Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon

Time conversion (Read 606 times)

runforthehills

We've all seen those tables used to estimate race times based on other races (e.g., estimated marathon time based on 10K time, etc.). Is there a similar table or conversion for estimating Monkey time based on a traditional, bland marathon time?
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

This gets much discussion. We still do not know for sure. That is part of why we ask what your last fastest time was upon registration. Our guess is that it is about 5% off if you try, but many people don't even try...
      JakeKnight

A lot of people say 8-10 minutes. I'd say for the average 4-hour marathoner, that's pretty darn close. Of course, just like McMillan assumes you're trained for the distance, the Monkey 8-10 theorem assumes you've trained on hills. Extensively. For the semi-elites, who've trained on hills, I'd say more like 5-8 minutes. For 5 hour marathoners, more like half an hour. For people who haven't trained on hills ... well, good luck. Don't be last. Monkeys pick of the weak and the stragglers first.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

So if a person is trained for the distance and ran the 11.2, plugged the 10 mile split into McMillan, shouldn't that give them a good pace goal? I'm running the Murfreesboro HM in October, but I don't expect it to tell me much about a goal pace for the Monkey.

Why is it sideways?

I think that a good rule of thumb for the monkey is to start out at your everyday pace. If you were going to go out and run a solid 10 miler on any old day, what pace would you normally run? Start out at that effort. If you still feel good at the top of the hill mile 19, you have permission to pick it up. Modified to add: Every mile split will be different if you run at a consistent effort. For checking my pace, I "chunked" the race into 7 mile sections and had ball park time goals, therefore, for 7, 14, and 21 (of course, by 21 you either got it or you don't).
              Who really cares? It's Monkey. We're all going to die.

Who really cares? It's Monkey. We're all going to die.
                Yes, but some of you might die faster than others of us. Smile

Amy

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The monkeys prefer their meat to be cold and slightly putrefied.
                  JakeKnight

Yes, but some of you might die faster than others of us. Smile
                    Not me, baby. I'm hanging with the fun kids in the rear. It's gonna be a 4 5 6 hour party.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                    -----------------------------

Not me, baby. I'm hanging with the fun kids in the rear. It's gonna be a 4 5 6 hour party.
                      Woohoo! Bring a pack of cards. We can play Spades.

Amy

Lazy idiot

Woohoo! Bring a pack of cards. We can play Spades.
                        I'm in.

Tick tock

runforthehills

A lot of people say 8-10 minutes. I'd say for the average 4-hour marathoner, that's pretty darn close. Of course, just like McMillan assumes you're trained for the distance, the Monkey 8-10 theorem assumes you've trained on hills. Extensively. For the semi-elites, who've trained on hills, I'd say more like 5-8 minutes. For 5 hour marathoners, more like half an hour. For people who haven't trained on hills ... well, good luck. Don't be last. Monkeys pick of the weak and the stragglers first.
                          Yikes! 8-10 minutes off my typical time? Shame awaits...

The Thunder

I'm actually thinking about leaving the watch at home for this one....could be interesting.

1 Hip and 2 Hamstring reconstructions later…

Oh Mighty Wing

I'm actually thinking about leaving the watch at home for this one....could be interesting.
                              I thought about that too as it won't do me much good other than to tell me what time it is.

The Thunder

I thought about that too as it won't do me much good other than to tell me what time it is.
                                Yeah...this would be a big deal for me. I don't think I have ever....EVER raced w/out a watch. Like ever since High School XC. Not one race. EVER. But I'm thinking about it. It would be a big step for me. To run by feel.....hmmmmm

1 Hip and 2 Hamstring reconstructions later…