Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon

Your suggestions are needed (Read 1058 times)

A Saucy Wench

Thanks DB!

An issue with doing the lottery outside the registration software is then getting the winners (or, in the case of Monkey, losers) an ability to register formally while excluding the others.  AS we have proven, passwords can be shared.

People who register with a pilfered password forfeit registration fee.  Forfeited fees go to cover part of the tab at Mafiosa's

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I meant maybe you should just send the top 5 male & female's a letter in the mail a couple of months before august 1st asking them to please send it in by a certain date with their payment if they plan to run. That's what the Paavo does....well, except they don't charge us a race entry fee. And I think they only send the top 3 from each sex a free slot.

Imminent Catastrophe

I like to see sex and free in the same sentence.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I'm too exhausted to read this whole thread, but I'd suggest allowing the top 3 overall m/f and top 3 masters m/f back, considering that the median age for this marathon appears to be, um, older anyway.

Then I'd just allow the streakers. If you continue to allow 200+ people to register early for half a week, you should at least clarify this on the HHFMM site (and maybe in the "sold out in 3 minutes!!" statements....).

xor

>> master m/f

I want THAT on my shirt.

Hoodoo Guru

People who register with a pilfered password forfeit registration fee.  Forfeited fees go to cover part of the tab at Mafiosa's

Ding! Ding! Ding!  We have a winner!

The tangents are moot.

DoppleBock

Part of the fine print you agree to ... I have not used a pilfered password ... I understand if I am not on the list authorized to use this password, my entry fee will be forfeited.  I also understand that DB will receive 40% of the forfeited monies to help him buy enough beer to sing dirty, silly songs.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

you should at least clarify this on the HHFMM site (and maybe in the "sold out in 3 minutes!!" statements....).

Not sure what you mean.

Anyhow, here are the current stats of registrants, now that we expanded the field somewhat.

- 118 (40%) will be attempting Monkey for the first time
                  - 72  (24%) have completed one Monkey
                  - 43  (15%) have completed two Monkeys
                  - 27   (9%) have completed three Monkeys
                  - 17   (6%) have completed four Monkey
                  - 17   (6%) have completed EVERY Monkey. <- Streakers.

And it appears that 7 will be running Monkey as their first marathon.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Streakers to fall off this year include:

Bill Rodriguez

Tanya Savory

Rhonda Wagner is a streaker who always registers after her September IronMan, and I have yet to pay for my registration.

Hey Trent -- this will be Gina Colston's first monkey.  You have her listed as 1 prior kill.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Then she put that in when she registered.  I will correct that, and perhaps she will now need to be punished.

Tell her she has to run it twice.  Big grin

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I just looked a bit more closely at the numbers and found 4 first times who put down that they have completed a monkey.  I need to look even more closely when I get a chance.

Lazy idiot

Not sure what you mean.

My understanding of what Tanya was trying to say was that the stated wording of the sold out statements may imply to those not familiar with the "repeat offender" situation is that you sold 200(+) spots in 3:58. 

As it happened, you actually sold considerably less in the 8:00:00-8:03:58 window.

It's not just a popular race, it's a popular race that is already 60%+ full by the time the average Jack and Jill have a chance to sign up.

Tick tock

FWIW, the Buckeye Trail 50K is the same way.  If you've run it before, they send out an email to register before posting it up on the website.  It usually sells out very quickly as well. Maybe not 4 minutes, not sure.  Registration opens at midnight.  At least it did a couple of years ago.  Not sure about now.

They have a volunteer clause in registration that says you have to volunteer 3 hours at any race during the year to run the BT50K.  You have to provide proof by having the RD of the race sign the sheet, and then you send it in.  Not sure how that affects their numbers of actual participants.

Anyway, their website says nothing about letting race veterans sign up first.  I'm not sure what the right answer is or if there is one.  It is impossible to make everyone happy.