enough to support it.

I would also inch your way into the charity thing - Maybe offer 10-20 spots for raising $200-$250 for friends of the park

Maybe hold a raffle for a couple of entries before the actual registration opens.

So 250 + extras + raffle spots + 10-20 charity would = 275 to 300 in 2011

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

252 registered so far in 2010.

Wait, did I just admit that?

C-R

DB's answer wins.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

And the volunteers stuffing packets may get overwhelmed at that number.  Or so I hear.

How about no packets...Just pick up number/shirts at the "expo"?  ... Unless you have to do packets for sponsors or something.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have to sort the shirts beforehand since we do the names on the shirts.  I also have to match comparable size cotton shirts with the fancy tech ones.  And I have to match the bib with them so that it is easy to hand off all at once.  Either we can spend time putting all this stuff together prerace, or we can do it at packet pickup.  Either way, it takes loads of people.  I prefer to do it beforehand, since that reduces last minute chaos (which we had for Monkey 1).

Or I could eliminate shirts and it would be a whole lot easier.

I'm not going to be able to help with packet stuffing this year Sad

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey