Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon

Monkey Training - Little did I know the extent of damage done by todays run... (Read 470 times)

I'd be curious to see the rest of your sole. Looks to me like you heel strike very hard, which is what's causing the excessive wear on the back portion of the shoe. That excessive wear is a sign of energy being lost in every step. You might benefit from paying attention to how your foot is striking the ground, making sure you're not "braking" with your foot strike, and maybe working on landing closer to the midfoot, rather than the heel.
    I don't have a pic right now, but the wear pattern on my shoes show that I strike on the outside of the heel, then push off on the inside near my big toe. The area directly under the ball of my foot on the "big toe" side also shows pretty significant wear. The heel wear is only on that small part that I strike, and the rest of the sole (on the heel) isn't worn much at all. I'll start trying to strike more toward the midfoot and see how that works out. BTW - How is the achilles feeling?

Why is it sideways?

BTW - How is the achilles feeling?
      Meh.

The Thunder

Tony, make sure you're getting a motion control shoe. Sounds like you have a lot of severe pronation going on there! I'd go by Team Nashville if I were you and make sure I get fitted properly for a good shoe. Plus, support your local running community and don't order online! Sure it may cost a little more, but those guys donate a lot of time, energy, and products to races, and runs. You'll get it back!

1 Hip and 2 Hamstring reconstructions later…

Tony, make sure you're getting a motion control shoe. Sounds like you have a lot of severe pronation going on there! I'd go by Team Nashville if I were you and make sure I get fitted properly for a good shoe. Plus, support your local running community and don't order online! Sure it may cost a little more, but those guys donate a lot of time, energy, and products to races, and runs. You'll get it back!
          Yeah I agree w/you on supporting the local running stores. When I first started running I went to a Fleetfeet in Nashville and got fitted w/a shoe to correct pronation - Saucony Trigon Guide 4, went through 2 pair of those, then went to the Murf Fleetfeet, got fitted again, but this time w/a new model of Saucony which didn't work well for me. I found the ones that worked on the internet and have been trying to stay with them. I know eventually I'll have to get fitted again w/ the latest, greatest, but for now, the internet is the only place I can find the ones that work for me.
            Jeff wants to look at your sole Tony...hehe

The Thunder

Yeah I agree w/you on supporting the local running stores. When I first started running I went to a Fleetfeet in Nashville and got fitted w/a shoe to correct pronation - Saucony Trigon Guide 4, went through 2 pair of those, then went to the Murf Fleetfeet, got fitted again, but this time w/a new model of Saucony which didn't work well for me. I found the ones that worked on the internet and have been trying to stay with them. I know eventually I'll have to get fitted again w/ the latest, greatest, but for now, the internet is the only place I can find the ones that work for me.
              Ha, we must have a little communication error here. Fleet Feet is a national chain. Sure the locations are franchised out, but they are total sell-outs. They also don't know crap about fitting shoes. Go to Team Nashville, or Athlete's house. They'll take good care of you, and get you in the right shoe. The right show isn't on the internet, because you aren't an expert. I NEVER order from the internet and I've been running for the last 15 years. I always want my pro of choice (Terry Coker @ Team Nashville) to fit me to the best shoe. *Sits back and waits for my commission to start rolling in*

1 Hip and 2 Hamstring reconstructions later…

Lazy idiot

The right shoe isn't on the internet, because you aren't an expert.
                While I'll agree that Tony may not be an expert, I'd say the right shoe is one that is comfortable, fits properly, does not contribute to injury, and allows one's body to do what it's supposed to do. Certainly, those shoes could be on the internet. That said, I still say support your local stores. I've got mine and I'm happy to pay a $5-$10 premium to make sure that they stay in business.

Tick tock

Ha, we must have a little communication error here. Fleet Feet is a national chain. Sure the locations are franchised out, but they are total sell-outs. They also don't know crap about fitting shoes. Go to Team Nashville, or Athlete's house. They'll take good care of you, and get you in the right shoe. The right show isn't on the internet, because you aren't an expert. I NEVER order from the internet and I've been running for the last 15 years. I always want my pro of choice (Terry Coker @ Team Nashville) to fit me to the best shoe. *Sits back and waits for my commission to start rolling in*
                  Ok yeah, I guess I did misunderstand. I'll try either Team Nashville or Athlete's house next time. The first time I went to the Fleetfeet (in Nashville), I think they did a good job. (My measure of "the right shoe" is that I can run without pain) I see the guy who is the owner/manager (not sure of his name) at a lot of the local races, so it appears they at least support the races, maybe not to the extent of Athlete's House or Team Nashville. Anyway, to be honest, I'm just selfish enough to do what works regardless of the altruism associated with buying from the local running stores. I have a $130 pair of Saucony I bought from FF in Murf that should be called "The Cruel Shoes" (you're probably too young to remember Steve Martin's skit...never mind). They didn't hurt my feet and felt comfortable, but after a few weeks of running in them, my calves and back started hurting, so I switched back to my older shoes and the pain went away...so I bought another pair of the old model...from the internet. That said, I am willing to pay a little extra (not a lot extra) to buy locally because of the race support and expertise. MTA: ...and to make sure you get your commission. Big grin