Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon

Unprovoked attack in PWP - this could happen to you (Read 645 times)

Great race report, by the way. I learned some valuable info on running through a cramp. And you also scared the crap out of me.
    Yes, great race report. Reminds me of why I just did the Half this year at CMM. I'm really gonna hate this. If I'm walking and you lap me at the Monkey...just pretend you don't see me. Dead

S&M Collector

Yes, great race report. Reminds me of why I just did the Half this year at CMM. I'm really gonna hate this. If I'm walking and you lap me at the Monkey...just pretend you don't see me. Dead
      Thanks. I really hated Tupelo and swore I'd never go back and run this one. But, that was just my wounded pride. I met some really cool people who I am now good friends with. And, I also met Trent there. Wink Tony, I may have missed it, but will the monkey be your first marathon? You'll be fine! CMM Half was a great breakthrough for you. So, if you just just up your mileage and be consistent in training, you should be fine.
      Come across any cool medals lately?
        No this will be my 3rd. First was CMM 2007, 2nd was Marine Corps Marathon 2007. Stomach problems at the top of the hill at mile 17 put me in a "walk/jog, push just hard enough to NOT throw up again" mode in my first. At MCM I was on target to break 4 hours but between mile 20 & 21 I ran out of gas...or wimped out..or something. The CMM half this year was really the first time I've been able to run hard and not have stomach problems. I did some mile repeats and LT runs which I think made a big difference.

S&M Collector

Oh, that's right. I remember reading about some of this on the NS site. It sounds like you were able to diagnose the problem and dial into those variables that were necessary to correct the problem. Once you find the formula, you can stick to it! That's why I always eat oatmeal now before marathons and long runs. I know what to expect. I've heard good things about MCM. This group that I run with on Wednesdays and Saturday mornings out here in H'ville is sending 35 people. They had some cancellations, so if you know of anybody that wants in, they can transfer bib numbers. They are trying hard to get me to run it, but it just doesn't seem like my thing. I'm committed to only running the no frills (course that's hard as a mother f'er) races in '08. Wink So, far I've stuck to the plan.
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

How can they transfer bibs?

S&M Collector

Not sure. I guess they can though. Maybe it's on the MCM web site. Or, maybe there are a whole bunch of misinformed locals.

S&M Collector

OK, whew! I found it. For a second, I thought we were going to need to enlist the help of Internet Detective. MCM Transfer Policy Registered but unable to run? You can transfer your 2008 MCM entry to another would-be marathoner between July 30 and September 22. The new transfer system for the 2008 MCM will require the registered runner to fill out the online transferor request form and receive a confirmation email with a one-time use code. This email should be passed to the transferee, who will need the code to fill out the online transferee application and pay the $25 transfer fee. Click here for more details.
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Cool, that is new. I wonder if bibs from Rivergate are so tarnished that they cannot be transferred... Are you riding down to Tupelo with us? I'm driving. Leaving around 11ish from Nashville.

S&M Collector

Are you riding down to Tupelo with us? I'm driving. Leaving around 11ish from Nashville.
                    It's a possibility. I appreciate the offer and I'm glad to hear that you have a plan! One out of five ain't bad! I'm trying to get the low down on what MJ and GITM's plans are as well, so we can all make the operation run as smoothly as possible. The latest is that MJ is coming to Nasvhille on Friday, but wasn't sure if he was driving or flying. And, GITM? I haven't the slightest idea what his plans are. I've asked him twice. MTA: GITM said he is driving, which I guess means he's not coming thru Nashville prior.
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Our names are still not on the Tupelo marathon name list...
                        Tony. I feel you on the stromach issues. I ran my worse marathon ever 3 weeks before CMM this year because of stomach issues. You may hear people around here refer to it as "Candicing" You don't really want to know what that means.

Imminent Catastrophe

Candicing (v). I'll have to remember that. Big grin

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Oh, that's right. I remember reading about some of this on the NS site. It sounds like you were able to diagnose the problem and dial into those variables that were necessary to correct the problem. Once you find the formula, you can stick to it! That's why I always eat oatmeal now before marathons and long runs. I know what to expect. I've heard good things about MCM. This group that I run with on Wednesdays and Saturday mornings out here in H'ville is sending 35 people. They had some cancellations, so if you know of anybody that wants in, they can transfer bib numbers. They are trying hard to get me to run it, but it just doesn't seem like my thing. I'm committed to only running the no frills (course that's hard as a mother f'er) races in '08. Wink So, far I've stuck to the plan.
                            I'm glad I did MCM even though I realized that after mile 15 or so I don't care at all about the sights to see. Before it started, standing there in front of the Pentagon with 30,000 people hearing the National Anthem and watching two V-22 Ospreys fly toward the horizon as the sun was rising is really pretty hard to describe. It's a picture in my mind that I don't think I'll ever forget. The finish at the Iwo Jima Memorial was pretty awesome too. At the beginning of the hill up to the finish were the words "Semper Fi - beat the hill", so that gave everybody a kick in the pants to run up the hill no matter how much like hell they felt. The downside is - it was really crowded all the way through. At the water stops, masses of people would just stop and it was tough to go around them. Unlike the CMM, everyone was running the Full because there was no Half.
                              Tony. I feel you on the stromach issues. I ran my worse marathon ever 3 weeks before CMM this year because of stomach issues. You may hear people around here refer to it as "Candicing" You don't really want to know what that means.
                              Too late Sad I've expanded my vocabulary now Big grin After the MCM I ran a 5k and I was so mad at myself for walking that I decided to rn hard and not stop unless I passed out or threw up. At about the 2.5 mile point just after a turnaround where everyone was running facing me, I didn't pass out, but I started hurling. It was an impressive display of athletic prowess. I still managed to PR, but it was not pretty.

S&M Collector

Hey Tony, Speaking of Marine Corps, they are changing the route this year to make it less challening for runners. This is SO unmonkeyish. http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/stories/2008/08/18/daily35.html